Author Topic: Hey your dog's not a real cocker spaniel  (Read 3395 times)

Offline shane

• Site Member
  • Hi from Shane, Tracie, Evie & Milo
Hey your dog's not a real cocker spaniel
« on: September 02, 2007, 04:12:09 PM »
We first got a cocker after seeing a show type at the school that my kids go to. We bought a working type cocker, she is absolutely gorgeous, a little bit mad, but everything you could want in a dog. When we walked Evie our lovely cocker down to the school to pick up the kids, everybody gave her lots of attention and cuddles as you can imagine, but the lady who owns the show type cocker spaniel seemed to not like our dog and didn't come anywhere near us. She also has a daughter in the same class as mine. The following day my little girl came out of school, upset. We asked what was wrong, she said that the other children had been unkind to her and said that "our dog was not a real cocker spaniel", and that Evie was a cocker spaniel cross with another dog. We asked who had said this?  It turned out that, the lady who owns the show type cocker, had told her daughter that our Evie was not a real pedigree because she didn't look the same as they're dog, the daughter had gone back into school and told the other children what her mum had said. Kids being kids, were quite unkind. We told our daughter to take no notice and that the lady was just ignorant and didn't really know what she was talking about. This didn't really help because as you know, when you have a dog you love it, you are excited and you talk about it a lot, which is what my daughter does, but when she does the other kids, question her, a year on the problem is still there. I feel a little angry about this, but what can we do! We know Evie is a very good pedigree dog with lot's of Ftch's in her blood line. At the end of the day we wouldn't be with out Evie, she is a huge part of our family and thats what really matters.
The love of a dog for his master is notorious; as an old writer quaintly says, "A dog is the only thing on this earth that luvs you more than he luvs him self ...

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: Hey your dog's not a real cocker spaniel
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »
 >:D  >:D I'd have a word with the lady and tell her not to be so blimmin ignorant because it's rubbing off on her daughter. If she actually knew about her dog's history enough to be telling others about your dog she'd know better. Or... you could be polite and direct her to this site, she'll soon learn!

I understand that people don't realise but when they say silly things like this to young impressionable children and refuse to be correctd it makes me really angry.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »
We were talking to a lady at a show a few weeks ago and said to her, "oh you've got the worker..."  She was really pleased that her dog was recognised because she'd been convinced that she had been done by the breeder and had even checked details registered at the kennel club thinking it was a sprocker or similar..

After all, didn't show types come from development of the worker  ;)

Mind you a car drew up next to us in the woods yesterday and out came the most gorg Clumber  :luv:, the same colour as Jasper but only a few months old. Again the owner was chuffed that someone knew it was a clumber before it even got out of the car, he has however been accused of having an over weight cocker in the past....

Some people are just ignorant!  It's a shame this lady has to pass it on to her children though..

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »
What a shame :(

I have recently found out that there are people in the dog world (just like all walks of life) who are quite happy to disappoint and upset children in order to score cheap points..... ::)

Is there a junior handling or training class nearby? Maybe your daughter could join in with that and meet like-minded friends who are better educated about the important parts of dog ownership  ;)

Take a look at the Young Kennel Club, too; the literature and events are excellent and promote having fun as the most important part of owning a dog  ;) Lil'bit has just joined and loves looking through her membership folder and all the information on the website - she is already nagging for us to go to a YKC camp; she is only six, so can't go for another two years  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
Stupid, ignorant woman  >:D This is what I would do. Take a copy of Evie's pedigree, and show it to her.  Point out the champions in her blood lines and explain she is a working cocker and not a show cocker, which is why she looks different to her dog, but she is still a pedigree dog.  Also point out how her comments about Evie have rubbed off on her daughter which has resulted in your daughter being picked on at school.  I would also point out how much you love Evie and how much a part of your family she is and that you wouldn't care less if she had a poor pedigree it is really irrelevant if you love your dog and that you are not so shallow.  For added effect and humiliation do it whilst there are other people around as well to hear  ;)
Ann and Pringle

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 05:33:02 PM »
I would definatelty say something to this lady. I'd politely point out how upset your daughter has been because of what she has said, and ask her to tell her children the truth so that your daughter doesn't suffer anymore unkindness in school.

