Author Topic: Why Did You Get A Cocker Spaniel?  (Read 5760 times)

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
Why Did You Get A Cocker Spaniel?
« on: April 16, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
I sometimes wonder why people decide to bring a Cocker into their lives? Did you know what you were letting yourself in for?? Did it matter that they were a Cocker?? Were you chosen rather than the other way round???

I have my own little story so I wondered if anyone else had motive in their madness...

When I was a kid my Mum loved Pekingese dogs. We had several. We had pups from one of our bitches. Funny little dogs with lots of personality, but not quite my thing. We had seven in total over the years. I was always around dogs.

25 years ago I was a student about to graduate from University. After my Finals, a group of us went out one afternoon to a park in Glasgow. It was a rare, sunny afternoon in Scotland. We were kicking a football around, and sitting chatting (whilst partaking of a small sherry now and again to celebrate our achievement of finishing four years at University.) It was great to spend time with friends that I had been close to for four years, but we all knew we were about to go our separate ways. Tinged with sadness. But there was something else I remember vividly. Not far from us there were a couple of kids playing with a ball and a dog...

I don't know why, but I remember them playing. They were kicking the ball. Backwards and forwards...and this four legged bundle of fun was bouncing back and forward between them. They would throw themselves on it and it would somehow wriggle free with its tail relentlessly wagging back and forward. And I'll never forget what one of the kids said as it bounced back to lick him to death..."oh Alfie!"

It was at that point 25 ish years ago that I knew...I wanted an Alfie. I was also pretty sure I didn't want kids, but I definitely wanted an Alfie! Alfie was a solid black Cocker Spaniel.

A lifetime later on the other side of the world (I now live in Oz) I found myself in a position to look for an Alfie. I saw lots of dogs. A few spaniels. Then I found my Alfie. I had had the name for almost 20 years, I just needed to find the right dog...and I did. I wasn't looking for a Cocker. The dogs we always had when I was young at home were bitches, so I had never had a male dog. We looked at many breeds. We saw his sisters first...but the second we saw him I knew...that's Alfie. I hadn't set out to find a Cocker Spaniel, but since we've had one, I can't see myself without one.

We recently had to say goodbye to Alfie. We were heartbroken. I'd love to get another Cocker. My wife isn't so sure due to his health issues. My biggest issue is that I don't have a name yet! Last time I had the name and it still took me almost twenty years to find him. How long will it take without a name??

So why did the rest of you decide on a Cocker Spaniel? If you've ''always' had Cockers, why did you get your first one? Why did you seek one out...or did your dog find you?

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Why Did You Get A Cocker Spaniel?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »
Agree about the rare sunny days here, we are just outside Glasgow  :D  a wee bit of sun brings everybody out!  When OH and I bought a house with a garden I approached the subject of a dog and he said no!  Anyway, about 6 months later he came in from work one day and said ' I have just seen the dog we are getting'.  A work colleague was looking after his mums 9 month old black cocker and OH met her and was charmed.  So, never one to miss an opportunity, the search was on.  After talking to a number of people, some I liked, some I didn't, we came across a litter that had two boys not reserved.  Had a wee chat with himself and managed to persuade him two would be awesome!  It was, but oh my, very hard work.  We named them when we collected them, none of the names we had in mind suited, and Max and Bertie changed our world in so many good ways.  We are now truly addicted to the breed and can spot one a mile away  :005:  We adopted Lara from Many Tears when she was around 4 and sadly, we lost her about 3 years later to cancer.  We were without dogs for around 18months, and were then asked to take Daisy by a rescue we support locally,  as she needed a quiet house.  I really wasn't keen as I had felt the previous loss so deeply.  However, OH insisted ( what turnaround) and within a week Daisy moved in and took over.  In all honesty, I found the first year really difficult, as she has a sensitive tummy and every time she had a wobble, I had a panic.  Now, a few years on, we have settled into to a happy routine, and she is my shadow and my lifeline.  Cockers are just the best thing since sliced bread.  Love them.  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
Well as a child I had a Cairn then 2 Westies....then along came hubby and was not keen on my then Robbie - feeling was mutual, but tolerance and love grew  ;) after we lost Robbie - we both decided to wait a while, one day we were walking and as usual a westie brought a flood of tears...hubby said a little later that the dog ahead was nice and a bit bigger than a Westie ( have a slight memory that OH had mentioned a German Shepherd which had reduced me to tears) thinking we were getting better at the size I told him it was a Cocker Spaniel and he said those immortal words - why don't we look for one of those.
On the Monday lunchtime I rang the Kennel Club asking for advice and was given the local Cocker Spaniel Club Secretary.  I was to say the least quite taken back when the number given was local :shades:.  A phone call later and a few wobbly teary moments the lady had given me the name of a breeder.  Breeder phoned and told she had two black 5 week puppies we could view.  At 7pm we were sat in her kitchen with Mum and pups.............she then mentioned she a a 4mth golden that she had kept back as a possible show dog...but didn't think his stance would be right so in bounces  Jay, he stuck to me like velco and the black puppies were right out of the picture.
Thursday teatime our bouncy boy game home and into our lives.
About 2 years back I went to the local breeders show and spoke with the chairman and mentioned the breeder, he remembered her and we had a lovely chat.
Funny thing is my old friend in the States had an American Cocker called Dudley who I adored, but never thought of one for myself.
So a Sunday afternoon walk brought a Cocker Spaniel into my life and that was it- plus as ejp says never one to miss an opportunity I rushed ahead.
Jay and now Ollie are such different characters but once a cocker always a cocker.
Hubby adored Jay and Ollie is his boy....
As for a name well for a Scot down in Oz I would say a good name would be Robbie !!

