Author Topic: grooming equipment  (Read 1909 times)

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
grooming equipment
« on: October 20, 2003, 10:39:11 PM »
:o :o :o :o

I've been really bad - saw a friend's cocker  ::) after having a trim, and thought i can do better then that, i already strip ebbie with a coat king and finn's coat is just beginning to come out - his back is lovely and smooth now but i just can't get the legs right - so i thought to myself - before finn needs doing i'll get myself the video - erm.................don't tell me other half but.......................erm didn't just end up with the video lol lol lol - i had a field day - there was just too many things i thought - oh yeah that'll be handy.  Never mind - i'm sure i'll end up with lovely looking dogs from it all.

Still other half needs convincing  ;D

Nikki xx                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
grooming equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 10:46:28 PM »
LOL Nikki - let me guess... now you need a toolbox to keep your grooming kit in??  ;D  ;D  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
grooming equipment
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 10:58:50 PM »
lol yeah probably - it's not all arrived yet - what i had already was in a tesco's bag hanging in my cupboard - gonna have to find something to put it all in lol

Nikki xx                    

Sue H

grooming equipment
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 08:16:34 PM »
Bramble has got a really flat coat, apart from which he looks like a Brahma chicken as he has got such feathery legs (and knickers). We had him castrated 4/5 weeks ago, so wonder whether his coat will get thicker, but he is as sleek as a seal at 14 months.  Barley looked like an Afghan hound at 6 months and needs clipping regularly, but all we have used on Bramble has been the thinning scissors, the good old Spratts, the Slicker and the normal wide-tooth comb, plus occasionally the whatsit that cuts through tats.  Is this an indication of more sort of working spaniel strain in that he is so sleek?  Will his knickers eventually drag on the floor if I don't do something about them?  Should I take photos???                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
grooming equipment
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 09:14:32 PM »
Hi Sue,

cockers are supposeded to have silky sleek fur - so I'd say that Bramble was quite normal  :)
Currently Millie has incredibly feathery front legs and chest and the feathering on her back legs is still quite sparse, so when she gets wet she has these skinny little back legs and big afro front legs - she looks hilarious  :lol:
As for his "knickers" dragging on the floor - I suppose if they're not cut they'll grow longer, just like our hair. With Millie's my breeder showed me how to trim off excess fur - for showing cockers the fur shouldn't actually touch the ground, so some trimming of feathers is allowed. Obviously you're not going to show Bramble, you just want a nice tidy easy t manage cocker though, so I should think trimming his feathers a bit shouldn't be a problem. I think theres a "sticky" post further up in this section of the forum on doing feet and legs.. :?:

However I should think that since you've recently had Branble "done" that his coat will probably thicken up - unfrotunately thats what happens generally to cockers that are neutered, or clipped.

HTH

:wink:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
grooming equipment
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 11:19:30 PM »
You won't see any coat changes straight away in Bramble - even 5 weeks after the op, there will still be male hormones circulating in his system. I'd say if his coat does change (& mostly they do) it will be more like a few months after the surgery, sometimes even longer for the fine, silky coats.                    
Jane