Author Topic: whiskers  (Read 2074 times)

lynseyloo

whiskers
« on: January 10, 2004, 11:22:32 PM »
now I have mentioned to Jane in the past about jessie growing whiskers and going grey early ;)   but these whiskers are developing into wing like shapes..and I daren't trim them, cos 'someone' reckons they miht hurt her...somethin about nerve endings...now anyone that knows me and Jessie would understand I would NEVER hurt her, so please tell me how I can settle this wild jungle of a face down, so I dont have a cocker that looks 10 instead of 1  :wink:   would thinnin scissors hurt her on there??  sory to sound dumb but shes never had whiskers to trim before..  :?                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
whiskers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 12:23:35 AM »

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
whiskers
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 10:13:20 AM »
Lynsey - you may recall we had a similar thread before on do you or don't you trim your dogs' whiskers. I am a snipper :D  It does not hurt them. They are not used in the same way as cat's whiskers and so if you don't like them, cut them off - Jessie will be fine. Jasp and Bud have always had their's snipped - I prefer the smooth look :D

You need to be confident snipping tho and Jessie needs to keep still or you could catch her lips or face - and oddly, they don't like that :D You can either generally snip flat to the face or do each individually.. I do a bit of both doing the thicker ones individually with the pooints to try and get them very short so you can't see them.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
whiskers
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 11:51:33 AM »
Can I just clarify if we are talking about the actual whiskers or the thick hair that can grow on a Cockers's face & stick out like a big, bushy moustache?? If we're talking whiskers, then I would snip them off carefully with normal straight-edged scissors. If we're talking hairy facial furnishings, then I would use thinning scissors on a pet Cocker (or clippers on neutered dogs) to thin out all that excess hair.                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
whiskers
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 12:53:30 PM »
I cut Buttys whiskers off with normal staright scissors as Jane said.
She is partial to growing some facial hair tho  :wink:  usually around the edge of her mouth/jowl area and under her chin and Jane showed me how to thin this with the thinners so I have been doing this ever since. I must admit I didn't always trim her whiskers off, but since I started doing it I much prefer the look of her face it's just much smoother and sleeker looking   :)                    

lynseyloo

whiskers
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 09:04:49 PM »
Can I just clarify if we are talking about the actual whiskers or the thick hair that can grow on a Cockers's face & stick out like a big, bushy moustache?? If we're talking whiskers, then I would snip them off carefully with normal straight-edged scissors. If we're talking hairy facial furnishings, then I would use thinning scissors on a pet Cocker (or clippers on neutered dogs) to thin out all that excess hair.

myu mistake...jessies can definately be descibed as face furniture..lol Jane you have a way with words..lol..  as long as there is no way it'll hurt her I will trim them of... hubby permitting...took all my effort to get rid of the top knot cos he was in love with it.. :roll:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
whiskers
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 12:11:32 AM »

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
whiskers
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 09:36:15 PM »
Luvlylady,
If you can, I would try & pull the hair if possible, as the effect will last longer.
If not then use thinning scissors . . . . Jane ?                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
whiskers
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 09:57:13 PM »
If these are the type of whiskers I think you mean - Buddy and Jasper have them but they are very noticeable on Buddy with him being light.

I use the thinners as it's too tender to pull, but I start underneath working my way to the top gradually. Then you get a smooth look. So ig you are looking the dog face on your thinner start away from you and gradually get closer. - Does that make sense?                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional