Author Topic: Difference between males and females  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Clare B

Difference between males and females
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »
Took Flo to the park today ... Its Anzac day so A public holiday. 
Met 3 boy cockers, they were all running about wanting to play with Flo, but Flo is so ball obsessed she wasn't interested.  So I took her ball and popped it in my bag hoping she would play, but all she dud was bark at me to get the ball out again.  Talking to the various owners, and they were all saying how their male dogs love to play and can be rather unfocused when around other dogs ( I thought they were all delightful) and although I love it that Flo can exercise with the ball, it would be nice if would run and play with other dogs.  I have noticed though that Flos brother ( owned by friend of ours) is also a great player with other dogs and less intense than Flo. 
Is this a male difference from the female?  The male cockers I've met seem to be very happy-go-lucky, whilst the females mire focused and intense....
also the boys all seem to have bigger handsome heads ( including Flos brother) whilst Flos mussel is narrower , and her overall look is pretty and cute Verses the handsome and beautiful.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Difference between males and females
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
My two are the total opposite. Fred is totally ball obsessed and if he hasnt got a ball with him still prefers his own company to running around with other dogs, Kooki has to be encouraged to play with a ball and although happy pootering along in her own little world also loves playing with other dogs..
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mrs Pepperpot

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »
Pepper loves other dogs and will play and play!  Not bothered about toys - although she is beginning to enjoy retrieving a glove!  :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
Neither of my cockers (1 male, 1 female) really go and play with other dogs as they much prefer to go off sniffing around and investigating stuff. Stella my sprocker girl will but then she is still only a pup
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
Nerys (female, obviously with a name like that  :005:) loves playing with other dogs - especially if she meets another cocker, she is in heaven then.  She will play ball with me, but her favourite occupation is running, running, running  :lol2:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
Odie loves playing with other dogs but he rarely has the chance where we go so I'm not surprised at that!  He's a lazy devil with balls/toys - will maybe fetch once then that's his lot :005:  Wish he was more focussed on something (even food isn't a match for another playmate), it would make recall easier :shades:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
I have three boys.
If I have a ball they will all be interested and play, the middle one especially, he is obsessed.
If there is no ball they are happy to play with other dogs if they are available or just run around with each other and have a sniff
Generally they all seem to just go with the flow
Only ever had boys, so no comment on the girls i'm afraid  

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
My boy is toy mad. My girl isn't, but is more serious (and stubborn) than my boy. Neither are interested in playing with other dogs (apart from each other sometimes).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
Charlie when he's out isn't all that interested in other dogs or toys. He'll say hello and maybe have a run around for a bit but he's not that bothered.

In the house he's toy obsessed :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline jessandme

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
I think it is a question of personality rather than male/female.

Jess (2 years old now) is not very interested in her ball at all, nor is she particularly interested in toys as a general rule.  She will usually run after a ball and bring it back, it has taken 2 years and a lot of work to reach this point though.  She loves pottering around on her own, but playing with other dogs - particularly other cockers - is what she loves best.  And she is very motivated by food!

Focussed and intense are not words I'd use to describe her.

Male dogs do tend to be larger in general so will in tend to have larger heads, and they do have a broader brow usually. 

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
Ruby is 4 and completely ball obsessed.When we are exercising with the chuckit she is not sociable with other dogs and if a dog does approach us when she has her ball she will give a growl and a bark to tell it to bog off.Occasionally she will let a dog sniff/greet her but the ball stays firmly in her mouth,she will stand quite erect and when she has let the dog have a sniff she trots off.

When she doesn't have the ball it is 50/50 whether she will play or not as she is VERY choosy who she plays with.She isn't very keen on large bouncy dogs,or dogs that are too full on with no manners and she will soon put them in their place,but i do love it when she takes a shine to a dog and has a full on run around with them as she spins in circles and it is so funny to watch.
Mostly i would say she is too busy sniffing and investigating "stuff" to play and i believe that it is down to personality rather than because she is female.  ;)

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Clare B

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 05:04:22 AM »
Ruby is 4 and completely ball obsessed.When we are exercising with the chuckit she is not sociable with other dogs and if a dog does approach us when she has her ball she will give a growl and a bark to tell it to bog off.Occasionally she will let a dog sniff/greet her but the ball stays firmly in her mouth,she will stand quite erect and when she has let the dog have a sniff she trots off.

When she doesn't have the ball it is 50/50 whether she will play or not as she is VERY choosy who she plays with.She isn't very keen on large bouncy dogs,or dogs that are too full on with no manners and she will soon put them in their place,but i do love it when she takes a shine to a dog and has a full on run around with them as she spins in circles and it is so funny to watch.
Mostly i would say she is too busy sniffing and investigating "stuff" to play and i believe that it is down to personality rather than because she is female.  ;)

Ruby sounds just like Flo, very choosy and doesn't like dogs that are too full on, very rarely does she enjoy a race around with another dog, but when she does it gives me a giggle.  :005:
Guess its just a personality thing rather than gender gauging from the replies above.

Offline wendyt

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
My 2 WCS boys are so obsessed with and balls/dummies that they are not interested in playing with other dogs at all. When they are not retreiving they just run around together or are off sniffing and investigating. They will have a quick sniff to say hello to other dogs but that's it then they are off. :D

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »

Maybe it's an Ormesguarde thing Toni, because Bella's very snooty choosy about other playing with other dogs too.  ph34r

We only take a ball if we're walking inthe local park, and she's obsessed with it then. We never take it on longer walks, and then she's just focused on scents and running running running. Not interested in other dogs since she hit puberty really, and can be quite snappy if they're intrusive or she's trying to keep them away from me. She will sometimes surprise me by playing with a strange dog though, and she's always sweet with puppies. She's spayed btw, and became even less tolerant after that.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
Think it depends on the dog and age of dog rather than the sex.

Both mine are girls and are totaly different Missy is all for balls and Candy not interested one bit in them but she likes to play more