Author Topic: Poor Ruby attacked by 2 dalmations  (Read 3099 times)

Offline PennyB

Poor Ruby attacked by 2 dalmations
« on: March 27, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »
Have just been out on one of my long walks—basically 4 hours along the Taff Trail. Its more my workout for the week but Wilf and Ruby love it as its a lot of woodland paths and scrub. Half an hour into the walk we stopped to admire the view and say hello to a lady and her 2 dallies (male and female similar age) who were quite bouncy. Everything seemed OK. Ruby was playing with large stones as she does and the dallies came over to her and she growled as if to say 'they're mine'. Next minute both dogs had laid into her. I couldn't see her as she was underneath a snarling mass and I've seen handbag fights and this wasn't one of them. They were making a racket while poor Ruby screamed her head off in fear. The awful thing was she was just lying underneath them and not fighting back just making an awful noise, but then against two of them I guess she didn't think she could. Thankfully the lady pulled her two dogs off who then turned on Wilf who was barking at them anyway (mainly because he could see big sis was getting hurt), then he was screaming his head but they didn't get a chance to lay into him as I pulled him away. The lady apologised and I went off with a rather shaken cocker (and owner) who was thankfully not hurt.

It has affected her though as on the rest of our walk if another dog came near she was quite scared of them which isn't like her and she kept barking at them but kept on nudging my leg as if she wanted my help. I'm not one of those owners who pulls my dog back at the slightest thing as I like the dogs to be able to sort themselves out, but this was scary. Its also sad as its a year since she was attacked by the 2 staffies and I'd hate it if this affected her in the long run.

I made sure we made a detour to our park where she normally goes so she could interact with some of the dogs she knows to try and get her confidence back.

Will have to tell my dog trainer what happened as I'm worried she might act up in class this week.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 08:52:49 PM »
How awful for you Penny, and poor Ruby. I hope it doesn't affect her long term, but having it happen again can't have helped her confidence much. I'm sure she's getting plenty of TLC  :)
and well done to Wilf for trying to protect his sister  :D                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 08:56:31 PM »
ohhh :( poor ruby i hope shes feeling ok . why do some owners not take proper care of there dogs..training , im sure ruby will get over her run in with these dogs , i wonder if the next dog will :(                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 09:12:50 AM »
Oh, poor Ruby, that must have been frightening for her.

Indie's been wary of bull dogs since one went for him, but he's still ok with others, I hope she gets over it, and what a guy Wilf is, protecting her, bless him.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 09:34:38 AM »
awww poor Ruby, lets hope this doesnt affect her too much. Well done to Wilf for protecting his sister.    Give them  a big ((( hug ))) from me.

My previous lab was attacked when she was six months old.  She ran screaming into the woods,with a very large dog  biting her back,  :shock:    it took us quite a while to find her, she was never the same after that. :cry:
I made the mistake of avoiding the area,   :roll:   and  when a another dog was approaching i would make a fuss of her, and  tell her it was alright.  :oops:
Which  i now  know, added to hear fear.   :oops:
That was 15 years ago.
I would certainly handle it differently today!!                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 10:12:24 AM »
That's a shame Penny, poor Ruby :(  Hope it hasn't knocked her confidence too much :?   Lottie was attacked by 2 large black dogs last year and it did take a while for her to regain her confidence. :(                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 10:32:02 AM »
Awww sorry to hear this Penny :(   Hope Ruby is ok!                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 11:23:53 AM »
Hi Penny,

I hope you've all recovered from this horrific incident!
It just show that although dogs may act friendly at first things can get nasty quite quickly :( I'm always wary of other peoples dogs, especially if they're on a lead, I tend to try and interact with Millie to regain her attention away from them, because she's so friendly she just bounds up to anyone / anything and starts playing :roll: and I just know it will get her into serious trouble one day  :?

As for Ruby - my mum's cocker loves playing with big stones, she growls to protect them to .. but its part of the game, she's kinda saying 'come on then, chase me, see if you can get my stone" :lol: funny old girl she is.

I'm sure with all the TLC and with the way you handled it (taking her to play with dogs she knew afterwards) that she'll be fine, it may take a litle while, but she pull through, and so will you!

:)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 11:32:52 AM »
Oh Penny, you poor souls.  It is so frightening when this happens.  I just hope that Ruby isn't too badly affected in the long term.  You're lucky she didn't have any injuries what with two dog setting upon her.  Luckily when Morgan was attacked by the GSD he shrugged it off quite easily.  It does leave you shaken, though.  

Morgan has never been anything but friendly towards every other dog he's met and it must be difficult having a dog that attcks other dogs, but these people should take action and do something about it - most probably never do!!                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 11:55:56 AM »
We're off to the pet blessing service (multi-denominational) at the local church this afternoon so it should be could for Ruby having all those dogs around.

I think when you get two dogs like this they work in a pack especially when they turned on Wilf who I had on a long line at the time and managed to pull away.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 12:30:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about poor Ruby  :(  hope your trip today helps to restore her confidence  :)                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 05:11:52 PM »
Poor Ruby  :(
I sympathise, a couple of weeks ago Toby was attacked by both another cocker and then two Cairn Terriers, on the same walk! He was very bewildered but luckily it seems he wasn't affected by it in the long-run, he still loves playing with other dogs while we're out, I'm just very careful now to put him on the lead when we see other dogs until we've asked the owner if their dogs are friendly or not. It's easier said than done though.
Hugs to Ruby.                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 08:26:01 PM »
Aw, poor Ruby. And how brave of Wilf to try and defend her by barking them away. Hopefully she will get over this soon - poor mite probably wondered what she had done to warrant being set upon. Must have been awful for you to see too. Hopefully that lady has learnt to keep her dogs under better control in future.                    

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 10:08:41 PM »
Oh Penny, sorry to hear about poor Ruby, I hope it hasn't shaken her up too much. Wilf did well though trying to protect his sis.                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 10:23:21 PM »
Awwww poor Ruby :(

It's very upsetting when this happens, but i'm sure with time and Wilf by her side :wink:  Ruby will be just fine.                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx