Author Topic: WCS "Oversharing?"  (Read 258 times)

Offline PeteQ60

WCS "Oversharing?"
« on: March 02, 2024, 11:13:00 AM »
Having inherited a WCS @ just over 4 months old at Christmas and being not only new to Spaniel but also dog ownership (more in my "Introductions" post) the last couple of months have been a real journey! We're underway with the basics and gun dog training and she's a star but I'm a little slower on the uptake! There is a real weird one that I thought I might share. My wife being W African buys Cow's foot for cooking and our doggo loves the bone, when she gets the bone she'll curl her lip and growl at the kids if they come near her but if I'm laying back on the sofa she'll jump on me with the bone and try to push it in my hand and even try to push it in my mouth, like she wants me to chew it with her. Seems strange behaviour to me but I was wondering if it has any meaning? Or it's only normal?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: WCS "Oversharing?"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 12:41:03 PM »
Hi. Having lost our 12 year old wcd last year we now have a 16 week old pup.  Personally, I would intervene if she is growling at the kids and take it off her with a leave command and replace  with something  else less tasty.Let her have it back and repeat until she learns that growling at the kids means lovely treats get taken away. 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Re: WCS "Oversharing?"
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 11:19:33 AM »
Having inherited a WCS @ just over 4 months old at Christmas and being not only new to Spaniel but also dog ownership (more in my "Introductions" post) the last couple of months have been a real journey! We're underway with the basics and gun dog training and she's a star but I'm a little slower on the uptake! There is a real weird one that I thought I might share. My wife being W African buys Cow's foot for cooking and our doggo loves the bone, when she gets the bone she'll curl her lip and growl at the kids if they come near her but if I'm laying back on the sofa she'll jump on me with the bone and try to push it in my hand and even try to push it in my mouth, like she wants me to chew it with her. Seems strange behaviour to me but I was wondering if it has any meaning? Or it's only normal?
She loves you!
I am no expert, but am learning that 'normal' and 'Cocker' do not belong in the same sentence