Author Topic: Friendship with another dog..all positive?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Katieee1985

Friendship with another dog..all positive?
« on: May 02, 2019, 05:31:55 AM »
Hi,
My Mia seems to have a good friend in another dog that we meet during walkies  every day. I myself also became very friendly with the owner, and we started meeting up for coffees with dogs outside walkies area too. This is the first time I see my dog being so lovely, playful and relaxed with another dog. They play, they kiss, they cuddle and I can just spend hours looking at their interactions. We seem to meet everyday now, sometimes I take the other dog for a walk in the woods with my family, and sometimes I leave my Mia for a day in the friends house to enjoy games in the garden. All good and the dogs are so happy. But.. I’m a little worried of the routine that we have now built.. is it good for my dog to see her friend every day? You know.. life changes sometimes and I’d hate to break my dog’s heart by moving to another town or something and not let her see her friend every day.. silly question I know.. but anyone has been in a similar situation and could offer some advice? To relax and let the dogs be as they are or to limit the meetings for their own good? Thank you

Offline Barry H

Re: Friendship with another dog..all positive?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:58:54 AM »
I think your concern is understandable to a degree, but a bit misplaced.  You're crossing bridges before you get to them (as you know).  Personally, I wouldn't give it another thought 'cos it serves no purpose other than making you anxious.  Just both of you enjoy the friendship while it lasts.  Life's too unpredictable and too short for all this worrying malarkey!

When I got Jack as a pupster, I regularly met at least ten other dog walkers (not all at the same time!) who were great to be with and we both had a lot of fun which we both otherwise wouldn't have had.  I thought, this is great!  A couple of years later, all of them had dwindled away for one reason or another.  Life goes on.  Jack and I still love our walks and have as much fun as poss, which is what it's all about.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »
I'm with Barry on this!!

I too kept bumping into a girl with a cocker while walking Bella and a year and a half later and we still do dog walks at least 4 times a week together including weekends away with our partners and dogs.  We have become great friends, they look after Bella and we look after Peppo when they need help.

We also see the same set of dogs and owners most days and Bella plays with them all.  I wouldn't even give it a second thought and just enjoy the friendship and the fact your doggo has a good friend! :-)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
When Ben was a puppy we were in a similar situation.  Ben really did not like other dogs much at all, but for some unknown reason there was a young white whippet type girl he adored and they would run and run and play - if fact she was the only dog he ever played with in his entire life. We saw them every morning for about 10 months then they moved way.  To be honest he looked for her for about a week but then stopped so I guess dogs just adapt to whatever gets put before them, they can't over think like we do.

About a year after we last saw them I was on the field on morning and Ben just froze and stared into the distance and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then this little white dog appeared on the field they had come back for a visit.  It was so lovely I think I even shed a small tear!! Ben just flew across the field and they met in the middle and literally jumped all over each other, played and ran for ages.  I was amazed that they remembered each other and clearly so fondly.  :luv:  We never saw them again, and Ben never played with another dog.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 05:40:13 PM »
Agree with Barry too! We all have to cope with what life throws at us and dogs are actually far more adaptable than us. Enjoy the companionship of your new friends and don‘t let the worry of what might never happen spoil it!!  :luv: