Author Topic: HOW DO I??????  (Read 1342 times)

Offline cufers

• Site Member
HOW DO I??????
« on: January 04, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »
I have recently taken on a 6 year old male Cocker who is very, very woolly indeed.  He is neutered and has been clipped in the past.  Is there any way of making his coat return to a more 'normal' appearance???

I have read the grooming Q & A s in other forums but wonder if there is anything in particular that I should be doing???

Many Thanks.

p.s.  I found him via cockersonline in the rescue forum.  It must be a record as the time from posting my 'request' for him to collecting him was less that 24hrs!!!!!!!                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
HOW DO I??????
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 06:25:21 PM »
Two of my cockers are neutered and need clipping. My eldest one had his feathering clipped off every time as a youngster and as a result, it hasn't grown back. He is a golden and gets v v woolly so if this is what Diggers coat is like, I would say there's no going back :(  My orange roan gets clipped but I have retained his feathering so he still looks like a spaniel. I did try and maintain his coat myself with a coat king but it didn't really do any good so I had to have him clipped again.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
HOW DO I??????
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 11:15:16 PM »
I agree with Gill - I don't think there is any going back with a neutered Cocker, specially a solid black. It's kinder for the dog if you just have him neatly clipped every 6-8 weeks. If you find a good groomer, it should still be possible to have him clipped so he looks like a Cocker (with some feathering) rather than a shorn sheep :wink: In between clips, you can brush & comb him regularly so there are no matts etc - often neutered Cockers get the "sheep shearing" approach from a groomer because their coats are too matted up to do anything else sadly.                    
Jane

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
HOW DO I??????
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 07:40:10 PM »
Alfie is a neutered and a solid black he is clipped off completly feathers and all as he hates being groomed. When his is ready for clipping some people mistake him for a cross cocker poodle as he is so fluffy and curly. Have tried to let it grow, but he just looks fatter and curlier.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang