Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Where do I start?
« on: October 08, 2003, 02:03:49 PM »
After reading that so many of you groom your own dogs, I really want to have a go. I currently run a brush over Bill once or twice a week and cut any knots out that won't come out with a comb with the nail scissors, and he goes to the groomers once every 8 weeks to have a proper trim.

He has been "done" so his coat is of the sheep variety, can anybody give me some advice as to what brushes I should be using (what is a coat king, keep hearing mention ) any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

M                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 12:02:56 AM »
ermm mabe someone else can tell you were to start but  i like to start at the feet and legs first and work my way up .
Mabe we should do a body parts week of grooming
where we all do a part of the body in a day:P with instruction from someone who knows what there doing  ;D then we will all get it right  :-                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Where do I start?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 02:51:46 PM »
found a site you might like to read up on ...... paste this into your web addresss bar
 http://www.turmalin.freeserve.co.uk/Before...You%20Start.htm :D                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Where do I start?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 03:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the web page,

I have had a go at handstripping his head before and he looked at me as if I had beaten him and would'nt sit on my knee again for about 10 minutes and 3 jaffa cakes ;D I think I must be a bit heavy handed I will try with the marigolds next time.

Thanks again

M                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Where do I start?
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 05:18:50 PM »
I would recommend you get hold of Jackie Marris-Bray's Cocker grooming video available from AMP Productions for about £20. Tel 01379 852670 or email hurstm.ampprod@supanet.com .  Also read all the past threads on this board - it will take a while but there's lots of advice here on grooming & trimming. Grooming isn't something that can really be taught on a message board  or website though you can pick up tips & hints which will help you get started. You can get basic grooming equipment from online stores like http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/index.html. Most people start with a slicker brush, wide toothed comb, fine toothed comb (Spratts no 76), thinning scissors (one blade serrated with 46 teeth), straight edged scissors and possibly a Coat King (coat stripping tool). However if your dog's coat has been regularly clipped with electric clippers, you will find it a lot harder to trim his coat without using clippers - not impossible but definitely a lot harder!                    
Jane

Offline Julie Marie

• Site Member
Where do I start?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 07:45:01 PM »
hi why is his coat of the sheep variety cos he has been done?  ???                    
Jools

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Where do I start?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 09:28:19 AM »
hi why is his coat of the sheep variety cos he has been done?  ???

Daisy

It is because he has been neutuered and then clippered. Neutering usually causes a cocker's coat to become very wooly and clipping encourages it to curl even more so. That's why you hear us refer to the sheep look.

If you have a cocker neutered but don't clip, use a coat king or thinning scissors or just clip long, then you can maintain a good look in many cases. Some just become too thick though and have little choice, but even then, it's the clipping very close that gives the curl. So clipping longer means you can still have a neutered and clippered cocker that looks like a cocker, not a sheep ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Where do I start?
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 10:46:59 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, I am going to add some of the items to my christmas list for hubby (better than underwear 2 sizes to small).

Can anyone tell me what size/blade of coat king they would recommend, when I did an internet search in came up with dozens of choices?

Thanks again

M