Author Topic: Re: Please pray for Darwin  (Read 38780 times)

Offline Darwin

Re: Please pray for Darwin
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
Thank you every for your support over the past week.

I think your advice and support Sheryl, over the next couple of months is going to be invaluable.

We all had a good nights sleep last night, but I'm already exhausted, probably from the stress more than anything and have been quite emotional.

At the moment it's a learning curve for all of us.

We were given a support sling, it's already been washed several times!! so I might cup up an old towel as a spare.  I've picked up a short lead for his harness, which is making it easier. 

I'm on the look out for a new / better harness as we've currently got the Ezy dog chest plate harness.

I think once the novelty of being home Darwin is going to find his crate rest difficult

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
So pleased to hear that Darwin is home. You both have a long road ahead, but you will get there. Thanks for the update.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2016, 05:34:20 PM »
wonderful news and yes the towel replacements for slings sound like a superb idea - hope the time while he recovers goes quickly
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2016, 06:24:23 PM »
Try a scarf...it's more manoeuvrable than a towel and less bulky for between their legs x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Darwin

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »
I' ve cut up an old beach towel into 3 long strips.  Seemed much easier to use than the sling and what ever happens to it doesn't matter and it's easy to replace.

At least we've had a dry day so we're started to get use to getting Darwin in and out to the garden without getting wet.

Offline daw

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2016, 06:12:02 PM »
It does take time...it's a long slow way back but at least you're on the road! Good luck.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
Week one of crate rest over.
We're so exhausted, Darwin has been extremely good, but finds the afternoon the hardest, as that's when he expects a long walk.  It's a long day as he seems to need to go out at 5.30am, but if that means we have a clean & dry day, it's well worth the early start.

Once he's in the garden he forgets that we're with him supporting his back legs with a sling. It's like having a string puppet on steroids, he's whizzing around so fast.  This morning he was trying to chase blackbirds at 5.30am.

We had his staples removed this morning.  Our own Vet was very impressed with his progress.  When you hold Darwin so he can stand, the Vet said he was correcting his own posture which is  a really good sign.  But it most import to make sure he doesn't do to much at this stage.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »
Sounds like hard work but it must make it easier when you can can see you're making progress. Its fantastic that he's making such a good recovery - well done to you and ofcourse well done to your little hero, what a brave little lad he's been!

Offline daw

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »
'Correcting his own posture' is exactly what we were told to look for - and when the corgi did we knew the nerve messages were getting through and the operation had been a success.  :blink: It seems such a good omen.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
Keep up the good work both Darwin and mummy  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »
Only just caught up with Darwin's progress.  We are thrilled at how he is doing.  It sounds like hard work but well worth the effort.  Hope all will be well again very soon and Darwin will be back to his normal self.

Take care,
Colin & Gwyneth
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »
great news with Darwin's progress well done  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Darwin

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »
We've survived two and half weeks of crate rest, or imprisonment as I'm sure Darwin thinks it is.
He's setting stronger and on the right flooring he can just about walk on.  He's so so keen to escape his prison and finds the afternoon really tough.

We've been totally exhausted, and my back which I've had previous problems with has gone, but the long weekend has meant that OH has done his turn, which has given my back a rest.

Last week he had his first physio appointment at the RVC.  He was high as a kite, probably the excitement of being able to escape for the afternoon .  The physio was quite worried about him as he was totally uncontrollable and bouncing down the corridor. 

In another week we'll be seeing the consultant but I've managed to arrange a hydro appointment before hand, so hopefully that will use up some of Darwin's energy so that he's more controllable when he see the consultant.

We're looking forward to when we no longer need to walk him using the sling to support his back, it'll make it mush easier.  I'm trying to plan for the next stage.  Small space rest.  Puppy pen or baby pen or what?  would be lovely to have something we can move outside to give Darwin some time outside in the garden.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2016, 05:48:09 PM »
Phew!  So pleased he is doing so well - I don't envy you trying to keep a boisterous cocker quiet.  They don't know the meaning of the word.
Fingers crossed he continues to improve and gets on well at the consultants.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »
It does sound like hard work, you're obviously doing a great job! Glad to hear he's making such good progress, although I can imagine you've still got your work cut out for a bit, but it'll all be worth it in the end!