Author Topic: Kennel Size?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Kennel Size?
« on: August 15, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
'Morning!

At the moment Salty spends his nights inside our annex, with access to the patio.
However, we will soon move him out into a 'traditional type wooden kennel (dog house, I'm not sure what its called), to free up the Annex.
This kennel will be within a very high walled 10 by 10 m 'patio' (currently dirt floor, sometime going to be sturdy Portuguese grass) with plenty of shade from these walls
So, he will have plenty of run-around room, the kennel will just be for privacy / shelter
We are just south of Lisbon in Portugal - winter temps are very mild (my Portuguese wife has kittens if it drops near zero for a few hours before dawn on a couple of nights a year :) ), summer temps can be hot, but the kennel will be placed against the North side of the annex which forms part of the patio wall, under the extended eaves. He currently has no probs with the Summer temps in the same patio (always plenty of fresh water and shade, and comes into cooler house in daytime), and usually sleeps outside despite having the annex.

So, I have two main questions:

1. What size kennel to get (just for sleeping)? I found https://www.dimensions.guide/element/dogs-cocker-spaniel which says Cocker max head height 55 cm, max Cocker length 75 cm, but how can I translate this to required kennel size (assuming these dimensions are +- correct)?
Would this https://pegasus-media-service.azureedge.net/assets/photo/MOD_201400-MOD_201599/16279886-0200-original-casota-para-cao.jpg?size=602x602 be OK? I would marine varnish it for protection.

2. Any comments / suggestions as to kennel design, where to get from or make, etc?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer (I did try to search the forum, but couldn't find anything relevant)

Leigh

Offline PennyB

Re: Kennel Size?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »
I guess may be similar size as you would for a crate as you only want it for shelter - which some call indoor kennels anyway

I often look at pinterest for ideas as to how to build stuff (well I like looking but never get round to anything LOL)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:08:32 PM »
I have just built a base for a kennel which will be 8ft x 3ft. 3x3 sleeping area, 5x3 run area. Not intending pup to live in there. Intended as outdoor space for him and somewhere he can go when filthy after walks or work before we “deal” with him.

I figure get it installed now then it gives pup time to get used to it before he actually has to go in it so he thinks of it as a happy place.

77084118-84E2-4E5A-90A5-29C5784C060B by Paul Johnson, on Flickr

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »
I'd suggest that it should be large enough for him to be able to stand up and look upwards if he wants to (unlikely in a kennel, but at least you know he'll have plenty of head room), wide enough and deep enough for him to be able to turn round easily and to lay flat out on his side or in that well known Cocker sprawl position :D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:05:45 PM »
Most wood kennels with run seem to have a sleeping area of 4’6” x 4’6”.  We’ve had one this year that is slightly larger with an 8’ run but then we have 5 cockers and regularly have visiting GSPs (3) who fit in easily.

The crate in the house is 36” (only-dog-cages online) and sleeps 2 cockers.

Hope that helps,

Jayne

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
These are very popular 'dog boxes' used by many in a kennel run system.  As a guide - the medium size is 36 x 24 x 24, and holds 2x springer spaniels.     https://www.kmdogtrailers.co.uk/?page_id=223

Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 06:52:24 PM »
Thanks all,
That gives me some good ideas
Paul - I just love that photo :)
Leigh