Author Topic: Vets are expensive!  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Vets are expensive!
« on: May 29, 2019, 07:01:16 PM »
Now don’t get me wrong, I would always spend any amount of money on my boy, he will always have the best of everything.

But, we took him to the vet a few days ago as he had a little lump on his lower eyelid.

He had an infection, can’t remember what she called it. Anyway he was prescribed antiobiotics, anti inflammatory cream and a painkiller - £148. A good examination and lots of meds so I thought that was ok.

She asked to see him again today to check progress - he was in there no more than three minutes, all good and healing well - another £21!! I have to say I was quite shocked, I thought such a short follow up could have been included in the original charge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Vets are expensive!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
For a quick follow up review I would have thought it would be included in the original appointment, shows how much I know!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 10:34:23 PM »
This happened to my daughter. She assumed her first £90 was inclusive , as with her previous vets. The staple needed replacing, they asked for £31 . She two babies in tow,  plus granny me. She told the receptionist she couldn’t afford it, nor had expected extra fees. The vet came out, was very pleasant and let her off. We asked if there were further fees for the staple removal , and the poor nurse said it would be another £21. She checked with the vet, who said it would now be nothing.  Credit to him,  in a a surgery that has been ‘modernised’ by new owners
They must be absolutely clear about their pricing structures, before you walk blindly in.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »
I feel that it is certainly a problem, as some of you know we had a very terrifying time a few months back, the young vet said Ollie swelling could be sinister even went as far as suggesting chemo would not be advised at his age, we paid her £90 and we were taken back at the price - the result were inconclusive.

Cutting this short we were sent then to main vet, she said it was a hernia - yes he would need surgery to push the hernia back in place and repair the inner wall and also castration to curb testerone  as this was most seen in entire males, she would do the surgery, he was healthy and saw no problems. She really made it seem routine and we were so relieved.
There was no charge that day, his operation was £278 she took the opportunity to clean and remove several teeth.  We came away with 2 lots of meds and a mouthwash, and post op booklet that gave details all they had done and telling us they were at the end of the phone24/7.  Follow up 4 days later and 4 days after that nurse removed stitches - no charge.

She pretty much restored my faith that there are good vets out there, and give care at a decent price.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:32:52 PM »
That was excellent care that Ollie received, I am so glad it all turned out the way it did, and having confidence in your vet is key.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:25:26 PM »
I do wonder if maybe these vets who just do small animals see the £ sign as many folks have insurance, I do understand the over heads etc, but some prices and prescriptions seem over the top.  This vet I have does both hence the cow being walked in last time I went  :D

Or could it be we expect so much more from them when we see them on TV shows now days.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 06:56:17 AM »
I do wonder if maybe these vets who just do small animals see the £ sign as many folks have insurance, I do understand the over heads etc, but some prices and prescriptions seem over the top.  This vet I have does both hence the cow being walked in last time I went  :D

Or could it be we expect so much more from them when we see them on TV shows now days.

I think that‘s a good point Julie. Ours is a country practice, surgery was intigrated into the house, and the prices were always very reasonable but he‘s now expanded, moved to a larger property, has a lot more equipment for scans etc, employed more staff and it all has to be paid for.
We visited a large clinic last week, for a second opinion, and the first item on the questionnaire was did we have insurance, - we have one to cover operations but I answered with No, as I didn‘t want it to affect their decision.!
(We‘ve nevertheless decided Humph‘ will have to  lose his manhood doghood next week  :'(, I feel like a traitor !)

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
Where We are the two main vet surgeries are all part of the same group so really control the pricing.Follow up visits used to be included in the initial price but not any more.Can pretty well guarantee that any visit will come just under the insurance excess.The rise of insurance take up is partly to blame, its almost like a blank cheque to the vets.And its all a minefield.A friends dog kept limping, would be fine then would have a week or so of limping...vet suggested a scan etc as it came to nearly £1000 they claimed on their insurance, nothing wrong found which is kind of what they thought just a case of over enthusiastic Springer, but now they have claimed for a scan on His knee joint it is an existing condition so if He does anything to that knee it wont be covered by the insurance....they wish they had gone with their gut instinct and waited to see if He stopped limping...

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
if you think that is bad wait till you have to go to a nightime emergency vet, my girl was taken in overnight for two nights on fluids and pain relief, we had a bill nearly£900, in short they are rip off merchants and their lack of knowledge is breathtaking and certainly does not reflect in the prices....daytime isn't much better I had a guinea pig that needed a cesarean and was quoted £350, yet to spay a bitch was 'apparenty'£170.