Author Topic: List of Affixes  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: List of Affixes
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »
I've taken a note of all the ones that are on here so far. so these can be deleted if you want but can I leave the post open asking for PMs? 

Home breeders are of particular interest because these won't be listed in any of the working or show references I can use from the BRS.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »
Nicola I can see why you'd want one of those.... and he's not far from me.  Has got a lovely looking black cocker bitch for sale would be so tempting to fit one more in ph34r :luv:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »
I'm intrigued Tasha - what do you mean by a "pet" affix?   :huh:

Do you mean breeders who do not actively work or show their dogs?  I thought a sign of a "reputable" breeder was one who only bred from good examples of the breed - which is assessed through show results or proven abilities in the field (either competitively or actually working)..... :huh:  I read the term "pet" breeders to mean either commercial kennels (or worse, puppy farms) or backyard breeders, some of whom do register their own KC affix (for what reason, I'm not sure).

I'm sure there are many thousands of breeders out there who churn out KC registered puppies for the pet market.....cockers are a lot more popular than Wiems and so the size of the task you have set yourself would be significant, and I'm not sure to what end, if the quality of the breeder and their lines was not a consideration  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »
Nicola I can see why you'd want one of those.... and he's not far from me.  Has got a lovely looking black cocker bitch for sale would be so tempting to fit one more in ph34r :luv:

I know... when I saw her for a second the mad thought crossed my mind to ring up and see how much she is but then I came to my senses again  ph34r :lol: 

His dogs are fab, I've admired them for a long time.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »
with regard to data I am an absolute DEMON and don't like in accuracies so I am interested in all the different affixes but the home ones will be difficult to spot and its more likely that people on here will know if a dog came from a one off pet breeder or a serial puppy farmer.  The only thing I will note is 'Breeder Type' working /show/pet so that you can identify dogs that have been bred for working purposes, showing or as family pets.

I know its a mammoth task but sometimes where one person starts someone else will carry on or add to.. the weim one we have started off with a few people updating it and now we are slowing getting a global pedigree database together that is free and online direct from the BRS so accurate as far as possible.  Its a fantastic resource and I recon I have a good 30 years at least where I can enter data :D :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 09:35:21 PM »
Islanza - show-strain cockers
Jardinisle - show-strain cockers
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 11:23:52 PM »
I've taken a note of all the ones that are on here so far. so these can be deleted if you want but can I leave the post open asking for PMs? 

If the affixes already listed are deleted, you'll have people not realising they have already been given to you so you'll probably get a lot of repetition. If they're not deleted & people carry on adding to this thread, we've got the problem of a discussion forum not really being suitable for the collection of what could be large amounts of data. Perhaps it would be best to do as you suggest and just ask members to contact you privately if they want to help with your research.

Jane

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 11:55:52 PM »
I think the term pet can mean many things
You might get backyard breeders or puppy farmers under that category  :-\
You get the one litters who don't do much homework
and one litters who do try there best to do things right
there are also  breeders who do not show or work there dogs  they do all health tests and uses good examples of the breed , who rear pups very well and take them back if things go wrong  :-\
( I know of a few breeders who are just like this some of them are on Col  ).I personly would think of them as reputable
 :blink:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Qumok

• Site Member
  • Matagowrie of Merrybray
    • CSCOI
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 12:48:21 AM »
If one is trying to wade through hundreds of thousands of registered cockers, many of whose owners and affix's are long gone, its a reasonable step to try and organise the data under reasonable headings.

If Tasha is rolling up her sleeves and willing to type her fingers to the bones to make free and open access to such a wonderful resource, we should be jumping through hoops to assist.

That includes all information. Good, bad and ugly.

Puppy farming should be tackled through political action and organisation, as requested in other areas of this forum.

Making a free, open list of every cocker registered has only one moral decision relevant to it - that to do it in the first place for those that will use it - us and future generations.

It has nothing to do with penciling in the anti puppy farming message again.

Tasha, a suggestion (in this discussion forum), Redo the thread in the Pedigree research subforum (not so discussion) asking the same question, followed by an editable (updated) alphabetised list.

If admin can close the topic to replys and make it a "sticky", then ask contributers to PM you additions after checking against the main list.

That way...

You get your info, which you want to share with us all. (Thank you)

Admin keeps a tidy forum.

Thread does not get infected by aggressive posts.

From my own meager research I fear they were the wrong three headings, I imagine most, especially for the first 80+ years breed for all options.

Unless there was a "Frankenstein" affix, who would have spliced for the moral good of the breed, taking the best head, back, etc.  ;)

Q.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 07:39:59 AM »
tasha, just a suggestion....curtisio built up a col database on here...it may be worth while checking that and getting affixes from there - i know a lot of dogs are on there (i can't check cos i have a mac and it won't download). Then you can ask members (if they're still active) for any other details.

otherwise, i'm happy to send you jarv's pedigree for you to add the affixes from

h
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 09:26:09 AM »
Tasha, a suggestion (in this discussion forum), Redo the thread in the Pedigree research subforum (not so discussion) asking the same question, followed by an editable (updated) alphabetised list.

Sorry but no - a discussion forum is not the best place to collate large amounts of data for research purposes (the list you envisage would be massive!). I personally think such a large project would be better allocated to it's own web space and if Tasha wants any advice on that, then I would be happy to help. For the moment, Tasha has already suggested that people contact her privately & that is how we will leave things.

Jane