Author Topic: Show or Working/Show cocker spaniel??  (Read 32714 times)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Re: Show or Working/Show cocker spaniel??
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
The breeder owns both parents and has been breeding show/working cockers to get brains & beauty apparently.
We have never had a cocker before so are looking for as much advice as we can get.

I got a show/worker mix and got no brains and no beauty.  :005:.  Herbie is beautiful to me but he's just a bit strange to look at now he's older with his candy floss fur :005:

Herbie is also very lazy.  I have a working cocker too, who is fantastic, lively, clever, beautiful, loyal and a real softy.

Welcome to COL.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
It is difficult to be patient with you but do take a look at the good breeder guidelines from this site.  COL isn't elitist, just responsible and the free advice you have asked for (and been given) from such experienced people is not to be taken for granted.  [/quote

It wasn't the OP who felt some of the replies were elitist....  ;)

I do agree with most of what has been said - there are a good number of responsible breeders in the Cocker world who have been working hard to breed out genetic illnesses etc. while most Backyard breeders wouldn't even know if their dog carried the gene for these illnesses.

Honey is a mix - and she is ideal for us, and I wouldn't change her for the world.   :luv:  But I now know enough to know we were very lucky - we didn't know about working cockers, and the breeder did not mention the mix in her breeding at all - without this site, we may well have struggled immensely!

In an ideal world, if we were to get another dog, I would love another worker/show mix - however I would be far more clued up on wanting to know why the mix was being made, that all the health tests were done etc.  And I think it is unlikely I would find the answers I wanted!  There are always going to be people who breed for the pet market - I know this feels wrong when there are so many unwanted dogs in rescue, but I really don't think this is going to change - this isn't so bad if they take their breeding responsibly (tested parents, life-long support to purchasers) - however most people breeding "pets" don't do these tests, which risks continuing the genetic illnesses into future generations. 

I know a lot of people feel very strongly that no pet breeding should be allowed (and I'm sure if I was more involved in rescues, I would have similar views) - but at the very least anyone who is pet breeding (whether this is creating a worker/show mix, a cockerpoo or a Heinz 57 mongrel) should be as thorough in checking everything as the breeders who breed for conformity to breed standard (along with temperament, health etc).  :shades:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 11:27:30 AM »
One of my old cocker spaniels that I bought from a well known Breeder of cockers sold him to me as a pet dog. They also sold me my last bitch also as a pet dog. They show themselves and sell show dogs also and are incredably nice and helpful. When I bred this bitch. I did it with the help of this Breeder and a well known breeder and judge who was the owner of the male. They both knew these dogs were to be bred as pet dogs. It is coincidence that one of the pups has turned out really well and we have decided to give showing a go and are doing OK. I know all about Rescue as I worked in it for years, but I think as long as the dogs are healthy with good temperament and thought hard about, as in homes etc then a lot of pet families would miss out on owning such a beautiful dog if we only bred the finest lines.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 11:34:51 AM »
I know a lot of people feel very strongly that no pet breeding should be allowed (and I'm sure if I was more involved in rescues, I would have similar views) - but at the very least anyone who is pet breeding (whether this is creating a worker/show mix, a cockerpoo or a Heinz 57 mongrel) should be as thorough in checking everything as the breeders who breed for conformity to breed standard (along with temperament, health etc).  :shades:

yes but how can you distinguish between the only one litter and the backyard breeders of who will often say they are just 'home breeding' + see how many puppy farms or large commercial kennels are jumping on this bandwagon as well convincing the public that its OK to breed crossbreeds etc for whatever reason! its very easy to be lulled into this thinking yet it just perpetuates the problem.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LisaB

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
One of my old cocker spaniels that I bought from a well known Breeder of cockers sold him to me as a pet dog. They also sold me my last bitch also as a pet dog. They show themselves and sell show dogs also and are incredably nice and helpful. When I bred this bitch. I did it with the help of this Breeder and a well known breeder and judge who was the owner of the male. They both knew these dogs were to be bred as pet dogs. It is coincidence that one of the pups has turned out really well and we have decided to give showing a go and are doing OK.

Well done. You were properly mentored, and you took all the advice you could with an open mind, that's how all novices should start out, it's probably no coincidence your pups turned out very well (I breed pedigree cats and have 2 mentors from the associated breed club, with 70 years experience between them.  The result is that over time and now more recently, my cats are known by all on the show and breeding circuit - it took me 12 years to achieve that quality by very careful study of lineage, I couldn't have done it without being mentored or on a one off mating). Trouble is, many don't bother to get themselves a mentor, and so the match doesn't get thought through and planned properly and asll sorts of problems can creep in over time - that's the crux of it.

