Author Topic: groomers -giving in I think!!  (Read 719 times)

Offline sarahm2008

groomers -giving in I think!!
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »
Sandon hasnt been to the groomers yet - well he actually went for a wash when he was about 3 months old but apart from that he has had nothing done. I was hoping to maybe do it myself, maybe even hand strip him but he really doesnt enjoy me brushing him and I have noticed a few matts appearing at his elbows which I cant get rid of. I dont really want much done to him as I love his full coat (except when it rains or is muddy!!!!!) but Im just not sure I can cope with it....
Should I give in and take him to a groomers?
Given its pretty much winter should I leave his coat?
Will they be able to do anything about the matts without getting rid of most of his leg hair?

Sorry I just dont know what to do to be honest and I would really appreciate everyone elses thoughts!!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: groomers -giving in I think!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »
If you're finding Sandon difficult to groom and he's getting matted then I think you'll need to take him to a groomer. At 6 months his puppy coat may not be ready to come out but a good groomer can tidy him up sympathetically and will also get rid of the matts for you. The problem with matts that are left is that they become worse and then become painful because they pull on the skin.

Finding a good groomer can be difficult, so if you decide to use one do some research. Maybe there will be a Cocker breeder near you who can help. Would Sandon's breeder be able to help you or make a recommendation?

Lots of groomers simply clip Cockers and leave no coat at all, because that's what lots of owners seem to want. So if you don't want that make sure you make it very clear to the groomer when you leave Sandon there.

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
thanks Elaine, the breeder we actually got Sandon from is a groomer and whilst he is a good groomer, it isnt quite to my taste and he also cant hand strip and doesnt believe in it so Im not sure he is quite right.
I have found one in Oswestry which isnt too far from me who actually train grooming so Im hoping they should be ok?
Im going to phone them tomorrow -I agree re the matts there are only a few but I dont want to leave them - I never realised I would feel like this before we got him but im so protective over him and would be devastated if someone clipped him and I didnt like it!

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »
I manage with a long coat when it's wet a Charlie has a hurtta overall to keep him dry :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »
I'm having the same dilemma Sarah - Henry is 6.5 months old and a complete fluff monster. He has all this extra hair too - walrusy tufts on the side of his face, side beard on the side of his chin - which I love!, massive quiffy bits on his head, etc... His back and legs are a woolly mess and cleaning him up every time he comes in from a decent play in the park takes forever. I just don't want someone taking everything off! I've been trimming his foot hair and started to try to strip him (some of it comes off) but he doesn't usually let me do it, unless he's asleep or OH is there with kibble. My breeder (who is a groomer too) recommended the first grooming at about 7 months. I'm just putting it off for as long as possible as I love my little woolly boots!

Let us know what you decide.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
Sarah, I know exactly what you mean. I've been trying to keep on top of Bingley for the past few months, and it can be really challenging.
If you are struggling take him to a groomer. You will be able to ask for help and advice on how to keep on top of it in between grooms, and a good groomer can really work wonders.
If you don't want him clipping make that clear, they may be able to scissor and shape him nicely without clipping.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »
I agree with Jaybee. It's worth finding a good groomer, even if it's only something you resort to occasionally. Also, it's worth getting him used to the experience. As others have said, just be absolutely firm on what you want done and make sure the groomer has experience of cockers. I rejected one groomer in town for Penny because she admitted she'd only shaved cockers before.

I started taking Penny (to a different groomer) when she was about five months just to get her used to it. She just had a bath and her feet tidied. The next time the groomer stripped out some of her puppy fluff, but I made it clear no clippers from the start. The only bits she's had clipped are the insides of her ears (because it helps the air circulation, especially when they're always wet) and her armpits, to avoid the matts caused by her harness. She loves going to the groomers now, and I always specify exactly what I want. I like to handstrip her head myself, and I use the Coat King as well to keep on top of the undercoat, but I'm not confident shaping feathers and doing feet and nails.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
thankyou so much everyone, im taking him to a very experienced groomer tomorrow she has already told me she cant take him on as she is too busy but will look at him and advise me what can be done or what i can do (she teaches groomers - i may enrol watch this space ha ha!!!! :005:)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
Hi Sarah

Not sure where you live but I am on the Shrophire / Cheshire borders near Whitchurch willing to help if you need do groom cockers my speciality plus I have my own as well all 4 of them :luv:
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack