Author Topic: Worried - what is causing shivering, lethargy and problem with going up stairs?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
Can anyone help? Pepper hasn't been himself since yesterday morning when we came back from our walk. He was shivering so I put his equafleece on and went to work but when I came home at lunchtime he wasn't himself but I thought he was just feeling sorry for himself for some reason so just fussed over him for a bit.

When I got home at the end of the day he was shivering and wasn't too keen to go out on his walk which is absolutely unheard of. Normally he is tearing around barking but he just continued to lay on the carpet looking up at me when I said 'walkies'. I was a bit worried so took him to the vet last night but he couldn't see anything obvious so gave him a shot of painkiller and a shot of antibiotic. He didn't improve today so I took him back to the vets to see someone different but she couldn't find anything so has given him a week’s course of anti-inflammatory painkillers. The only thing that could be a concern is he didn't like one of his hind legs being stretched out by the vet, he didn't grumble but couldn't extend the leg fully.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing his discomfort? Might it be early onset of arthritis? He’s eating his meals so whatever it is isn't affecting his appetite.

He will be 5 in May.

Offline maddy74

Its good he is still eating. Is he moving freely other than the stairs? Shivering can indicate pain/discomfort.

Its probably not this but its really windy and rainy here and its whistling against the house. It couldnt be that un nerving him could it. My friend from work has messaged me and her dog is really stressed about it.

Did the vet feel all over him and everywhere was ok?

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
Sorry to hear that Pepper is out of sorts, I do know of a couple of local dogs who have had the shivering and lethargy thing recently, but that was coupled with being off food also. They're ok now. It is suspected they picked something up from the constant walks thro' filthy water and endless mud we 're all subjected to at present. Is Pepper wee-ing and poo-ing ok? It's always a worry but if  Pepper is in some discomfort that maybe creating the symptoms. If nothing else changes I would give the anti inflammatory tabs a couple of days  to work, but if no improvement, a return trip to the Vets. here's hoping Pepper picks up quickly. M

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Think I would be tempted to rest her for a few days, don't allow her to use stairs just in case there is a problem with the rear leg.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
Thanks all for your responses.

Maddy74 - he's moving OK other than when he has to put pressure on his back legs and his tail still wags occasionally which is good.  :blink:

GeoW - he's weeing and pooing OK and the colour is all fine so nothing to worry about there fortunately.

Ollie nathan's mum - the vet has told me to put Pepper under house arrest for a few days to give his body a chance to rest so hopefully that might sort things out. I just hope that Pepper isn't too upset about not going out but so far I think he would rather just relax so that's good. Since yesterday he hasn't been going upstairs on his own as I think it's too uncomfortable so I'll just keep an eye on things to make sure he doesn't put himself in a situation where he might hurt himself.

Just hope the symptoms don't lead to something more sinister...  :-\

Offline maddy74

Awwwww, maybe he has just pulled a muscle and after a few days of rest he will be right as rain. Paws crossed xx

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Yeah I'd give him a few days rest - no climbing the stairs, jumping on and off things. Might be he's tweaked a muscle in his back thats causing the problem with his back legs as well.  Gentle squidges coming from all here xxx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Poor Pepper, hope he feels better very soon.

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
Poor Pepper Hope soon gets better
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline ANJ

• Otis 24.10.2010
How's Pepper today??

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Hope pepper is feeling better today
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline fiona2

• Donator
How is Pepper today?

Offline MrsOmalley

• Donator
  • Bella and Millie born 01/10/2012
Sorry to hear Pepper is unwell and hope he soon picks up.

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
Thanks all for your concern.  :blink:

I think the painkillers have kicked in as he's a little more lively today but still doesn't want to get up on the sofa or go upstairs but that's fine. He looks longingly at me and I do what most of us on here would do and pick him up and carry him to where he wants to go.  :D

I know he must be in discomfort as he isn't bothered at all about going out for a walk and that is extremely unlike him. He's also much quieter than normal so I guess his body is just going through some healing...

We are back at the vets tomorrow evening for a check up so hopefully nothing more will materialise and he will continue to mend.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Probably not a bad thing that he is not keen on stairs or jumping on the couch.  It does seem that there has been a bit of an improvement, and I hope you get a good report from the vet tomorrow  :luv:  I would definitely be one of those carrying him around too  :005: