Author Topic: Where or how to learn correct grooming for home pet  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Blondeduke

Where or how to learn correct grooming for home pet
« on: February 17, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »
Are there courses to learn? I would like to be able to groom learn how to hand strip my next spaniel. It would be for private pet dog. But I am interested in showing? How does anyone else learn. Usually I use dog groomer?

Offline Barry H

Re: Where or how to learn correct grooming for home pet
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »
As I'm sure you're aware, stripping/show grooming is an art like any other and takes a long time to master.  It's also a LOT of work and a big commitment.  There is a steep learning curve, so it's not for the faint hearted.  Not everyone has the time or inclination.  I don't show my blue roan boy, but I like him to be in show trim/condition and have groomed him myself from an 8 week old pupster (now 4).  Just to keep him looking half decent takes a good 20-30 mins a day, most days.  I was determined to learn/do-it-myself and thankfully I don't mind the work.  There is no more glorious sight than a well turned out Cocker.  It's also a man/dog bonding thing... 

Best way to learn is to attend as many shows as possible and talk to as many folks as possible.  Grill them for tips!  All show folks are the salt of the earth and will willingly share their hard-earned knowledge.  If you're lucky, you may be able to arrange a  one-on-one tutorial.  There may be courses, and if there's one local to you, you're golden, though when I started I found that they're few and far between and even then usually at the other end of the country! 

I started by studying lots of pics of gorgeous show cockers from all angles, bought a few brushes/combs and did lot of research online.  You'll make lots of 'mistakes' but gradually things become clearer and as with any skill you develop a feel for it.  You'll also need deep pockets for much of the kit (buy the best you can afford). 

Having said all that, please don't be put off by any of the above.  It's definitely do-able if you have the willingness to stick with it and the courage to 'have a go'.  Even after 4 years, I'm still learning, but it does get easier.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/IhXYmc0s_vA

https://youtu.be/jkZo8AMphD8

Here are two links to videos on YouTube of a lady doing a hand strip show trim, and a pet trim. Excellent videos, you can see what is involved in either process.

If you are buying your spaniel from someone local who shows, they might teach you how to handstrip. I used to handstrip my Scottie’s that I showed, but clipped the ones I didn't, handstripping is hard work and you have to keep on top of it. But they did look beautiful, and a hand stripped spaniel is a joy to see. But you need time and patience.

Best of luck, whatever you decide  :D

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »
Well I saw a past course on wait for it east anglian cocker spaniel assoc site, it was last Nov 2018 ....but you needed the spaniel ;) so think they are really a good place to start your search in all respects.
I live over the otherside of country, but my groomer attends Crufts for a day each year to see the latest grooming products etc - I think they have lots going on in the side lines too
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:13:50 PM »
Yes thank you. My old cocker was initially hand stripped by groomer but due to being in the field ( horses) he collected so much of the field /seeds everything & dried off a lot faster being short the groomer suggested clipping him. I know urghh! It was the only way we could co exist or he spent hours drying out his fluffy long coat only to be back in field. He was good enough to show but sadly with young family it never happened plus he was our family pet. So next time no kids, no horses just whenever I find that blue roan I am looking at doing a more dog related activities. I saw the course with the Anglia group & have emailed them couple days ago to see if it's OK to pop along to their show but I guess with crufts coming up its a very busy time, not heard back yet. And yes going for 1st time crufts. Will look you tube etc. Thank you.