Author Topic: coat king - dangerous??  (Read 1887 times)

Offline sarahm2008

coat king - dangerous??
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
I have just been discussing with a groomer Sandons coat / hand stripping and she said do NOT use a coat king as it tears the coat and can injure the dog?

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: coat king - dangerous??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
It's not recommended if you plan to show your dog, in which case hand stripping is best, but it would be quite difficult to injure a dog using it  :huh: I have one, and it's a very useful tool for removing dead hair; I think I'd have to be very rough or deliberately misuse it to damage my dogs  :dunno:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:21:12 AM »
I think you have to be careful on areas where there are folds of skin such as  underneath the neck in case the skin goes between the blades.

Millie

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »
I think you do have to be careful not to overuse it as it can make the dogs skin a little tender, but not recommended if you want the full show coat.  I use it on Ellie who isn't clipped, but who moults a lot to get the dead coat out.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
We love ours, I think it would be almost impossible to injure anything with it!...Even hubby gets let loose with it  :shades:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »
Just watched this video of a woman using a Coat King on her sable cocker in the US - looks a bit harsh to me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPV3h0LDc34

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »
Just watched this video of a woman using a Coat King on her sable cocker in the US - looks a bit harsh to me!
Yeah you don't have to use it like that! We use it the same as a brush, fab results! Best doggy item we've bought in a long time  :blink: along with our spratt comb!

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:35:29 AM »
OMG I couldnt watch all of that youtube demonstration, blimey she is harsh with it!!!!!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »
I cringed when I saw that american woman use it on you tube. I could never use it like that. Also I only use it for about a minute or two .
Like said I use like a brush, infact probably am more harsh with a brush. He never takes any notice when I use it so I know it certainly doesnt hurt.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »

OMG thats really harsh, I was wincing for the dog.  I definitely don't use it like that.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Interesting you all say the woman in the video seems harsh - I posted the exact same video and opinion in the Video section here about a month ago and was told that's pretty much how to use it! http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=99344.0

Hasten to add, I didn't heed the advice and am much more gentle with my two!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 05:32:34 PM »
I've been using one on Tobes for a year now.  I don't use it much and move it quite gently when I do and it removes loads of fluff.  If it was uncomfortable for him, he would soon let me know.  (no way would I use it like the lady in the vid).

Overall, I'm really pleased with the results but in direct sunlight you can see where the coat king appears to have cut the coat but as we don't get much sun, it's not really a problem.  :005:

It's the best way, for me, of achieving a show look without hand stripping.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline karen488

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
Would agree she's harsh but is she right about using it on wet fur?

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
Interesting you all say the woman in the video seems harsh - I posted the exact same video and opinion in the Video section here about a month ago and was told that's pretty much how to use it! http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=99344.0

Hasten to add, I didn't heed the advice and am much more gentle with my two!
Erm, if you read the response you'll see I said the groomer wasn't the gentlest. I merely said that it removes hair, requires a bit of pressure, and may pull during the process (as will comb and elastic band).

Believe it or not I've never injured my dogs in 8 years of using a coat king and they are both happy to be groomed (full show coats).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie