Author Topic: Boy or girl, for my old lady  (Read 1404 times)

Offline rubyduby

Boy or girl, for my old lady
« on: January 29, 2019, 04:01:41 PM »
My Cocker Topaz lost her sister last May , and tho she seems to plod on without her, I feel she might benefit from having another dog companion, she goes out waking with me with another mongrel who is my 'dog walking' ...and she seems reasonably happy to do that, she tries to get him to play and interact some times but he is obivious to her existence n the whole. On her own she is less adventurous , when ruby was alive and fit the two would explore and hunt and loved the moors. opaz doesn't show any interest now , just seems happy to roam around the llocal streets.Of course it could just be ger age she will be 9 in April. But I do wonder if she would find a young companion a stimulus, haven't decided for sure but wonder what the general thought would be on a dog or bitch. I have always had bitches, but do wonder if a young dog would be better, I had thought of a n older dog rescue etc, but feel she might feel challenged and I don't want her pushing out. She has a fabulous temperament and is very laid back, can I ask who has gone down this route and any experience /advice

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Boy or girl, for my old lady
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 06:29:32 PM »
I can't offer any advice but I am going to watch your replies with interest.
I have two litter sisters who are still very active but I hate the thought that as they are 11 now, I am going to lose one or both in the next few years.  They have always had each other and although they don't always get on together at home, they will be lost without the other one.
I had thought of rehoming an older dog, maybe one who has been used for breeding as those types of dogs do need another balanced dog to help them settle.  I do not want a young dog as I feel that my girls deserve a peaceful old age, and wouldn't want to be bothered by a younger dog wanting to play all the time.  I like having girls but I think I would prefer a male dog as that is what is suggested as being a more compatible match with a bitch.
However, I will just see how the remaining girl is in herself.  She may well thrive on being an only 'child' and parts of her personality that may have been suppressed by her sister, may immerge.  Only time will tell.
It could just be that Topaz has slowed down as she has gotten older rather than her missing her companion though and she may be content as the only one.  :luv:

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline TirelessTitch

Re: Boy or girl, for my old lady
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »
Only thing I can add is that I got Titch as a nine-week old pup when my border terrier was eight and had been a lone dog for about a year, and really was just walking with us and not playing at all.

Titch has really given him a new lease of life, they chase one another, play ball, run on the beach etc.

Of course, there were the five/six months of disruption and hell during which the border spent a lot of time trying to pretend Titch didn't exist, but as Titch matured (slightly!) the border really perked up. They are not best buddies, but the border now plays much more (and gets better, longer walks that we would have done with just him!)

I really think for most dogs, they do need a doggy companion to live a full life, and this has certainly been the case for my border.

Sorry - just re-read your post and realised you were asking more about dog vs bitch  :embarassed: - I can't help here as I have always had dogs.