Author Topic: Confused by grooming advice; also groomer in South Warwickshire / North Oxon ?  (Read 3227 times)

Offline SJE9

Hi,

I have my first cocker spaniel after having previously owned dogs that didn’t require grooming. I haven’t decided yet whether I will groom her myself or take her to a professional groomer.

I have a few questions:

1) can anyone recommend a professional groomer in the South Warwickshire / North Oxfordshire area that will handstrip?

2) ideally I am looking for a groomer who will allow me stay for a first few times because I’ve been told that groomers say you have to leave the dog with them, but I think my dog would be comforted by my presence, until she gets used to it and I don’t want to leave her until she’s happy.

3) I am confused about brushes like the “Coat King”. Some people have advised me not to use it. I would like to properly understand why.
I don’t really understand it but I think the cocker spaniel has an outer coat and an inner coat. And I’ve been told clipping means that when it grows back the inner coat is as exposed to the surface as the outer coat hairs, and therefore the result is that the dog’s coat feels fluffy and fuzzy rather than silky and smooth. I think that is correct. And I can understand that. But I wonder what would happen if you were to clipper your dog’s hair on the longest clipper setting? Would that leave some outer coat hairs to give the silky feel?
And what exactly does a Coat King do? Somebody says it cuts the hair. Is that true? But I don’t understand how it does that or how it only cuts some of the hair, not all of it. It’s advertised as removing dead hair which sounds good to me. So I don’t understand why some people are saying don’t use it.
I have a Show cocker but, because we live in a very muddy rural area and because I don’t want to show her (and also I prefer the look of a shorter haired spaniel - ( I know I’m a hethen!!! )) I want to keep my dog’s fur cut quite short, but having said that I don’t want to spoil the lovely silky feel of it, so understand that she will need to not be clippered to achieve that. I like the look of working cockers and working springers more but wanted a Show cocker because of them being a little less high-drive / energetic. But I don’t want to clipper entirely either because I do love my dog’s coat’s silky feel

Looking forward to hopefully hearing back from people . Thanks

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Hi and welcome!! I‘m not qualified to give a lot advice, I struggle a bit myself I‘m afraid and have had to resort to DIY‘ing it, purely because I can‘t find a groomer locally. (I live in the sticks, in Germany!).
Just a couple of things I would say though - I was badgered into leaving Humphrey alone at the groomer the first time and although he was ok, in retrospect I wouldn‘t do it again. I think its reassuring for you and the dog to at least be able to see how she/he works and handles your dog and a good, sensitive groomer should understand and accept you being there, - you are the customer after all! ( I returned to find she‘d expressed his anal glands and also shaved his whiskers )

I find handstripping tough on my hands which, at knocking on 70, are getting a bit arthritic, so I do use a coat king but only every couple of months or so. They‘ve now brought a „dull“ version onto the market which guarantees that it doesn‘t cut the hair at all and I use that now (I have a fine 20 tooth ). A fine spratts comb with an elastic band woven through will pull out a lot of the undercoat.
Humphrey has a very wavy coat so it tends to grow in all directions and I can‘t get that sleek look but we live in the country, so I need a practical trim.

I‘m sure there will be others along soon who have more advice, I just really wanted to point out the new version of the coat king as possibly others aren‘t aware of it.
Good luck!

Offline Barry H

Sorry, can't help with groomers.  You may have a tough time finding a groomer prepared to handstrip - it's a lot of work so can be expensive.*

I handstrip my show Cocker and much prefer the look (though I don't show).  It's not hard work, just very time consuming - ie little and often rather than a marathon session.  Have never used a Coat King or anything that may cut the coat, but if you want a shortish coat without going to a groomer, then it could be the way to go.  Check out this great video about using a Coat King on a show Cocker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gjElAqAzMI

*Having said that, no doubt someone will be along shortly to say they've found a great cheap place only ten minutes from you!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Is your Cocker neutered SJE9, or if not, will he or she be neutered in the future?

