Author Topic: Probably a silly dog tag question  (Read 1554 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Probably a silly dog tag question
« on: March 28, 2004, 01:41:03 PM »
Indie wears a harness, a chest one when we walk him, it's really helped with him pulling. The thing is, there's a bit on the bach of the harness to clip the lead on, but nowhere to hang his tag that says he's chipped, or phone number tag. I don't think he could wear a collar with it as well, what does anyone else do?

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 02:16:43 PM »
Collar with the harness - the collar doesn;t impede the harness :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 04:35:19 PM »
I'm going to stick my neck out here & say that I once read in a Cocker Spaniel book that no self-respecting Cocker should ever wear a harness for lead walking.  I can't remember whether it was in "The Merry Cocker" or some other book & it may be out of date information (things do change with time) but the reasons given were something to do with the depth of the ribcage & the risk that the way the dog walks when wearing a harness could overdevelop the shoulders & make the dog look more like a Staffy in build rather than having the characteristic "sloping" shoulders of a Cocker.

I'm prepared to be wrong on this, so please, don't anyone get angry or on their high horse over it  :lol:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 12:42:53 AM »
i use a loopy harness and a colla at the same time :) loopy is alot easyier to put on plus it stops from pulling better :)i use a harness as bella wouldent stop pulling , even with many attemps she used to choke herself and dident seem to enjoy walking. walking a dog should be a good thing so somtimes you have to do what makes the dog happy . now we both enjoy our walks :) i dont think it makes any difference using a harness or colla bella dosent pull at all anymore , so im not too sure how it could change her body shape , surely it would be the same movement as a dog not pulling on a colla ?? :?:  mabe someone else will tell us about this bodyshape changing thing? im not sure   :?                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 01:59:16 PM »
Interesting, Cindere - I've never heard of this. I've googled and can't seem to find anything, I'm going to ask the guy in the pet shop next time I'm in, he might have heard of it

thanks,

Shona                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 02:27:30 PM »
I had a look in the "Merry Cocker" book but could only see harnesses described as "unsightly and should not be seen on a self respecting Cocker"  :shock: .... maybe it was in another book.

As Luvlylady say, if the dog doesn't pull on a harness it isn't going to get large shoulder muscles. I used one on Jimmy for a while but he still pulled, all it did was make it more comfortable to do so, so I went back to using the flat collar. Jimmy is quite strong around the shoulders but doesn't look like a Staffie really as a result. :lol:

If the harness seems to stop the pulling I'd stick with it, Shona. :D But if he learns to pull on it, maybe go back to the collar and lead.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 02:30:03 PM »
Thanks Colin, there's been a huge improvement with the harness, he still pulls a bit, but he was pulling much more with the collar, and choking himself. I was starting to dread walking him, as he'd make awful hacking noises

Shona                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 04:25:55 PM »
I use a harness on mine occasionally but its more to do with where we walk sometimes and I'd rather be able to drag them out of something if they got stuck using a harness than using their collar which could easily slip off! Fortunately the harness I use has a large 'D' ring on it to attach any tags if I needed to.

I think a harness can just spoil the look of a cocker rather than affect them in any other way.

I'd make him wear a collar if you can so you can fit the tag.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Uken

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 06:08:43 PM »
Hello, our 14 week old English Cocker has a registration Tatoo in his ear which is registered with his Dog ID Card  and pedigree papers. If he did wander off, the finder, if honest enough can tell the police, through the wonders of computers the ID of the dog and owner is known and we would be informed.  Hence for us, no need for the extra tag.

Robert                    
Robert Lawrence

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 06:43:07 PM »
Hello, our 14 week old English Cocker has a registration Tatoo in his ear which is registered with his Dog ID Card  and pedigree papers. If he did wander off, the finder, if honest enough can tell the police, through the wonders of computers the ID of the dog and owner is known and we would be informed.  Hence for us, no need for the extra tag.

Robert

Robert -- please don't be  caught out - a tattoo is fine but not all you should have. You are required by law to have a tag on your dog when our in a public place. The tag has to show your phone number and address, although many opt for phone no and postcode and house no rathe than the full add - also some suggest not having the dogs name on.

Also a tattoo on a cocker once their hair is grown can be hard to see and they're not always looked for. Could be worth thinking of getting a microchip too. Belt and braces approach :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 07:24:16 PM »
Yes my council says its OK for me just to have my tel. nos on the dog tags (the other side says 'I am microchipped and neutered'). Its also easiest for your dog to be returned if a member of the public finds them as well. Also remember that sadly not all pounds are scanning the dogs properly, which is a sorry state of affairs.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 07:27:35 AM »
As shona joy says, I've also never heard of this!                    
From Georgie and Bailey xxx