Author Topic: Howling ?!  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Leo0106

Howling ?!
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
Does anyone's cocker howl when they play with a squeeky toy?? I rotate leos toys (he has about 1000 toys  :005: )
Recently I found a blue squeeky ball which he looovvveeesss.. the last few nights he grabs it to play with and inbetween squeaking he starts grumbling away at it and then breaks out into a full harmony of howling. He's never howled in his life!

Hilarious and just want to know if others do the same. (Also want to just make sure that it isn't a sign he's distressed or anything... it's a very loud squeek!)

Offline Barry H

Re: Howling ?!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »
No, Jack has complete disinterest in toys of any kind.  He occasionally howls like a banshee in the middle of the night - and he sleeps in the kitchen so you get the full echo chamber effect... 

Have no idea what the cause is.  Just a bad dream I expect.  First time it happened I had a brown trouser moment as I woke and thought my end was nigh...  Now I just ignore him (as much as you can ignore a wailing dog).  Usually lasts 5-10 seconds then back to sleep...

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
Dylan sometimes howls in his sleep. He lifts his head and gives the most plaintive heart rending howl for about a minute, doesn?t wake him up, just settles back down in his sleep. He sleeps in the bedroom so it wakes us up, probably about once a month. He doesn't know he's doing it, bit like talking in your sleep I suppose.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »
Bea grumbles in play, it's almost as if she is telling her toys / human off.

Maybe he just loves the noise and wants to join in  :005:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
Bea grumbles in play, it's almost as if she is telling her toys / human off.

Maybe he just loves the noise and wants to join in  :005:

Yes I personally think he is enjoying it haha  he looks like he likes it  but does look confused at himself when he has broken out into song mid play haha  if i knew how to upload video I would show you all haha it very cute

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
I have one that howls in her sleep and is completely unaware of it.
Bramble has never howled until last week. We were sat outside a cafe and a car alarm went off, she just sat and howled like a banshee much to the amusement of other visitors!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »
Its cute but a word of warning. Arvy likes to howl at people to get their attention and because a lot of people think its cute he does it a lot, so much I sometimes avoid the neighbours because I can't hear them over the top of him. Best not pay too much attention or you could end up with a hound of the Baskervilles like me
Kate

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »
We were at. Highland show once with our five Scotties, and as the pipe bands marched past us in the ring they all howled in unison. The crowd were in hysterics  :lol: . Mind you, bagpipes at close range make me want to howl too  :005:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »
Love that!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
We were at. Highland show once with our five Scotties, and as the pipe bands marched past us in the ring they all howled in unison. The crowd were in hysterics  :lol: . Mind you, bagpipes at close range make me want to howl too  :005:

Lesley and Dylan

:lol2: :lol2:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
Haha it is truly hysterical 
I will listen to your warning keresleykate. I'm trying not to pay too much attention and have a little giggle to myself when he does it.
He's only doing it when he plays with that one particular ball but he does look truly satisfied with himself when he does haha