I don't know what you mean when you say "finest lines".  But breeding only from a small gene pool would eventually cause problems anyway.

Offline turbobert

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »
We have had both over the years.  We have recently acquired a working strain puppy BUT and it is a big BUT - we live in the country and the pup has considerable access to 'outside' and freedom.  Those with working lines are for the most part much harder work certainly when they are young when they are often hyperactive.  Generally they are not suited to a small town house or to lengthy periods left unaccompanied and without entertainment.

If you have the time and willingness to exercise then the working strain is fabulous. ..active jolly and very good natured.  The show strains are more of a 'pet' dog.  They also need plenty of exercise but generally they are less robust - and you do have to watch for the odd dodgey temperament.  They are bred for their looks not their nature!  Just my experience - no doubt others have their views...

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 02:43:24 PM »
We have had both over the years.  We have recently acquired a working strain puppy BUT and it is a big BUT - we live in the country and the pup has considerable access to 'outside' and freedom.  Those with working lines are for the most part much harder work certainly when they are young when they are often hyperactive.  Generally they are not suited to a small town house or to lengthy periods left unaccompanied and without entertainment.

If you have the time and willingness to exercise then the working strain is fabulous. ..active jolly and very good natured.  The show strains are more of a 'pet' dog.  They also need plenty of exercise but generally they are less robust - and you do have to watch for the odd dodgey temperament.  They are bred for their looks not their nature!  Just my experience - no doubt others have their views...

I really disagree with the statement re: not bred for 'nature'  ;) The breed standard states this 'Gentle and affectionate, yet full of life and exuberance.' If you read all the threads re: choosing a breeder you will find temperament is high on the agenda of most good show breeders.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »

I really disagree with the statement re: not bred for 'nature'  ;) The breed standard states this 'Gentle and affectionate, yet full of life and exuberance.' If you read all the threads re: choosing a breeder you will find temperament is high on the agenda of most good show breeders.

mmmmm also have to disagree with this as well ...especially  *and you do have to watch for the odd dodgey temperament * that could be true of any breed  :huh:  wouldnt say they are less robust either  :-\

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »
The show strains are more of a 'pet' dog.  They also need plenty of exercise but generally they are less robust - and you do have to watch for the odd dodgey temperament.  They are bred for their looks not their nature!  Just my experience - no doubt others have their views...

What a shame that your personal experience of show strain cockers has been less positive than my own :(   

All responsibly and ethically bred dogs of any breed or cross-breed will have been bred for "their nature" and temperament; and the cocker spaniel breed is by nature robust  :D Many show strain dogs successfully compete in agility, take part in cani-x or similar activities; a fit and trained show strain dog will be far more robust than a "pet" working cocker, imo  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
All responsibly and ethically bred dogs of any breed or cross-breed will have been bred for "their nature" and temperament; and the cocker spaniel breed is by nature robust  :D Many show strain dogs successfully compete in agility, take part in cani-x or similar activities; a fit and trained show strain dog will be far more robust than a "pet" working cocker, imo  ;)

I agree with this (but not the bit about a fit trained show strain dog being far more robust than a "pet" worker. I have a pet worker, and you couldn't wish to meet a more robust dog, even though she's only 8 months. I'm sure there will be robust workers and show dogs, it all depends on how they've been trained, exercised and looked after)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 08:54:59 PM »

I agree with this (but not the bit about a fit trained show strain dog being far more robust than a "pet" worker. I have a pet worker, and you couldn't wish to meet a more robust dog, even though she's only 8 months. I'm sure there will be robust workers and show dogs, it all depends on how they've been trained, exercised and looked after)

I didn't explain it very well - what I meant was that I wouldn't assume that a working cocker from a pet home would be capable of accompanying me and my other dogs on day hikes just because they are from working stock - they would need to build up and train, just like my show cockers did  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline pcmikey

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 10:49:20 PM »
Thanks for all your replies,never thought i would get so many.
We have decided to go for a pure show cocker.We are on the list for a litter that is due in 3 weeks.So fingers crossed there will be a perfect chocolate roan girl for us. ;)

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:29 PM »
Excellent, hope the replies helped. Good luck for your wee girl  :luv:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo