Author Topic: Heart medication  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Heart medication
« on: June 24, 2019, 04:26:04 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone on here have a dog on heart medication - specifically Vetmedin, Cardalis or Furosemide?
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline PennyB

Re: Heart medication
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:46:42 PM »
Ruby was on cardalis & furosemide together and it was very successful for her - in fact she would've lived longer but a tumour on her face killed her
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »
George has been on Furosemide, Vetmedin and also Fortekor for nearly a year he appears to be doing quite well. One drawback, he needs the toilet more frequently. Used to have cast iron bladder ;)
Before the meds he had a lot of fluid round his heart, which had to be drained away, the meds are keeping this at bay.
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:41:08 PM »
Thank you. Stephanie I’ve pm’d you.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Millbean

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
Hello
I just wanted to say that my Bertie was diagnosed with a heart problem (dilated cardiomyopathy) at 5 years old.  The vet put him on Vetmedin, Fortekor and Frusemide and he lived for four more happy years.  He had other problems not connected to his heart and I am convinced he would have lasted longer.  I was very careful with his food and he had a low salt intake. 

We were, of course, very careful with him.  His exercise was restricted, especially when it was warm.  I am sure the vet has told you all this, but I wanted you to know that there is hope, as with humans, if they are on the right medication.

Jacky
Bertie  12.9.2007 - 4.11.2016

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »
My first Cocker, Josh, was on Furosemide for about 7 or 8 years and another heart med. for about 5 years. Hwever, I can't remember the name of that one because it was so long ago. He started on Furosemide when he was 9 or 10 and lived until almost 17 without it, or the other heart medication, causing him any obvious side effects apart from peeing a bit more frequently. I always say it was just old age and his old body giving up on him that caused his death. Certainly he didn't have any symptoms of illness or pain, apart from a little stiffness, and had a good appetite until very close to the end.