Author Topic: Full tail ? What to trim off pls show ring  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Blondeduke

Full tail ? What to trim off pls show ring
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
My groomer is kindly teaching me how to handstrip my pup but am going back to finish off( it was a long 1st session ) but our previous spaniels were always docked. Just wanting to check do we have to trim all the hair off his beautiful long tail if I decided to show him? I have been looking for pictures of winners & it's hard to see but if anyone can offer an expert opinion on current trim that would be most helpful. Thank you.

Offline Barry H

Re: Full tail ? What to trim off pls show ring
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
I don't show but like to have Jack in proper show trim (ie handstripped with a bit of judicious scissoring).  I also don't think there's a 'right' way necessarily, just what looks neat and natural.

Here's what I do: I normally leave his natural tail length (about 2-2.5") at the base of the tail for a few inches up the length then trim a gently curved taper in line with this up to the tip which is slightly rounded off (ie no point).  To me this is more pleasing that a straight line.  I like to think of it as a carving knife shape with the straight edge being the top of the tail.  Takes a bit of practice to get the right shape.  Confidence is key and scissors must be sharp.  Tip: go slow and steady and don't cut until the tail is still.  Jack has a tendency to twitch his tail at the very nanosecond I want to trim! 

Hope that makes sense!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
When I saw that photo I thought you were going to suggest trimming the tail with the knife  :fear2: :fear2:  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
I show and have done for many years. The standard asks for tails to be well feathered. I trim my dogs' tails so they have a tidy shape but never take all the feathering off- plenty do as is their choice. When I'm judging cockers I prefer a well feathered and neatly trimmed tail. Hope this helps!