Flow gently, sweet Afton! amang thy green braes,
       Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise;
       My Mary's asleep by thy murmuring stream,
       Flow gently, sweet Afton, disturb not her dream.

And yes I have sat and watched the Afton drift bye in my time in Ayrshire with Jay by my side. 
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:48:52 AM »
Always been a doggy person and love many breeds.  As a youngster I spent a lot of time with a neighbours Rough Collie - gorgeous, very loving dog.  Later, I had 3 Bassets (overlapping ages) before I had kids.  When my old pal Muffin passed away (sob!), that was it for many years (for lots of reasons).  Fast forward and I took early retirement a few years ago.  Always said I'd have another dog when I retired.  Was going to get another Basset, but on reflection fancied a different breed.  Went with a Bloodhound initially, but they're a bit too big and sadly, very few breeders and even fewer litters.   While considering a rescue I found a photo online of a show-type Cocker in all its glory and had a eureka moment.  A little bit of reading and I was/am well and truly hooked.  Waited an age to find a blue roan boy.  At the breeder's I think we found each other (pics below at 6 weeks).  Jack is now 4.

Jack is in the centre:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:03:24 AM »
Lovely photos  :luv:

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »
Reading these posts made me really emotional for some reason!!

So as a child I grew up with a Lhaso Apso who belonged to my grandma then a Ridgeback who belonged to us as a family. After we lost the ridgeback we decided to have a break from dogs and got cats!! Mainly due to the fact my Mum was working full time and my sister and I were both at college so there wasn’t anyone to care for a puppy and cats kind of take care of themselves.

Fast forward a fair few years...I found myself moving out to Italy with my boyfriend. Having given up my job and now only studying part time I had all this time on my hands. My boyfriend had always wanted a dog but due to a family who were all allergic this was never possible. Living in an apartment we had to think sensibly about what breed we got size wise and having seen a few cockers around town decided to go and have a look at some puppies. After much searching and some difficult conversations (given our limited Italian) we stumbled across a breeder who we fell in love with (well we fell in love with her puppies). We had gone in search of getting a solid red but then fell in love with a beautiful Black and Tan girl.

Pushed to find a name to go onto her documents we chose Bella with a nod to her Italian heritage and here we are two years later!!

She is an absolute joy!! People told me we were mad getting a cocker and that they were crazy, hyperactive and neurotic...she is none of these things. Ok she has her crazy moments and she can run around with her doggy friends like a lunatic but she is otherwise a perfectly chilled out puppy. I wish however someone could have warned me about their penchant for rolling in unsavoury substances!! Is it just me that has a cocker who loves to roll in anything stinky???

She is the perfect companion for me and she loves nothing better than exploring the Italian mountains and swimming in the lakes!!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 12:48:26 PM »
How lovely hearing all these tales  :luv:
I grew up with Heinz 57's mostly collie crosses but we always had dogs. I was desperate for a dog of my own and always wanted a setter I just love their  heads and soulful eyes.  When I met my husband he had always had bearded collies and wanted one of those, but for some reason I just didn't want one of my own. So for a few years we were dog-less while we couldn't decide what to go for.  We were out one evening at a pub and there was a blue roan cocker sat on a low bar stool just watching the world go by and being fed crisps and we both said that's the perfect dog!! The next day I bought every book about cockers I could find and we started researching the breed (it was before the days of the internet!!). 
I hadn't a clue there were working and show cockers so we went to look at a litter of workers as they were just advertised as 'cockers' and  I was reluctant because I thought she was trying to do us and sell us a springer instead  ph34r  then this amazing black and tan show cocker came bouncing in and I fell in love with her, it turned out she was going to have a litter so we asked if we could have one of hers.  We had first pick of the litter and wanted a black and tan girl. 

