Author Topic: Hand Stripping  (Read 1316 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Hand Stripping
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:32:19 AM »
Hi, I would like to check with experienced cocker owners if i'm doing the right thing. I previously owned Airedales so I'm used to stripping with the blade. With Airedales you want a wirey coat so I know how to achieve this, but I'm sure we don't want a wirey cocker is it the same. I'll try to explain, you grab some hair get it between the blade and your fingers and you are pulling hair out but also cutting the hair at the same time does this make sense all help appreciated.
thanks
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Hand Stripping
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 08:25:16 AM »
Hi, I think your cocker is a worker is that right??? I still wouldn't put a stripping knife  near a cocker coat  :unsure: You'd be much better off with a Mars Coat King, 20 or 26 blades, you can get one from HERE

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Hand Stripping
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 12:49:16 AM »
Hi, I think your cocker is a worker is that right??? I still wouldn't put a stripping knife  near a cocker coat  :unsure: You'd be much better off with a Mars Coat King, 20 or 26 blades, you can get one from HERE
[snapback]131326[/snapback]

many thanks for the reply, at the moment my rug is full of white hair (she is blue roan) is this all the undercoat comming out? should I be doing something about this would the mars coat king fix this? remembering she is only 6 months how will this affect her puppy coat or should I just leave is alone

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Hand Stripping
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 01:33:32 AM »
If she's only 6 months old you could try a metal comb with a rubber banf thread through the teeth, this will help grip the hair and take any dead hair away. Once you've done that the Caot King will help keep it tidy  :)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Hand Stripping
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:36:52 PM »
If she's only 6 months old you could try a metal comb with a rubber banf thread through the teeth, this will help grip the hair and take any dead hair away. Once you've done that the Caot King will help keep it tidy  :)
[snapback]131639[/snapback]

Thanks Gilly,I have a fine tooth metal comb which I threaded the rubber band through  it worked quite good I do have a shedding blade which I use sometimes but was'nt sure if this was ok to use on puppy coat. What is your trick to getting the ears done and the top of the head on a very wriggly full of jumping beans pup!!!!!

Offline f.a.brook

• Site Member
    • http://sculbrook.hazybek.net
Hand Stripping
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 08:30:49 PM »
we tend not to strip our yankies out until they are 6 months for show as there back coat goes wavey bofore i find, has anyone ever found a coat king to change the texture of the coat, i was told this could happen

Fiona
HEY EVERYBODY! i have a brand spanking new website! new website :) :)
PLEASE leave me a message in the guest book at the bottom of the home page
Love to you all
Fiona