Author Topic: seems to be going deaf  (Read 1648 times)

Offline jujuli

seems to be going deaf
« on: July 20, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
Im getting virtually no response from Charlie when I call him anymore.   I could be in denial but I hope its because we got another dog and he has learnt to zone out of his own name because we are calling the other dog too.  Sometimes i think i am just imagining it and he can hear things ok but its usually after saying his name several times and getting louder or he could just be following the other dog.  But he didnt notice i had dropped some biscuits near his head on the wooden floor the other day and he used to dive for dropped food. He fairly recently had a bladder stone removed which was traumatic for him.  He has got more barky and also wary of other dogs.     Does anyone elses cocker have selective hearing which seems like deafness?!  Hes never had ear infections or any problems.

Offline chrisnjulie

Re: seems to be going deaf
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
Hmmm I would take him to be looked at .....especially if he's getting wary of other dogs ...he might not be able to hear them approaching and then they're giving him a fright .
AND a dog not hearing biscuits drop on a wooden floor says it all , pop him along to the vet . ;)
Julie , Chris , Sadie the Clumber Spaniel ,Henry the cocker and Brody the cocker
                     x x x

Offline jujuli

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
Yes I think I'm just hoping I'm imagining it in a way. Have noticed that when I call him and he does happen to look up he will look in the wrong direction as if he's thinking "where did that come from" and I feel I am answering my own questions as I type!

Offline fionad

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
How old is Charlie? Both our Rainbow girls went deaf as they got really old. It didn't cause us much of a problem. We all got used to our own sign language pretty quickly. As long as they had another dog to pick up cues for recall it was ok. It was only tricky when they were walked off lead alone but on the whole they didn't want to get lost so kept checking on us all the time.

Offline jujuli

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »
Charlie is only 6 which seems quite young. Luckily he has always checked in to see where I am on walks and stays with our other dog who wont let him go far, but I have had to wait for him to look at me if I change direction lately. And im over exaggerating my hand signals too.  Tonight I called his name and he looked at me straight away so it doesn't seem to happen all the time. It's confusing!

Offline chrisnjulie

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »
It could be something as simple as an ear infection which is giving him bouts of hearing and non hearing , my OH gets in all the time !! Ahem !

How is Charlie doing ?
Julie , Chris , Sadie the Clumber Spaniel ,Henry the cocker and Brody the cocker
                     x x x

Offline Helly D

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
Six is quite young to go deaf but it does happen. Both my cockers went deaf. Rosie can hear the door bell sometimes and sometimes she thinks the fridge door beeping is the door bell so barks. She tends to bark at things she thinks she can hear. Sam lost his hearing completely but he had terrible scarring from repeated ear infections. Have you tried testing his response to the sound of dog treats being opened or something similar? My dog uses her nose much more to detect if treats are on offer but can't hear the packet being opened.

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
Im getting virtually no response from Charlie when I call him anymore.   I could be in denial but I hope its because we got another dog and he has learnt to zone out of his own name because we are calling the other dog too.  Sometimes i think i am just imagining it and he can hear things ok but its usually after saying his name several times and getting louder or he could just be following the other dog.  But he didnt notice i had dropped some biscuits near his head on the wooden floor the other day and he used to dive for dropped food. He fairly recently had a bladder stone removed which was traumatic for him.  He has got more barky and also wary of other dogs.     Does anyone elses cocker have selective hearing which seems like deafness?!  Hes never had ear infections or any problems.
I have just found out Lexi 6 year old is deaf. Thought as she is not the most obedient spaniel she was ignoring us, but took her to the vet for an ear check and out of the blue she is deaf [emoji45]. No wax no infection just deaf. So she seems to be coping but I suppose she has no choice. She knows some signs. The biggest problem is calling her in from the yard. She had learned flicking the light on and off means come in. We will all cope but so sad for her. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk