Author Topic: my story  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
my story
« on: September 02, 2007, 06:17:49 PM »
I hope you are all ready for this, its a long story how I got BLACKY !
well it all started when I went to a customer's house (I deliver bottles of lemonade to peoples door) I called at a customers house and this lovely dog came out and jumped onto me. I said "that is a lovely dog" she then said "do you want it " i then said "you dont just give a dog like that away they cost £300 a pup.. she then said "It's not being looked after, it only gets feed when the grand kids come down" so I took him. since then I have spent a fortune on him and he is worth every penny. I am trying to get the papers for him but I think that it will never happen...ahh !I am now thinking of buying a pure blue roan pup and then breeding of her when she is ready but not with BLACKY if I dont have the papers. :luv:

I'm ADDICTED to - it's great WOOOOOOOFFFFFF

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: my story
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
That is a very sad story :huh:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »
It is a sad story, but with a happy ending. Glad to hear that Blacky has come to a better home :blink:
Saw the pictures in the other thread, he's very cute!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 08:48:15 PM »
I'm really glad that you and Blacky found each other  :D  but please think twice before deciding to buy a dog to breed from. There is an awful lot more to breeding dogs properly than just buying a bitch and mating her with whatever dog you have available to you - is she proven in the show ring/working field? Will the mating contribute positively to the breed? Have you carried out all the relevant health tests on your bitch? Is there a demand for their pups? Have you done the pedigree research to find a suitable stud? Do you know about whelping a bitch and rearing puppies? What if something goes wrong? You could easily lose the bitch, the pups or both. Cazzie and I recently helped to handrear a litter of springer pups whose mother was extremely ill after giving birth and she belongs to a very experienced and reputable breeder so it can happen to anyone. People who casually breed their dogs are known as back yard breeders and no puppy buyer with any sense will buy from one, in fact, it may often be people like those who had Blacky before you who buy their dogs from these sources  :-\   and a reputably bred cocker puppy from a good breeder will cost a lot more than £300 - more like double that.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »
all the best things come from the strangest of places  :luv: :D

Offline bonnie blue

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 10:43:45 PM »
How fabulous talk about being in the right place at the right time you were a guardian angel that day may your good work continue :angel:
Owned by Molly and Poppy and never ever forgetting Maisie at the bridge x

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 10:47:24 PM »
Somebody was looking down on Blacky that day. A sad story with such a happy ending.  :D

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 12:00:42 AM »
Ah, that's great, Lucky Blackie. Why didn't she feed it? It seems very strange, she was obviously of sound mind to know it wasn't being fed  >:D

I didn't know you could still have Lemonade delivered, I bet you meet some characters!
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:33:12 AM »
well it all started when I went to a customer's house (I deliver bottles of lemonade to peoples door) I called at a customers house and this lovely dog came out and jumped onto me. I said "that is a lovely dog" she then said "do you want it " i then said "you dont just give a dog like that away they cost £300 a pup.. she then said "It's not being looked after, it only gets feed when the grand kids come down"

Aah, poor Blacky.  How lucky that you found him.  Have you any idea why she wasn't feeding him?  Was she badly disabled or something.  I can understand some people struggling with opening cans, but you would have to be very disabled not to be able to put some dry food in a dish  ::)  And it sounds as if she was able to get to the door to pick her lemonade up anyway  >:(  I hope her grand kids used to visit frequently.  Am really glad he found you,
Ann and Pringle

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:50:17 PM »
well it all started when I went to a customer's house (I deliver bottles of lemonade to peoples door) I called at a customers house and this lovely dog came out and jumped onto me. I said "that is a lovely dog" she then said "do you want it " i then said "you dont just give a dog like that away they cost £300 a pup.. she then said "It's not being looked after, it only gets feed when the grand kids come down" so I took him. since then I have spent a fortune on him and he is worth every penny. I am trying to get the papers for him but I think that it will never happen...ahh !I am now thinking of buying a pure blue roan pup and then breeding of her when she is ready but not with BLACKY if I dont have the papers. :luv:

Great news for Blacky --- I was given a 9 week old lab pup last week as owners had had her a week and they'd had enough. Sadly it happens more and more (some even dump them in the council pounds).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 07:08:33 PM »
I'm really glad that you and Blacky found each other  :D  but please think twice before deciding to buy a dog to breed from. There is an awful lot more to breeding dogs properly than just buying a bitch and mating her with whatever dog you have available to you - is she proven in the show ring/working field? Will the mating contribute positively to the breed? Have you carried out all the relevant health tests on your bitch? Is there a demand for their pups? Have you done the pedigree research to find a suitable stud? Do you know about whelping a bitch and rearing puppies? What if something goes wrong? You could easily lose the bitch, the pups or both. Cazzie and I recently helped to handrear a litter of springer pups whose mother was extremely ill after giving birth and she belongs to a very experienced and reputable breeder so it can happen to anyone. People who casually breed their dogs are known as back yard breeders and no puppy buyer with any sense will buy from one, in fact, it may often be people like those who had Blacky before you who buy their dogs from these sources  :-\   and a reputably bred cocker puppy from a good breeder will cost a lot more than £300 - more like double that.
first of all the pup is not born yet and it is from a reputable breeder with years of experience .The dam and sire are both full pedigree blue roan's and the price of £300 is a common price for that breed, its not crufts! I wont be breeding the new bitch to any tom ,dick or even harry.Dont worry I will be researching the in's and out's of everything before I would even dream of bringing a pup into this world.my father used to breed blue's before..... thanks for your advice... :D

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 07:15:40 PM »
Ah, that's great, Lucky Blackie. Why didn't she feed it? It seems very strange, she was obviously of sound mind to know it wasn't being fed  >:D

I didn't know you could still have Lemonade delivered, I bet you meet some characters!
she must have been a lazy bitch (not the dog type) but I'm not complainning I was very lucky indeed.
The lemonade (Great Northern Soft Drinks) has been around for years and years.Its good craic - meet some nutters :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 08:32:17 PM »

first of all the pup is not born yet and it is from a reputable breeder with years of experience .The dam and sire are both full pedigree blue roan's and the price of £300 is a common price for that breed, its not crufts! I wont be breeding the new bitch to any tom ,dick or even harry.Dont worry I will be researching the in's and out's of everything before I would even dream of bringing a pup into this world.my father used to breed blue's before..... thanks for your advice... :D

I don't want to get into an argument but there are a lot of reputable breeders of show cockers here on COL and I don't think that any of them would agree that £300 is a common price for a reputably bred show cocker puppy from health tested parents who are proven in the show ring as being good examples of the breed.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »
The dam and sire are both full pedigree blue roan's and the price of £300 is a common price for that breed, its not crufts!

I disagree; poor quality, non-KC registered puppy farmed cocker spaniel puppies are more than this - £300 for a pup sounds like a BYB to me  :-\

Tbh, if you are not breeding in order to improve the breed and produce pups that meet the breed and show standard, then why breed??  :huh:
There are thousands of pet dogs looking for homes every year; so the only ethical reason for deliberate, planned breeding is to maintain healthy breed diversity, and that means only breeding the best possible examples of the breed, surely?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
Perhaps the £300 is not related to the bitch he is considering  or he is getting 'mates rates' as it sounds as though he maybe knows the breeder. If that's not the case I agree, £300 is much less than I would expect to pay for a well bread Cocker.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo