Author Topic: Undescended testicle - decision made  (Read 5242 times)

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
Re: Undescended testicle - decision made
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »
Wonderful to receive so many great comments re William's progress. :D

Appetite is good and the wound seems stable. They also found a tiny hernia when they operated which they sorted.

Yesterday he still seemed a bit spaced out, and in some discomfort, but this morning he is much brighter. We were getting a little concerned yesterday because he hadn't had a wee since before his op, but thankfully last night he did one - what a relief for us all  ;) He's also since done a poo, so all the internal plumbing is operating.

Slept downstairs on the floor again with him last night to guard against him licking the wound, needn't have worried he snuggled under the duvet and slept quietly for most of the night, he'd better not get too used to that!. :005:

Mobility has improved a lot and he's getting upstairs to my office now, at least I can keep a close anti- lick watch on him.

M.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
Bless  :luv:  I'm glad he's feeling more comfortable, here's to a speedy recovery!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
Glad to hear William is brighter Maurice, they are such a worry arent they?

It was more than 24 hours after the op before Jinley had a wee and we were getting slightly worried (and paranoid) until she had been. 

I am sure he will be back to his normal self soon (and no doubt taking advantage of the sympathy you have been showing him)  :005: :005:

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
That's good news, that William is feeling brighter. I'm impressed you slept on the floor with him Maurice, the bed is sooo much more comfortable for you and William  ;)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
Ah sounds as though he's
doing just fine... hurrah!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
Sounds as though William is doing really well  :D

Offline GeoW

• Donator
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Thank you, Lesley, Pat, Claire, Steff, and Jayne.

@Pat - I thought I would post about the 'wee' timeline as it may  help others in a similar situation to get an idea of the 'norm' We have dispensed with the spare tyre (as Jinley calls it), it wasn't really effective and he is responding to an Ah Ah if he shows interest.

@Claire - I don't think I would have slept any better had I gone to bed, waking at every sound in case he was 'at it',
as it was lying next to me I would know if he moved. I think Jan is just a teenyweeny bit jealous that Wills is snuggling under a duvet with me :005:

M.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »
Glad the spare tyre has gone, William will be pleased  :luv:  The wound can't be bothering him too much if he is not that determined to get at it.
Poor Jan, jealous of William being snuggled under the duvet with you, I imagine she feels neglected  :005:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
KWIK EVryWON, WILLYUM HAS HIS HED STUK INSYD HIS DADdis SPAYR TYR  :fear2: :fear2: WE SHUD GO ROWND AN ELP

:005:  :005:

JinLey an me iz on ower way WilLium. Don't worree. We iz goin to sayve yoo.

Offline GeoW

• Donator
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
Day three following the op, and Wills is seeming much better, but wound licking is still a problem if he gets the chance.

I apologise to those who may be a little squeamish at the sight of wounds but this is the result of William's operation.

It is apparently stitched inside but I can't get my head around why externally there seems such a gap in places. The swelling is starting to go down and it is not as red as following the op, and doesn't seem to be infected at all. It just looks untidy to my eye.

He is due for a follow up next Tuesday.

With the 'spare tyre' collar dispensed with we were looking for another way to stop Wills reaching the wound. The evenings and night seem to be the worst for licking, which doesn't make for much rest.

So Anti - lick Mk11.

Ah, another interesting  problem you've set me - well I'll soon have this off - and he did, the fatal flaw in design was it fell off when he stood on his back legs.

Still we intend to persevere with a Mk111.

One other thing I can't quite understand is the pain relief. He is prescribed (2) 1mg Metacam tablets to be taken both together each morning, they are apparently supposed to cover 24 hrs, but we noticed last evening that he seemed to be in a little discomfort. I would have thought that pain relief would have been spread over the day with several doses.

Still we are thankful that Wills seems well and has a good appetite.

M

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
Poor William doesnt look impressed with his man pants does he  :005: :005:

Might be worth giving the vet a call to see if his dose can be split into 2.  Jinleys, although a much smaller scar, had a couple of gaps in it also and those gaps now stand a bit prouder than the rest, but not sure if they were as big as Williams at the end??

Its a pity you cant get a very large tubigrip bandage for his belly!

Offline GeoW

• Donator
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2014, 05:25:41 PM »
Thanks Pat, it's reassuring to know that it's not a case of sloppy stitching, no doubt the Vet will explain it all when we see him on Tuesday.

Hopefully his need for pain relief will be decreasing now, but I might split them into two doses, morning and evening and see if it makes a difference.

M.

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
Poor William, it looks quite a big scar. He has been very brave  :bigarmhug:

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
That's a nasty scar William but it doesn't affect your handsome self in the slightest. Glad you are recovering and hope your mum n dad are getting over it all too xx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »
It looks a fairly big incision Maurice.  Did the vet manage to find the testicle straight away?  When Charlie had the same op, he ended up with two incisions because the vet couldn't find it  :o  but he soon healed.  William looks great, despite the indignity of a tyre and knickers  :005:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: