Author Topic: loss of cocker  (Read 3433 times)

Offline rubyduby

Re: loss of cocker
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
so sorry for your loss, but I have to say the minute I started reading your information I thought 'Pancreatitis' and I am wondering if the amount of Metacam may have exacerbated the condition it can cause pancreatitis and isn't good for the Liver ….sadly we put a awful lot of trust in vets and sadly they often let us down as I have discovered over a lifetime of dog ownership (cockers) having said that and this is not said to upset you, it is probable the liver condition was a problem, you can only do what you think is best for your dog and no-one should feel bad about that, god knows I have been thro it often enough....your love is always mirrored by the pain you feel when they are gone, but your lovely pooch has just gone back to being unborn, no sad and lonely journey without you.....is totally unaware and is out of pain, a responsibility we take on and have to be up too...

Offline Charlottemfoster

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 02:26:28 PM »
Yes I also have thought the metacam could have played a part in the pancreatitis/liver problem!  But all them weeks ago when he was first unwell, before the metacam it was probably his liver, who knows! We lost Drizzle another blue roan cocker 12 years ago, he was 12 and he’d been having issues with his teeth and gums, turned out his kidneys were failing, he was another sad loss. Just got to think they both had a great life, spoilt rotten and treated as part of the family, they’re just very much missed. The house is so quiet, really never been without a dog for long, so hopefully we’ll be welcoming a new pup (cocker) in the future.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 06:30:41 PM »
Yes I feel your loss, I lost my lovely orange  roan girl a year ago from kidney failure and Pancreatitis, we struggled for 2 yrs to keep her going ut she died just after her 8th birthday, this is why I say beware of what vets tell you, I actually went thro 8 different vets in that two years because they just didn't have a clue, I spent the time researching the conditions and telling them what was needed etc, yet still forking out for their 'knowledge'....I had the same problem with her sister who is still with me at 9, with Hypothyroidism and Pancreatitis. Even having Topaz I was amazed at how much I missed lovey little dainty loving Ruby, and just a couple of months ago I got my new girl , gold sable Amber, mainly because I knew that Topaz was missing her sister, and she has been brilliant with the new pup, and has perked up considerably.....