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 05:41:53 PM »
What a load of rubbish coming out of her mouth, I'd certainly have a word with her and then leave her to it. Rachel's idea is a good one; see if she can hook up with other young people with dogs and have fun.  :blink:

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
I was also going to say show her Evie's pedigree but you could also recommend she reads up on the history of the cocker spaniel.  This site gives information and has some lovely photos which show the difference between the two.

http://www.felsteadgundogs.com/ (hope Im not breaking any rules!)

Pat

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:11:41 PM »
The next project she does I would do one on cocker spaniels and give the other class mates some education on Cocker Spaniels, I really wouldnt like to show that I was as ignorant as her but Id turn the tables and make a fool of her in the nicest possible way ;)

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »
oh, how silly some people can be!  >:(

i've had quite a few people inform me that i clearly have a cross-breed and one lady even tell me that i had been conned by barkley's breeder. happily there are now a couple of other young working cockers in our village and so everyone around here is getting a bit more knowledgeable. :)

this lady takes the biscuit though, insinuating things to her child which she must know would get passed on in school. it's quite nasty. if it were me, i think i would approach her next time and suggest that if she has never come across a working strain cocker spaniel before she might find it interesting to do a search on google in order to learn more about them. i honestly tell people that i never knew they existed before i met one a couple of years ago. there are bound to be some who still don't believe you- particularly those how believe themselves to be all knowing when it comes to dogs- but at least you'll have tried to educate her!  ;)

i hope your daughter isn't too upset.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 06:13:33 PM »
 >:( >:( >:D >:D  This lady obviously didn't do any research about cocker spaniels before she got her show type  ::)

Yesterday a girl came into work that has a show cocker and I said ' What a lovely show cocker you have' reply 'Oh he's not a show cocker I don't go in for that showing lark'

I tried to explain that he was a show strain she didn't actually have to show him, when i said I had working cockers i got greeted with 'I wouldn't work a cocker they are totally mad and you can't train them like you can other breeds of dogs like labs'   Arrrrggggh I'm sorry guys but I gave up, when I said I've got a lab too and she said 'Well YOU should know then!'  >:D >:D >:D

The next project she does I would do one on cocker spaniels and give the other class mates some education on Cocker Spaniels, I really wouldnt like to show that I was as ignorant as her but Id turn the tables and make a fool of her in the nicest possible way ;)

That is a great idea  ;) 

Cazzie

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Yes Id also tell her that there is nothing worse than people thinking they know about dogs  ::) :lol:

Offline shane

• Site Member
  • Hi from Shane, Tracie, Evie & Milo
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. It is clear to see, this silly women and her lack of knowledge of cocker spaniels, has also wound you up to.                         I think we can safely say "she hasn't got a clue, as to what she is talking about".
The idea Cazzie had about doing a school project, sounds a great idea.  At the school our daughter attends, the children are encouraged to bring things in that are of interest to them. Maybe, we could stick some photo's of Evie and other cocker's in a scrap book for the children in the class to compare also, some information, about the differences between a Working Cocker and The Show type, plus a copy of Evie's Pedigree papers. This will help give our daughter confidence to correct anybody questioning Evie's breed in the future.
The love of a dog for his master is notorious; as an old writer quaintly says, "A dog is the only thing on this earth that luvs you more than he luvs him self ...

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:01:04 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. It is clear to see, this silly women and her lack of knowledge of cocker spaniels, has also wound you up to.                         I think we can safely say "she hasn't got a clue, as to what she is talking about".
The idea Cazzie had about doing a school project, sounds a great idea.  At the school our daughter attends, the children are encouraged to bring things in that are of interest to them. Maybe, we could stick some photo's of Evie and other cocker's in a scrap book for the children in the class to compare also, some information, about the differences between a Working Cocker and The Show type, plus a copy of Evie's Pedigree papers. This will help give our daughter confidence to correct anybody questioning Evie's breed in the future.

If you do a project and want to copy any of my photos for this then just PM me and you can  ;)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »
There are other breeds that have a working and show line such as labradors, border collies and springers, it's just that most people don't realise this until they research  :blink:.
Cayley.