When we went to look we were dithering for ages between two pups - there were three black and tan and a little black boy. The black boy was really annoying he kept chewing my shoes and trying to climb on my lap and I kept putting him down as he was so distracting.  We chose our pup and when we went back for the second time to see them at 6 weeks the black boy was a complete pain he wouldn't leave us alone, he was bossy and naughty and very bitey, he just kept trying to climb all over us while we were swooning over our lovely pup.  You can see where I'm going with this  :lol2: we got home and I said to my husband I think we have made a mistake that black boy should be ours he is trying to tell us!!  Fortunately the breeder was happy to let us change our minds as no one had reserved him and she had a queue of people who had wanted a black and tan, so Ben came home with us  :luv: Since then we had another black boy Harry and although we lost Ben a couple of years ago at the age of 14 I am completely smitten by cockers and can't imagine having any other breed now

Offline Mina

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
I love this thread! I grew up in Finland with dogs of the bear hunting type and in my teens we had a Gordon setter who was my best friend. Sadly she got hit by a car when she was only 4 years old. This coincided with me finishing high school and the shock of losing my dog was such that it prompted me to make a big change to my life, so I moved (also to the other side of the world!) to Sydney. Since then I always longed to have a dog but it was not feasible living in a big city on a student budget and studying and working full time. I got married in the meantime but it took us a good 15 years to finally settle down, now in Spain. As soon as we bought our first home here - which has a big garden on purpose - we started looking for the new addition to our family. We knew it had to be a cocker spaniel because some years earlier we had been regularly looking after a friend's two cocker girls over a period of about 3 years. We both totally fell in love with them. Before this we had never considered a cocker just because we did not know the breed. We had been thinking about a setter, or possibly a whippet. But Mina is absolutely perfect for us, we love her character (makes us laugh but also keeps us on our toes!) but also her size (perfect for cuddles and she loves to sit on my lap and to be carried around – thankfully she is on the small side weighing only 11kg). She also has the energy to go for long hikes or running with us and she is friendly with people and most other dogs - very important in Spain where we practically live outdoors most of the year and Mina comes with us everywhere. We are thinking to add another cocker to the family but not sure whether Mina would appreciate it. She is quite spoiled and loves all the attention she gets... Whatever it is, if we ever get another dog, it will for sure be a cocker.  :luv:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 07:16:26 PM »
I don’t know what it’s like to have another breed of dog, I’ve always had cocker spaniels in my life.

My Mum had a solid black for her 21st birthday called Dusty and who was by all accounts a bit of a handful. They came down one morning to find he had chewed every pair of shoes in the house. He was quite old when I was born so never knew him.

Growing up my Dad was always bringing  pets home that other people didn’t want. A Belgian Giant rabbit, hamsters and finally a dog. Her name was Candy and she was a black and white 18 month old cocker spaniel. My brother had pestered my parents for a dog to take around with him on his paper round. Dad had resisted, saying it would be him that would end up taking the dog out.

When I got married and had our first house I got my first cocker, again a black and white puppy bitch we called Rosie. Four years later we moved and added Cassie a liver and white. Sadly we lost both at relatively young ages of 8 and 9.

After Rosie died we put off getting a second for a couple of years until we heard of a golden cocker aged 12 weeks that needed a new home. She had originally been bought as an 8 week old, but had terrorised the cat, she was put in rescue where our neighbours, who had previously had a golden cocker took her on. Sadly she didn’t get on with their other dog and was showing aggression to their grandson, so reluctantly they were going to return her to the rescue, she was now 12 weeks  :o

We took her on I told my OH I was just going to look at her!! Having an older cocker she was soon taught the ways of the world and she lived until the ripe old age of 13. We learnt after having her a while that she was a puppy farmed dog and had resource guarding problems, especially around food, which explained her early aggression. With careful training she over came this.

Her best friend in the whole world was Holly a blue roan,who we got after Cassie died. She was 12 months younger than Poppy. They were inseparable and died within 4 months of one another.

In the meantime we had another Rosie, who had been my Mum’s dog. Rosie was only 14 months old when my Mum died and she lived with us until July last year when she died, aged nearly 15.

When Poppy died we got Ebony, a solid black, who is now 9 and in September we got Anise, a black  and tan, who is 9 months.

So you see, I’m addicted. There’s no other dog for us. Anise is my 9th cocker, over 35 years. Just love them.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
When I was very young my Nan took in a very scared Springer, she was being teased by the previous owners grandchildren, my Nan said that she was under the kitchen table and that I was to leave her alone.
Me being me, who loves animals and they love me    :doh:  poked my head under the table to take a look and got my nose bit for my efforts , completely my fault !

Within a couple of weeks we where inseparable and that is when my love of spaniels started. :luv:

Fast forward over 30 years, I was on holiday in Barcalona and a Golden Cocker was running along the beach with their owner, I instantly fell in love and that was it, I was hooked.

