Author Topic: Recall success  (Read 2756 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Recall success
« on: August 09, 2019, 12:00:23 AM »
A note to thank Top Barks for his detailed recall instructions which I printed out for a friend with a hopelessly loopy and friendly hooligan , bonkers in her daily playtime in the park.  Play fighting  and racing with other dogs, stealing picnics and shoes, chasing squirrels etc.   Suddenly it clicked, she’s brainwashed and legs it back to the whistle, to the astonishment of other regular walkers. They ask how he’s done it, specially the owner of a Newfoundland that was the same, but responded to his whistle and came to him not the owner!
To all who are struggling,  be patient, be consistent, give high value rewards and praise.  The frustrations turn into delight and confidence!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline westergate55

Re: Recall success
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »
I have had my bitch for 3 months got her recall spot on so let her off lead in the woods she was really good staying close to me and my lab until the last couple of weeks she has been going further away and I use the whistle and treats still but she is running away been to beach twice now at low tide and she was ok I am wondering if she gets lost in the woods or is just trying her luck

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »
I have had my bitch for 3 months got her recall spot on so let her off lead in the woods she was really good staying close to me and my lab until the last couple of weeks she has been going further away and I use the whistle and treats still but she is running away been to beach twice now at low tide and she was ok I am wondering if she gets lost in the woods or is just trying her luck

You could try using a long lead, continually, for a few weeks and keep training the recall. Praise for every time your dog turns or even looks up at you while he‘s on the lead. Eventually he‘ll get used to keeping you in his sights and also the length of the lead (we used a 10 meter one) will become his accepted radius. I admit to hating it at first but stuck with it for about 6 weeks ago and it definately paid out.  ;)

Offline westergate55

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:50:20 PM »
oh that sounds a good idea thanks will try it I have a 10 meter line ready

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 06:43:40 AM »
We use a 5m or 10m line. It is a very light webbing one so when dragging on floor pup ain’t got any idea it is on. It is good for encouraging pup to quarter in front of us. We use “this way” to turn him just before lead goes taught. Long line is also good for us to introduce the stop with correct timing that is is.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
We also use a very lightweight long line and pick it up if we see other dogs approaching as we don’t allow pup bouncing on other dogs or approaching on lead dogs without permission. I want to know his playmates.
Having owned a very reactive big dog, out of control dogs running up where the owner had no recall was the bane of our lives as it would cause a major meltdown. Likewise on lead dogs may have health issues. It’s just a bug bear of mine  >:(
Our 6 month old has good recall unless another dog is very close ..... we know as adolescence hits this might regress so we will use the long line until recall is bombproof. :lol2:

Offline Barry H

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
To all who are struggling,  be patient, be consistent, give high value rewards and praise.  The frustrations turn into delight and confidence!
Good advice, but try telling that to Jack. 

- Patience?  “There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you, and there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.” ― Lemony Snicket.  With me it was more of the latter...
- Fresh roast chicken?  Not just now, thanks.  I'm busy. 
- Lots of praise?  He looked at me like I was an idiot. 
- Consistent?  OK.  Maybe not 100%. 

Granted, some do 'get it' PDQ, but Jack is not food oriented - at all.  It took at least 18 months of high level effort for the penny to drop - and only then after a couple AWOLs after which I put him on a long line for 6 months which was the single determining factor I reckon.  That and he improved with age (just like me)  :lol:

Although he's been great for the past couple of years (but may still stop for a sniff or a pee on the way back), it's at a trot, not a run.  And I still wouldn't trust him 100%.  I envy those that can.  I'd say my confidence is about 90%.  I've accepted that despite all the effort (and continuing), this is as good as it's going to get. 

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 10:26:50 AM »
My one was and is ball obsessed, what i did was to have two balls on me when out on a off lead walk or training in the field. Each time you blow recall as soon as dog looks at you chuck vall in the air a few yards behind you and hey presto you become the provider of the magic ball and provider of fun. No longer is recall the end of fun but the begining. Take ball send dog off on release command or hunt him / her rinse and repeat. The second ball is in case dog still has first one for whatever reason, do same thing cos dog doesn't necessarily want a ball in its gob it much prefers the chase 👍 i am no expert but thats how i did it
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
I also always tell people to take a type of toy they like and only use that toy on walks
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Teddy19

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:50:56 AM »
I’ll be giving this a try shortly, with our 6 month pup.

Ted has always been great off the lead (we let him off from day one) and responsive to recalls. He now doesn’t even bother other dogs if told not to, but his recent obsession is running through trees/bushes/overgrown areas. This is the only time he doesn’t seem to respond straight away, so hopefully a whistle will fix it.