Author Topic: Stripping neutered and previously clipped boy  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Stripping neutered and previously clipped boy
« on: September 30, 2003, 07:44:58 AM »
Hello,
I use to regularly clip my fluffy boy but when the Coat King came along a few months ago, I thought I would be able to have a coat that sat nicely and regained its lovely golden colour. Started out getting heaps of undercoat out even with only an inch or so growth, but now I get only a little bit even though his coat has grown to around 1 1/2 inches. It still won't sit completely flat and is very fluffy around the edges, although it is much better than pre coat king. I am about ready to get the clippers out again and give up, specially with summer fast approaching. Should I persevere??                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 09:23:47 AM »
I admire your patience Toohey :) There is a limit to how much hair you can strip out of a neutered dog with a Coat King I'm afraid - perhaps you could lightly use thinning scissors over the back to even out the finish. It won't be perfect but perhaps would look better than clipping?                    
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 09:52:58 AM »
Thanks Jane, the thing is as soon as I started to use the coat king there was such a huge improvement, and I thought as his coat grew longer it would look even better, but he still has coarse bits that stick straight up in the air, especially around his neck, and if I use thinning scissors I fear it will look patchy (I do have good ones). Funny however that towards his rear end the coat tends to sit almost flat. I will try to get some pics done soon to show you. And it is nice to have a gold dog instead of a sandy coloured one. (I still love him though :-*)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 09:44:18 AM »
I think you'll have to accept that to have got as far as you have with a neutered Cocker is pretty good going ;) The Coat King is still cutting the coat (with a much less obvious effect than clipping does of course) but that's why you're never going to get a completely smooth finish, particularly around the neck. Perhaps a fine stripping knife might work ok around the neck area, as long as you didn't press the knife too hard into the hair.                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 12:01:56 PM »
One of my red girls used to have that problem , i dident use thinnin scissors but i got some fine normal scissors and cut with the direction of growth ....not along  and not across .. with the direction it just tidys up those few stray hairs without that just cut or chunks taken out look, i was aiming to cut just where they stuck up and not any deeper if you see what im saying i found that the hairs started to grow flatter , be super careful your only cutting those hairs and take ages when your doing it :)                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 10:30:03 AM »
I have some photos of his coat for you. Is there any hope?
He was last clipped around 8 months ago and has about 3cm growth on his back.                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 10:35:43 AM »
I should have mentioned that he used to have a show clip so feathering has never been touched. His front legs I have continued to clip.                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 10:39:36 AM »
Makes you want to get at him with the clippers doesn't it? ;)                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 03:30:47 PM »
Blimey, If I'd left Brook(clipped and neutered) for 8 months, he certainly wouldn't look anything like that :o I think you've done brilliantly :)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 11:51:03 AM »
Really? Thanks Gill. I think he looks a bit shabby. Unless he has just been groomed. Still waiting for those side bits to grow out though. The coat king is not really working down his sides towards the feathering.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 05:48:14 PM »
You have done well with him Toohey but I don't think you'll ever be able to get a really smooth finish with a coat like this using a Coat King. I still think lightly using thinning scissors is probably going to be the best you can do - its what I would do anyway ;)                    
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 01:07:26 PM »
I gave up and attacked him with the clippers today. Oh well, it is nearly summer :)                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2003, 01:09:16 PM »
He is actually a lot happier than he looks, ;D and has been tearing around all afternoon with some cardboard packaging in his mouth                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2003, 01:11:08 PM »
oh and his legs are skinny, but not as skinny as they look in the picture. Let me show a better one.                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 01:12:26 PM »
:'( all his lovely golden colour is gone