Author Topic: Weird and wonderful ways of grooming cocker spaniel  (Read 6683 times)

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Weird and wonderful ways of grooming cocker spaniel
« on: October 06, 2003, 08:20:45 AM »
Hi all :),

While learning how to groom, I came across some rather unorthodox technique of grooming cocker spaniel I thought I'd share,

1. Its not so unusual really, when trimming underneath the jaw down to the breast plate its best to tie the spaniel's ears so its out of the way and not to cut the ears.You will also be able to see the out line of the neck better and view at all angles when handstripping or just blending using the thining scissors.

2. This one is for the boys, use a nail grinder which is a DIY ROTARY TOOL!! I was told that nails should be cut as short as possible but careful not to cut the quick!! The rotary tool works as a grinder so the nail is short and rounded. Finish off with normal scisors on the bottom and outline and blend the top (in between the toe bits but don't dig into the toes don't want a chicken feet effect) with thinning scissors. The end results will be a tight, perfectly rounded and compact paw with no harsh line ready for the show ring!!!

3. This one is for the girls, apparently you can use your old tights. After shampoo and conditioner, comb the hair of the spaniel so its flat on the body. Cut holes on the tights and slip it around the spaniel. Blow dry gentley, you will find that the hair will stay flat on the body, no more buffant effect!!! So remember to help save the planet, recycle those tights!! ;D

4. The last one is my favourite by Mary/Jane, I hope you don't mine me saying called the "sheep shearer technique". What you do is turn your spaniel on its back and groom especially around the arm pit and underside of the legs instead of the standard standing up on the table. Do that everyday and wouldn't find a single knot on your spaniel!!!

I hope our lovely members have more strange technique to add to this thread, Please feel free to comment and also share results. Have fun grooming!!!

Alexander ;)                    

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 10:11:51 AM »
no. 1  sounds familiar!!  ;D ;D
 On a grooming course I was told that no. 3 is excellent for curly dogs, unfortunately mine aren't curly so I can't recycle my tights  ;D                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 10:37:15 AM »
I definitely have tried out number 4 since Jane, Mary and Pam posted about it - very effective, even n Daisy who is just soooo ticklish!  :D

I'd love to see a picture of anyone who tries number 3, please  ;D                    

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 10:56:21 AM »
I've seen it used on a male springer (x-large tights)   ;D ;D not much manhood left for him, is there  ;)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 02:33:28 PM »
I've got a high tech version of no 3 - a "dry dog coat" which is made of a stretchy mesh material & works like a pair of tights but fits better ;) I'll be using it on Wednesday on Ruby so will post a pic then - she'll probably die of shame though ;D                    
Jane

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 03:43:26 PM »
I've better come creeping out of the closet then as well.  ::) I have a dog coat as well for Indy, cause I always wash her the day before a show and her coat isn't always behaving the way I want it. It works fine, but hubby refuse to let her wear it on pics. He wants her to remain his very cool hunting dog  ;D.

Looking forward to the pic Jane  ;D                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 09:26:02 AM »
Thanks Alexander for posting those interesting tips  ::)  I am looking forward to Jane's photo of Rhona with her "coat" on ::)  Must confess I have a sort of towelling bath robe for mine which ties on but they seem to be able to undo it so it is not ideal!  Might try the tights (have loads that I don't wear nowadays) :D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 10:56:05 AM »
Thanks Linda :D, I'm glad you like the grooming tips. To be honest, I'm still not very good at grooming at all, very untidy and most of time do not know what I'm doing. I won't be trying the tights method ;D but a Hitech mesh maybe thats different!! Linda is Jane's Ruby that is the volunteer not Rhona, a lot of us are eagerly awaiting for the results!!!

If you're using the tights method, please let us know if its any good ???!!! Post some pics maybe?? :P

Alexander :)                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 06:06:32 PM »
lol Xander
I don't use tights on Millie - but I have an old fleece jumper which I have trimmed down and redesigned to fight Millie - she looks a bit like Friar Tuck in it cos I have to tie a rope around her waist!

It works though - I just rub her down and give her a semi blow dry - then stick her friar tuck coat on and leave her for 40 mins to sit by the radiator  in her basket - silky smooth !!  ;D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 06:29:51 PM »
Hey Kelly ;D,

Don't forget to post some pic of Millie in Friar Tuck costume!!! ;D                    

Offline NinaW

• Site Member
    • http://home.online.no/~nwaldela/
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 09:23:18 PM »
Hi, I am finally back online ;D

First a question for Jane, the dry dog coat you use, is that the same type that was advertised in Dog World ?(a long time ago) the photo was of an English Setter.

And yes I use old (and new) tights, mostly on the dogs when they are puppies/young and have lots of fluffy hair.  But I also use it on our Welshie, because she have very thick and wavy coat on her back.  Sorry can't show you a photo, since the welshie hopefully is getting bigger and bigger, and soon we have lots of little welshies running around ;D

Nina                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 11:10:29 PM »
First a question for Jane, the dry dog coat you use, is that the same type that was advertised in Dog World ?(a long time ago) the photo was of an English Setter.

I think so Nina - you can see them at http://www.drydogcoats.co.uk/ I've only just bought one so Ruby is being my guinea pig tomorrow ;)                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2003, 12:04:25 AM »
ooo let us know how you get on:D i saw on another site that some people tie ribbons/scrunchys down the ears and they go smooth but wavy? does it work??
haha sani pants on that website. i get those swimming nappies and cut a hole for the tail:) it works perfect and she looks proper groovy with the funky colours ::) ;D                    

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2003, 08:56:33 AM »
Yipee!!!! ;D Dry dog coat, I've placed my order now will start my experiments on Ollie!!! ;D Hmmm.. wonder how the sani pants works? Think I'll get that when Rainbow is a bit older ;)                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2003, 09:16:26 AM »
Those sani-pants look absolutely hilarious  ;D With Daisy and Jazz currently in season together, things are proving a bit too messy at home  :-X I'll definitely give the sani-pants a try, but they'd arrive too late this time so they'll have to do for next  ;)