Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Nisher

Help needed
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:03:55 AM »
My wife and I have recently moved from a small town out to the countryside.

We lived in a small development and because of this fact we decided against bringing a dog into our home.

Now that we have now relocated to a spacious new home we are now actively looking for a cocker spaniel.

We have researched this site and read others on this matter.

We are a childless couple and I've always wanted a cocker.

In the past few days we have had the chance to take a beige cocker for free from someone we know.

This cocker is being kept tied up in a garage and originally came from the pound.

The owners gave us an opportunity to meet the dog.  On both occasions the dog became quite vicious and almost bit my face whilst stroking it's back.  Only by chance I had stood up after bending down to pat him that the dog would have bitten into my face.

On first impressions this dog needs to be reconditioned as cockers from what i read are not deemed to be vicious dogs.  We are both new and relatively inexperienced dog owners but are both dog lovers.

We feel this does not feel right for us as we feel we do not possess the right skills and experience to retrain this cocker.  The current owners have only had the dog a few months and my wife and are both dubious of the dog's history.

I've always read on here that it's best to wait for the right dog even if it takes a lot longer.

I'm a little disappointed to say the least from our first meet and greet.

Offline mooching

Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 01:19:57 AM »
hi Nisher,

Welcome back to COL!

I can understand your wanting to help this dog, but, based on what you've said, especially the bit about not having the experience to know how to help a dog with problems like this, I would advise you to not take this one on. If you are concerned about the dog's welfare, then I would suggest you phone the RSPCA and let them know the conditions in which this dog is being kept.

I would suggest that you perhaps have a look at the Rescue Cockers folder here, and keep an eye on it, and see if you can perhaps home a dog from a proper rescue where the dog and you can be properly matched up together.

EDIT: I just saw that from your profile that you are in Northern Ireland. Would you consider a trip to the mainland for your dog, or would you only be looking in Northern Ireland?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »
hi and welcome to COL

I agree with Mooching - you should inform someone about the dog

The dog could be in pain and could need a vet

as you have no experience I would only rehome a dog from a good rescue like the ones that are on here, as they will give you back up and support either by someone living near you or a phone number you can ring to get advice and the dog will have been fully assessed also for any problems.

Good luck with your search and please do your bit for the dog you have been offered by informing someone

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:01 AM »
I think that your right in thinking that this dog would present too many issues for you to deal with and you may be setting yourself up for failure.  It does sound like the family who got this dog have found that they can't cope with the behaviourial problems which is why they are trying to move him on. If you did want to have a rescue dog there are many rescues that foster their dogs in family homes so that they are aware of all issues as opposed to kenneling dogs where it is difficult to assess dogs entirely as the dogs are never in a normal situation.  Any good rescue will match you with the right dog, but you may have to be patient and wait.

If you can suggest to the owners that the dog is taken to a rescue rather than passed on for free, it will ensure that the dogs best interests are taken into account.  As it is the dogs future is somewhat uncertain and likely to become another problem for someone else.

There are many rescues that put details on COL and it will be worth registering with them and getting your homechecks done ahead of finding a dog.  It is vey likely that you will have to travel to find the right dog.

Hope you find your cocker friend in the New Year.  :D

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:32:16 AM »
That poor dog!!!  If they can't deal with its behaviour, then they should part with it.  It is so cruel keeping it tied up in a garage.  I do hope you will tell someone.

I hope you find the right dog for you very soon..................but, please try to do something for the other little one.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
Poor dog, what a horrible life tied up in a garage. The owners need to seek professional help for it and quickly. Well done for doing some research into cockers, please go with your gut instinct, sad and dissapointing though it is this is not the right dog for you.

I hope you find the right dog, as others have advised, you and the dog need to be the right match and there are rescues that are experienced in facillatating this. Good luck.
Milly

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
Whereabouts is this dog that's being kept in the garage? I would strongly urge you to get his owners to sign him over to a rescue, keeping him tied up in a garage, especially in the weather that we've been having (I'm in Portstewart visiting my family and it has been colder than I have ever known it here) is nothing short of cruel. Please pass on these rescue details to the owners, and they may also be able to help you in your search for a dog, they all have dogs looking for new homes -

http://www.rainbowrehoming.com/

http://www.7thheaven.org.uk/

http://www.midantrimanimalsanctuary.org/

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/searchcentres/ballymena/default.aspx
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Nic as this poor dog really needs to go to a rescue where they can be assessed and rehomed suitably rather than what may happen is they could be bounced from owner to owner.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »
Poor dog, no wonder its disturbed.
However, an inexperienced owner should never ever take on a dog with issues. You are right with your gut instinct to be patient.
Good luck
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:48:39 PM »
That poor dog :'(

I think you are right not to take the dog on but so glad you feel you must do something for him :'(

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
It's lovely to read of how you are considering a new addition to your home/life.  If you have not had a dog before I would urge you to think about having a puppy and enjoying all the joys of growing and learning together.  Adopting dogs can create more trials and is very rewarding but can also be very challenging.  Giving a puppy a loving home ,I believe is just as important . Welcome to dog owning it's a fantastic place to be.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:15:41 AM »
It's lovely to read of how you are considering a new addition to your home/life.  If you have not had a dog before I would urge you to think about having a puppy and enjoying all the joys of growing and learning together.  Adopting dogs can create more trials and is very rewarding but can also be very challenging.  Giving a puppy a loving home ,I believe is just as important . Welcome to dog owning it's a fantastic place to be.

I agree, as a first time owner a puppy would be best or possibly a rehome that has come from circumstances where a family has had to give the dog up and you know the history. Good luck 
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline black taz

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »
What a bad start to trying to find your canine companion - i agree with your decision that he is probably too much to take on.  From personal experience, Taz (cocker) has been much more of an handful that other breeds i have had and he was a puppy when i got him and doesnt have any aggression issues.  Even after owing 4 dogs, i still dont think i would be experienced enough to deal with a traumatised/aggresive dog.

There are some lovely dogs in rescue though if you don't want to go down the puppy route - my aunt has just rehomed a beautiful 4 year old greyhound who was rehomed due to marriage breakup.

Good luck with your search and i hope you keep us updated on your progress even if you don't get a cocker.