Author Topic: What do you think to some wheels?  (Read 853 times)

Offline mandyblur

What do you think to some wheels?
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
Hey everyone,

My cocker loves to pull and run around like a manic - we've been doing leash training and he is coming on really well.

I've been looking into ideas for how to drain his energy even more (we can't let him off leash as he doesn't respond to any recall)

I'm considering buying a skate board - i already have a good padded harness designed for pulling - then he can pull me along and i can use 2 leashes for control.

Do you think this is something he would enjoy? Do you think its worth trying?

Just to add we rehomed Brandy almost 2 years ago and he had, had no training what so ever! Hence why he doesn't respond to recall.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: What do you think to some wheels?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
Does he do Agilty, flyball, or similar?  Training works their brain and body and tires them out more than just exercise. Find it games are good too. Teaching him to push a skate board would also be a fun activity.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »
what about cannix

Offline JulieM

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Just taught Florence to skateboard- don't know how tiring it is, but it is hilarious  :005:

Training class might be good, even not agility/ flyball etc. Florence is exhausted all the next day even after something like Rally

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »

I'm considering buying a skate board - i already have a good padded harness designed for pulling - then he can pull me along and i can use 2 leashes for control.

Just to add we rehomed Brandy almost 2 years ago and he had, had no training what so ever! Hence why he doesn't respond to recall.

I would be worried about your dogs neck,back and shoulders trying to pull you on skateboard  :huh: cockers are not really built for this type of exercise,if you had a husky maybe  :shades:

You could tire your dog out far more mentally with lots of training,it is never to late to teach recall,there is a sticky on recall at the top of the behaviour board. ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
Just taught Florence to skateboard- don't know how tiring it is, but it is hilarious

Taught mine too - very entertaining!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
How about taking him out with the bike? We use one of these http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/dog_bicycle_baskets/biking_leads/13166
We take regular stops but the dogs just want to keep going  :005: I think Rio would go all weekend!  :005:

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »

I would be worried about your dogs neck,back and shoulders trying to pull you on skateboard  :huh: cockers are not really built for this type of exercise,if you had a husky maybe  :shades:

[/quote]

Me too  ph34r

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
canicross would be good,  I run with my 2 workers,  they love it!!! 

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »
Just taught Florence to skateboard- don't know how tiring it is, but it is hilarious  :005:

Training class might be good, even not agility/ flyball etc. Florence is exhausted all the next day even after something like Rally

:005: Sorry was just imagining Florence actually ON a skateboard.  :005:

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
I do Agility with Bob and he loves it so much.. as do i ....we are also just about to start a bit of rally 'o'
i also do obedience training with him