Neutering can make very dramatic changes to Cocker coats, very often changing the texture and making them impossible to handstrip. Sometimes it's possible to continue handstripping for a few months or so, but the lack of hormones eventually changes the coat for ever.

I groom my two at home. They are both show types. The 9 year old is entire and I handstrip him, with a little bit of clipping and scissoring here and there. The 14 year old was neutered when he was 15 months because he had an undescended testicle. I was able to continue handstripping him for several months, then it just became difficult and would have been uncomfortable for him. I tried a coat king and hated the finished look after using it, so used thinning scissors for sometime before eventually clipping. Until recently I always left a bit of feathering and used thinning scissors to soften the look of the areas where the clipped bits and feathering met. But now he's so old and finds grooming sessions quite tiring I just clip him all over apart from his ears. He's a very pale orange roan, lots of white and not a lot of roan, and that's a colour that seems to lend itself well to being clipped without going curly as it grows out.

Offline Dimples

I have always had Robbie groomed professionally until very recently. I gradually got him cut shorter and shorter as he gets so warm in summer and so mucky in winter. He is a b***** for finding the muddiest swamps going!

Recently my groomer hasn't been able to do it so much so I bought a pair of clippers off amazon and attempted myself. However on longest blade of 12mm.  I was surprised how well I managed it actually but I do find legs tricky as his legs are thick curls.

Anyway I do cut him all over on the long blade and his hair still continues to grow back soft and silky.  He is a male with his bits!
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline SJE9

Thank you all for your replies - very helpful :-)

Offline SJE9

“They‘ve now brought a „dull“ version onto the market which guarantees that it doesn‘t cut the hair at all and I use that now (I have a fine 20 tooth ).”

I wonder, BizzyLizzy, whether you could give me a link for that “dull” coat king product, or its name? Sounds just what I want.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
I bought it here in Germany  :-\ - leave it with me, I‘ll get back to you....

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
I‘ve searched on google to try and find a UK distributor for you but haven‘t managed to find anything. I‘ve attached the link to the US website which shows you what it is. The only thing I could suggest, is that you have a look yourself, ( a UK search engine might turn up more than mine here ), and/or contact a UK dealer direct and ask if they stock it. I ordered mine from a German distributor but I‘m sure if they‘re sold here they must be available in GB aswell.
If you can‘t get anywhere, please let me know and I‘ll get in touch with the seller here and ask if they can help or if they post to GB.

https://www.marscoatking.com/products/the-mars-coat-king-blunt?variant=36339734225

Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any more help! Best of luck!

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Most show type cockers have long hair, so even hand stripping the coat won’t necessarily be short. The only way you can get the short look is to clip or scissor, especially the leg feathers and skirt.

I’ve found hand stripping though does create a bond with your dog, beacause of the amount of time and attention it takes.

As others have said, neutering her, will without doubt change her coat, so clipping may become inevitable.

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline SJE9

Hi Bizzy Lizzy - I’ve been trying it get hold of it without success. Amazon.com has it but doesn’t ship to UK. I phoned a major groomers supplier “Christie’s” but they don’t stock it.  Would appreciate the link to the supplier you bought it from. You never know, they may ship to the uk as it is part of Europe (for now anyway!)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
The website is in German and I can‘t see a translation faciility but maybe you can ask over the contact link. See how you get on, if you get no joy, then get back to me and I can maybe email them on your behalf.
I‘ve just had a look at their delivery conditions, they have GB listed, (although charge is €19,99  >:( )

https://www.ehaso.de/de/coat-king-stumpf-p975/?search=1

Best of luck!

Offline PaulJ

If you get stuck I can arrange for one to shipped from US through a friend of a friend.
I am there now but unfortunately coming home on Friday so expedited shipping, which is two days will miss me.

They both owe me a favour so should be easy to sort out if the Germans can’t help.

Offline SJE9

Thank you both
At least I know where I can get one now. I think I might wait and see first, see whether or not I’ll decide to groom her myself or take her to a groomer.

Thank you so much for your help

Offline PaulJ

And due to geography we are close to you. Live in
village near Banbury.