Author Topic: How long do you walk your cocker for?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline lollie

How long do you walk your cocker for?
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Just trying to get myself prepared really. How often and for how long do you walk your cocker each day?

Xx

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Re: How long do you walk your cocker for?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:21:51 PM »
Selby goes out about 8am for 45 mins then at lunch for about half an hour then 45 at about 7 then out for a wee at about 10 - 11 they are all off lead walks and swims as we live just over from the stream/ river but is still up for more :005:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
Riley 6 months has roughly each day morning 40 mins walk, afternoon or evening about 30 mins, and sometimes 15-20 at night about 7pm.
All on lead but does get off for a run one or two of the walks.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
This is a very long thread but is worth checking out http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=94215.msg1396375#msg1396375

A general rule of thumb for puppies is to walk them for no longer than 5 minutes per month of their age. So for instance, a 3 month old puppy shouldn't be walked for longer than about 15 minutes at a time (but you could do more than one 15 minute walk each day) and a 6 month old puppy about 30 minutes per walk. The reason is to protect joints and growth plates that could be affected by too much exercise and cause problems in later life.

The occasional longer walk won't do any harm and if some of your walk is on lead the puppy won't be running about as much as it would if off lead all the time, so you could probably do a bit of a longer walk.

Combining a walk with training is good for your puppy too and will help build up a bond between you (as well as tiring puppy out so you can have a bit of peace when you get home) :005:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
Having stuck fairly hard to the five minutes per month rule while she was growing up, Penny now seems to be able to take as much or as little exercise as I care to give her  :luv:

Regularly, we have two offlead walks a day, around 40 minutes as a rule, but often the afternoon walk is longer. I try to give her a couple of on-lead walks per week as well, and if we go somewhere new, she's on the long lead as a matter of course because there are too many places to get lost round here and while her recall is good, she's impetuous where birds are concerned and can take off any time (my nerves can't take it these days!).

When we were on holiday in Arran, she walked 12 miles without turning a hair, in fact she was ready to go out again a couple of hours later!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
As Elaine has kindly posted the link to the fairly recent thread we had on the subject, I'll close this one ;)
Jane