Author Topic: Smelly dog with bad skin  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Jenclay

Smelly dog with bad skin
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
We have a 1 yr make golden/ginger cocker, came from rescue place we have had about 5 months. Very underweight and had bad skin problems black areas on skin all from his past of fleas and mange. He had hair loss and a bad smell with chronic itching. Gradually improved with weight gain and stopped itching skin and fur lovely. But over past month we have been struggling again with very bad cheesy yeasty smell, itching sores and spots and hair loss. Plus we have patches of black discolored skin again with no hair or reduced hair. Has had antibiotics and steroids but all stopped now and things not improving again, we fend him on a good quality kibble wheat and grain free hypoallergenic am and a raw diet with sweet potato pm. Want any advice for the smell or if anyone else has experienced this as too. We don’t want to keep reverting to antibiotics or steroids if there is a more natural approach.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Smelly dog with bad skin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear your rescue is having problems.  I've not personally had dogs with bad skin issues, but know people who recommend these two products:

http://www.camrosa.co.uk/dogs/dogs-itchyskin

and

https://www.stinky-stuff.co.uk/product-cat/dog-remedies/

Good luck - hope you find something that helps him.

Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 06:45:39 PM »
Seems a bit young at 1 yr old, but culd be a thyroid issue this causes dark skin, irritation and infections and hair loss etc

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
 Allergies or chronic  yeast infection? Usually the smell is the yeast .  Your vet should know what todo! Antibiotics and steroids don’t do either but work on the infection and inflammation.
First time round with this did you use malaseb shampoo?  Head and Shoulders contains exactly the same anti fungals, and a trichologist friend uses it on his cavapoo.
Raw spots are nasty, and get infected easily, my springer had this as part of an autoimmune disorder. They spread within hours, and can join up to make large areas. She had antibiotic ointment for this . Then the hair took a six month cycle to regrow.
The sites of yeast are usually in hairy feet, hairy ears and lip folds, and it really smells musty.
I’m not against natural remedies, but I like to know what the ingredients are. You need to be careful,because tea tree oil and cider vinegar for example, are very unpleasant on broken skin.
Ears need trimming and cleaning weekly, with something the vet recommends.

What is his breath like?   My rescue terrier had 28 teeth removed,and he stank before. Is their any gum or lip fold problem?

If the vet eliminates a yeast issue, I would suspect an allergy , which could be one of a hundred things.  The online  tests with saliva  or hair are proven to be inaccurate, though that’s another post. The vet ones are best.
Do let us know what you try. It’s not easy and results are slow.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 06:45:14 PM »
Have you considered a complete raw diet? If there are possible allergy  issues it might just  be easier to pinpoint ? Another thing to watch, if you haven‘t already, are treats, chews etc.
Hope you can find a solution!  ;)

Offline Toofast

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
Acree with Bizzy lizzy.

Have you considered a raw diet.
Treatments are all very well and remedies are needed, but there is usually an underlying problem causing allergies and smelly yeast problems.
A raw diet is known to help with many such problems, but obviously not always convenient for everyone to use.
Raw does not have to be balanced daily, it will balance itself over a period of a few weeks as long as a variety of meats, offal and edible bones are used.

Offline Jenclay

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »
Hi
Thank you for that advice I am certainly interested to try any thing and will give it a go.

Hi, sorry to hear your rescue is having problems.  I've not personally had dogs with bad skin issues, but know people who recommend these two products:

http://www.camrosa.co.uk/dogs/dogs-itchyskin

and

https://www.stinky-stuff.co.uk/product-cat/dog-remedies/

Good luck - hope you find something that helps him.

Offline Jenclay

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »
Hi
That’s a very interesting read. Yes have used and tried the malaseb shampoo, but head and shoulders.... now that’s a cheaper option.
I do think it’s yet another trip back to the vets but just loosing faith. I have just started natural yogurt too but really don’t know if that’s a good plan. He is on raw diet as of last few weeks so any effects won’t be noticed yet. To be honest it is his smell and black areas to skin multiple. Bald patch I can understand and as you say so spread quickly but they look less angry now more thickened and crusty in areas.
Thanks again for advice I fear this is a long journey.
X
Allergies or chronic  yeast infection? Usually the smell is the yeast .  Your vet should know what todo! Antibiotics and steroids don’t do either but work on the infection and inflammation.
First time round with this did you use malaseb shampoo?  Head and Shoulders contains exactly the same anti fungals, and a trichologist friend uses it on his cavapoo.
Raw spots are nasty, and get infected easily, my springer had this as part of an autoimmune disorder. They spread within hours, and can join up to make large areas. She had antibiotic ointment for this . Then the hair took a six month cycle to regrow.
The sites of yeast are usually in hairy feet, hairy ears and lip folds, and it really smells musty.
I’m not against natural remedies, but I like to know what the ingredients are. You need to be careful,because tea tree oil and cider vinegar for example, are very unpleasant on broken skin.
Ears need trimming and cleaning weekly, with something the vet recommends.

What is his breath like?   My rescue terrier had 28 teeth removed,and he stank before. Is their any gum or lip fold problem?

If the vet eliminates a yeast issue, I would suspect an allergy , which could be one of a hundred things.  The online  tests with saliva  or hair are proven to be inaccurate, though that’s another post. The vet ones are best.
Do let us know what you try. It’s not easy and results are slow.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »
Has your vet done a skin scrape at all.

Some of these skin problems can be quite persistent and take a while to sort themselves

If its demodectic mange or flea allergy you may find giving a good flea treatment is also something to consider too (which also helps with mange)

A staffy that is walked past my house had demodectic mange really badly and it keeps coming back too (she came from Hope Rescue)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!