I work full time and it was just not possible to have a dog, my mum knew how much I wanted a Cocker, mum had retired and felt that the house needed a pet, 9 years had passed by this point and one day mum just said, you can get a dog and I will look after it while your at work.

I have to say that my response was a little subdued but this was because Cockers where part of my Retirement Plan !

Cockers are just the right size for our home and car, I like the fact that I can pick Bea up for a cuddle and I love their Temperament and happy outlook on life.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 07:38:22 PM »
Just too add........

I now have that kitchen table and as I type Bea is sleeping soundly underneath it  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
My interest was initially due to the the 'Secret Seven' books , kids story they had a Cocker Spaniel in the story, what spoilt it slightly for me was that I wasn't keen on the docked tail. We had Pyrenean mountain dogs at home s children, not terribly cuddly or friendly , so always longed for my 'own' dog, not a family dog , so when I got married I made the mistake of getting a puppy , I adored her to bits, but she was home alone a lot, and it bothered me (should never have got her) so eventually we got another pup as companion, and consequently we have since had nothing but cockers usually in twos, they are barn pots and suit me and my life style(lots of walking) I currently have a nine year old blue roan ,  Topaz ,and recently acquired Amber who is a gold sable now nearly 6 months, she is number 7

Offline makenna

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 07:21:46 PM »
Growing up, our family tended toward herding breeds - mainly Aussies. In fact, my parents have two Aussies right now.  :005: But my mom had an American Cocker when she was about the age I am now, and she was absolutely smitten with that dog. My aunt bred them; I had a cousin who had one she was obsessed with as well.

I didn't set out looking for a Cocker. I kind of happened upon him in rescue when I was looking for a dog to adopt. But I saw his picture and I knew he was mine.

I will definitely have another Cocker, but this time I'd like to go through a good breeder as my Chisum was part of a hoarding case and that caused some pretty serious anxiety/behavioral issues for him. Love him to pieces though, he's a riot.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 08:01:51 PM »
Growing up, our family tended toward herding breeds - mainly Aussies. In fact, my parents have two Aussies right now.  :005: But my mom had an American Cocker when she was about the age I am now, and she was absolutely smitten with that dog. My aunt bred them; I had a cousin who had one she was obsessed with as well.

I didn't set out looking for a Cocker. I kind of happened upon him in rescue when I was looking for a dog to adopt. But I saw his picture and I knew he was mine.

I will definitely have another Cocker, but this time I'd like to go through a good breeder as my Chisum was part of a hoarding case and that caused some pretty serious anxiety/behavioral issues for him. Love him to pieces though, he's a riot.

That made me giggle, such an apt description  :005:

Offline MooreMadness

• Donator
  • Simon and Wendy
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »
Heres My contribution,My world changed on the Tuesday Morning after August Bank holiday Monday 2014, I fell backwards four feet off My Printing machine,the damage amounting to loss of My sense of taste and smell,damage to short term memory,a difficulty in being able to process information quickly.As I had been unconscious the DVLA revoked My driving licence, so the Horizons of My world suddenly contracted,not that I was well enough at the time to drive anyway[I didnt realise at the time how ill I was, Wendy was constantly clucking around Me, Bless Her].

We had talked about getting a Dog, but Wendy wasnt keen,I wanted a Cocker, as they seemed to be the happiest Dogs, tails always Wagging and checking on their Masters.Anyhow the Christmas holidays came and went which would have been the best time to introduce a new member to the Family.A litter of Cockers were Available in nearby Grimsby, being ready in early February,I was secretly hoping one would be coming Home with Us,but gradually they all found homes.One saturday Wendy announced that all the Litter had gone, which resulted in a sharp exchange of words and a stony silence.

An hour or so later Wendy looked over the top of the laptop and said one of the Grimsby litter was available again,an Orange Roan Girl with a Brown Nose.....Overjoyed is the only thing I can say.So a phone call later an immediate viewing was arranged, with pictures emailed to us.Well when I saw Her I knew She was coming home to Us,a picture of Her in the Sink getting Bathed, and she was looking straight a the camera with a Doggy Smile on Her face.Somebody had paid a deposit on Her but didnt want Her, so that was why she had become available.

The rest as They say is History, as soon as I picked Her up she flipped on to her back and did that Doggy sigh of satisfaction. A family friend of the breeders had named Her Dixie, but Wendy had asked Me if I had a Name for Her, yes Bonnie.As we werent set for a Dog at Home We picked Her up a week later, Wendy going out of Her way to make the house a home for a Puppy.
Friday 13 February 2015 she came Home and She has changed the direction of My life,I had to give up football refereeing because of the Head injury, so she filled a gap in My Life,I call Her My rescue Dog because She rescued Me.The Broken Man and the Unwanted Dog are now inseperable Friends and Companions.

The first meeting with Son Jon.