Author Topic: how do i know that........................?  (Read 978 times)

Offline gingermart

• Site Member
how do i know that........................?
« on: March 21, 2004, 09:02:54 PM »
Hello,
      Been looking on the net and magazines for advice on buying a puppy from abreeder but how do i know that the paper work they are showing me is right(i have never seen any) :? kc reg,parent eye test,hip test  etc
    can you also tell me if puppies are available at say 8 weeks old ,would you expect them to have had their injections .
       I am sorry if i sound a bit negative about buying a puppy but i want things to be right,i have a wife and 3 children relying on me :lol:
                thanks                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 09:29:42 PM »
hello well hopefuly you will pick a reputable breeder :) that will be a good first foot. Most breeders will let you have the pup at 8 weeks or older and the pup should get his jabs about 14 weeks i think .
is 16 weeks right ? i cant quite rember . the breeder will tell you anyway :)
The important part is you get a good breeder she/he will help you :)goodluck                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 09:36:44 PM »
I got Morgan at 8 weeks and he had his jabs at 10 weeks and 12 weeks.  Cooper was already 11 weeks old when we got him so he'll be closer to 14 weeks before he has his final jab.  This has been the practise for many years I think, but if you looks at the thread below there is new research which shows that it may be better to wait till the pup is older and leave more time in between jabs.  Have a read and see what you think.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=4195                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 10:50:36 PM »
Vets vary as to when they will vaccinate puppies but I would not expect an 8 week old puppy to be vaccinated - we do not have our pups vaccinated before 9-10 weeks as before then there is a good chance they will have some immunity from their Mum and vaccinations given too early will not be effective.

As to what the paper work looks like, the Kennel Club registration certificates are now blue - make sure it says Kennel Club on them not some other registration club like the Dog Lovers Registration Club. If the registration hasn't come through at the time a puppy is ready to leave home, make sure you get something in writing to say that the pup will be KC reg & the papers will be sent on to you. Eye test certificates are white & will have the words "British Veterinary Assoc/Kennel Club/International Sheep Dog Society" followed by "Certificate of Eye Examination" at the top of the page. Whether a puppy's parents have been eye-tested and/or hip-scored will also be noted on the KC reg certificate.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline gingermart

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 08:01:32 PM »
hello,
     thanks for all your comments and suggestions,i have made some notes :lol: .If we do get a cocker we will be sure to let you all know and perhaps a picture :)
                   thanks