Author Topic: Stealing from the Fridge - Help  (Read 1045 times)

Offline lizmil

• Site Member
Stealing from the Fridge - Help
« on: March 19, 2004, 01:41:18 PM »
My little Nemo (the crafty little devil), opened the freezer door and stole quite a large portion of frozen food (sirloin steaks / pork chops / chicken).

Needless to say when I got up in the morning, he wasn't very well, so I arranged an appointment with the vet that afternoon.  In between times, he raided the freezer again and finished off all the butcher meat.

Anyway, turns out he's fine, but I am looking for help on how to stop him doing this.  I have locked him out of the kitchen for now, but if the door is left open by mistake I know he's going to do it again - he already tried one morning.

I have tried a child lock, but he can actually open that.

I was thinking of something magnetic that would be strong enough to stop him opening it.  There isn't enough room between the washing machine and the freezer to put something bulky.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks alot,

Liz, Nemo and Murphy (both rescue cockers).                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 02:01:45 PM »
:shock:  :shock: Oh my goodess me!! The little tea leaf!!

The only thing I can suggest is try not let him where the freezer is unsupervised :?  easier said then done I know, have you thought about crating them overnight?

Maybe one of the others can give you a better idea :?                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 02:07:35 PM »
Have you thought of also using a stairgate as I've found these easier to remember to keep shut.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 03:24:50 PM »
Mothercare sell a fridge/freezer lock which is easy to fit and only costs £3.99 might be worth a go. In my experience once a cocker has learnt to do something they don't usually forget. Especially when foods involved :wink:
Tracey.                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:33:49 PM »
We had a GSD that used to do this and they don't forget :? She even broke into the fridge one christmas eve and stole the turkey and 2 packets of butter :shock:  :shock: My dad ended up with a sort of metal clasp that was superglued one on the side of the fridge and the other on the door  :twisted: she then moved her attention on to the cupboard where the veggies where kept :roll: Our kitchen used to look like something out of mission impossible, with gates and locks on everything :roll:  :roll:

Michelle                    

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 07:53:54 PM »
Well, I bet he was pleased with himself, but you weren't! Maybe try and look out for him more when he's near the freezer.                    
From Georgie and Bailey xxx