Author Topic: Going Away  (Read 710 times)

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Going Away
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »
I am at last going to visit my daughter in Chicago :shades: I cant wait she moved over there on the 15th December, it seems alot longer though, I am missing the Grandchildren so really looking forward to it.  The only problem is my little Selby :luv: I am going to be away for 3 weeks, :'( I am already filling up at the thought of leaving him for 3 weeks, do you think he will remember me when I get back? and has anyone any ideas on making this less painful :'(  I am so torn now and wished I wasnt going for so long, I am going on my own and OH is looking after Selby, so I will be able to Skype Selby, do you think that will be ok or will that make it worse for Selby?  Thanks

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: Going Away
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »
I had the same dilemma when my son was living in California.  When I went to visit him, I had to go for at least 2 weeks each visit.

The first time is the worse..................and although you will miss Selby, and he will miss you..................at least he will have your OH for his reassurance won't he?  At least he is not going to be in kennels.

Have a great time, and just look forward to all those cocker kisses when you return.  :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
I left my dogs for nearly 4 months a couple of years ago to go travelling in South America, they absolutely didn't forget me! They were all fine, Rodaidh moped around my Mum's house for a few days but then he was grand, he went mad when I got back and wouldn't let me out of his sight for ages but Tilly and Alfie acted like I'd only been away for a few hours :lol2:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
I'm sure he will be fine Lynn, at least he is still with someone he knows and not in kennels.  I'm sure you'll miss him like mad though!  Hope you have a fab time!  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »
I've just been away to NZ by myself for 4 weeks with Jarv left at home with OH.  He had a ball.  He didn't pine and adjusted within days.  I missed him far more than he did me, although the cuddles when I got home were almost worth being away from him  :luv:

I'm sorry but there's no way I would skype my dog, I really don't think that's necessary.  He's with someone he knows and trusts and he'll remember you when you get home  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
I left Ollie with my OH for three Weeks in Jan when I went to NZ to see my DD and grandson. I missed him very much and was disappointed to find on my return that he was fine and I don't think he had really missed me >:D He will be fine just enjoy yourself, I wouldn't re comend skpeing, it will upset you and confuse him.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline revis

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:11 PM »
we have just returned from going away for 2 weeks to Miami to stay with our son and family .The night before going I just wished I could cancel it.iknew Maggie would be fine with our daughter Shiona and family but its that guilty feeling. we had photos sent of Maggie running with Archie she had never done that before.So excited to see her on our return then B A cancelled the flight so another 24 hours to wait.In Maggies own quiet way she gave us such a welcome.Enjoy your holiday and wait for that great welcome   

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 06:32:52 AM »
Thank you all so much, it has made me feel better knowing that he will not forget me, I dont think I will skype him, as you say it may confuse him if he hears my voice, I just worry because he is my friend and we are getting so close, its me he sits with and looks after, I just feel that I am letting him down. But I do feel better that others have gone away and they still remember :luv:  I will look forward to the cocker kisses ;)

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »
 :bigarmhug:'s from me.... completely understand where you're coming from but really - it will be much harder for you than it will be for Selby!   :luv:
First time I went away for a week and left Maggie with my parents I felt awful, convinced she would pine away for me, especially as its only me here with her and I work from home.  But after a couple of hours sat at the door waiting for me to come back she was absolutely fine.  Fitted right into mum and dad's routine and even imparted some of our routine on them (not the best part if I'm honest - think mum got a shock to find a hairy hound under the covers with her in the morning  :005:)
Go away, enjoy your holiday and be safe in the knowledge that you will get the biggest of welcome homes from your boy when you get back (tho be prepared in case he huffs it for a day or so  :005: )
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown