Author Topic: Dog Care after Death  (Read 2404 times)

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
Dog Care after Death
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
Hi  We're thinking of writing a will and the thought of who would look after our little boy Arvy obviously came up. We don't have children, our friends love him but I don't think they would want him permanently, and our parents are frail and elderly. I thought of the RSPCA but shockingly they put a lot of the pets left in their care to sleep. (10 out of 58 a few years ago). Then I thought of cocker rescue and I wondered what prevision could be made. Has anyone else thought of this or put anything in place. I can't bare to think of my little monster lonely somewhere, he's such a cuddle chops and so use to being around us most of the time.  Some would say he's completely spoiled.

Kate
Kate

Offline lescef

Re: Dog Care after Death
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:22:48 PM »
We recently re-wrote our wills and were given a booklet to complete which included what we  would like to happen to any pets. Our children have their own dogs and I don't think they would take on anymore. I decided to say that if their breeder couldn't take them back then to contact Spaniel Aid or other rescue. That said I haven't contacted S.A. but presume that they wouldn't turn any dog away.
In the past I'm sure I've seen adverts for looking after your dog in the event of your death. I think it was Dog's Trust. I think you have to give some sort of donation in order to set it up. I hope to have a dog for as long as possible so it is something to think about. X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 06:43:53 AM »
This is something I think about very often but still haven‘t really come up with an answer, I think a cocker rescue would indeed probably be the best....
On a slightly different point though, I always carry a card in my purse, (I have another one in the car,) stating that there is a dog at home and giving contact numbers incase of us having an accident.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
A very wise post and worthy of a full reply, which I don’t really have time for this morning, apologies.

Most of the Spaniel specific rescues will take on dogs that need homes due to their owner(s) dying.  I work with Cocker and English Spaniel Rescue (CAESSR) and know we have taken in and placed many dogs in new homes under these circumstances.

The other organisation to contact is the Blue Cross and I think the Cinnamon Trust also take care of pets left behind. 

Jayne

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
None of my family would be interested in taking any of my animals tbh  :'( I have asked Coco's dogminder to take her if something should happen to me.  She and her family absolutely love Coco and I know she would be happy with them - it is her second home.  It's a big ask but I feel confident that this would be the best thing for her  :luv: :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:49 AM »
In the same position. we have asked Dylan's breeder to take him back in the event of our death. We stay in touch with her by emails and Facebook. Otherwise we would find a spaniel rescue for him to be rehomed. I wonder if we could have a list pinned of the spaniel rescue and rehoming organisations?

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 07:10:40 PM »
Don't know if this would interest anyone who maybe has no-one willing to take on their beloved dogs on their passing, maybe not the ideal solution - but worth a thought.

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/get-involved/membership/
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »
I was going to suggest Dogs trust, they have a policy of not putting a healthy dog to sleep. They run a sponsor scheme for dogs that are in their care long term.

As a member they have sent me a form for me to allow them to have my dogs in the case of our deaths. I would certainly trust them more with my dogs than the RSPCA.

On my phone contacts I have an ICE (in case of emergency) contact and I have put a note about the dogs on there, including who to contact in case the dogs are with us in the car. Apparently the emergency services will look for that first.

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
Spaniel Aid? I’ve just started forstering for them.

I worried about this when mine was alive and had put in my will to go to a special spaniel charity and would gift an amount to go to vets fees in case they coulnetvgetbinsurance if he was old or he couldn’t get cover for his previous illnesses.

They are a worry for us. I wanted to know he would be ok x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »
My current dogs are all (and most of my cats are) from Four Paws so I would happily have the returned to them anyway (particularly as mine all have their funny and not so funny quirks that I know four paws could handle without prejudice). I am going to make provision though where my house goes to my nieces with the proviso they use some of money to care for my pets so that even though they may go back to four paws money will also go with them too
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!