Author Topic: Neutered boy dogs - still "frisky"??  (Read 2160 times)

Offline JessLC1

• Site Member
Neutered boy dogs - still "frisky"??
« on: March 25, 2004, 04:48:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

Recently, our 12 year old Sheltie passed away and we are now looking to get another dog.  I have become attached to a friend's English cocker that I've taken care of for a few weeks a year for the past couple years while the family is on vacation.  It's a boy, neutered, about 4 years old.  Our sheltie was a very dignified lady who was very well-behaved, and this little boy is a different story, but I still adore him.  However, I've never had a boy dog, and was quite shocked to notice that even though he's neutered he gets "frisky" sometimes when he's playing and will become a bit too friendly with your arm or leg.  Does this happen with all male cockers?  I've been reading the other discussions on girls vs. boys and it appears that there are pros and cons to both sexes - this is the only thing that would really turn me off from a boy dog.  

Thanks for the input.

Jessica                    

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 08:34:43 AM »
I have a male Cocker, who is used at stud, but he's never behaved this way before or since he was used.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 09:39:35 AM »
It is not that unusual for neutered dogs to still indulge in mounting behaviour sometimes (often depending on when they were neutered). I know of at least one neutered dog who still managed to mate & tie with a bitch, although of course no puppies resulted from the union :wink: Bitches can also indulge in this sort of "frisky" behaviour, particularly when young & playful. We had one spayed bitch who occasionally used to be very "affectionate" with my arm - she was a sweet, gentle girl not at all dominant or naughty.

If you are used to living with a Sheltie, you will find a Cocker very different - Shelties are a dignified breed, Cockers are not :lol:                    
Jane

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 10:27:53 AM »
Hi Jessica

I have three entire Boys in my house and I don't have any problems with mouting arms, legs or each other (well not when I'm there anyway :wink: :roll: ) one has also been used at Stud and is still very loving.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 12:49:32 PM »
If you are used to living with a Sheltie, you will find a Cocker very different - Shelties are a dignified breed, Cockers are not :lol:

I think cockers are hooligans in cute clothing :lol:

Wilf (now neutered) will take every opportunity to hump my arm if I'm down on the floor cleaning up his mess and Ruby is always trying to hump my trousers as I try to put them on.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JessLC1

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 07:42:15 PM »
Thanks for the input.  It almost sounds like those of you with boys who haven't been neutered have less of an issue with this!  But although girls have been known to engage in the behavior as well, it sounds like it's safe to say they are less likely to do so...?  Perhaps it just differs from dog to dog.  

Yes, life with a Sheltie is quite different, I'm sure....I loved our Sheltie dearly but don't want to try to "replace" her.  Although the cockers are sometimes naughty and certainly  less dignified than Shelties, they are so lovable and never cease to entertain.....We are still trying to make a decision but I would love one of the little guys!

Jessica