Author Topic: help with head and ears  (Read 1172 times)

Offline shaz

• Site Member
help with head and ears
« on: June 06, 2004, 05:17:34 PM »
help please,

i was at a show today and a man i was talking to, told me i need to take more off of flo's head and top of ears, i have posted a pic in the pariticolours if any one wishes to comment, but i am worried now as she has her first champ show in a few weeks,  and i want her to look at her best,   please help.                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
help with head and ears
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 08:23:16 PM »
Hi Shaz,

I'm sure Michele or Jane will be able to help you  :wink:  It's very difficult to tell from the picture with her head and ears being black.
I always thought I'd taken enough off Butty's head until Jane got hold of her...and she pulled it off in clumps  :shock:  :lol:
I try and push the fur on the head forward and pluck all the fluff from underneath which I am sure you are doing  :)  Ears have always been a problem with me and the main reason was I just wasn't going short enough or going far enough down the ear  :roll: If you can get yourself to a grooming demo held by a breed club it's well worth it  :)  I really benefitted from the hands-on experience of actually watching someone rather than looking at pictures in books  :) I think if you can push the hair forward on the head and it stands up by itself then there is too much hair on the head but others my have a different method to this  :)

Well done on your wins today  :D  :D
I've uploaded a picture of Butty's ear....bearing in mind that I'm learning to  :wink:  if you have any tips on doing the chest please let me know  :wink:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/Parti...urs/Picture_020                    

Offline shaz

• Site Member
help with head and ears
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 05:00:52 PM »
just had a go at taking more off of flos head and ears, had 2 small sessions as it is a very sensative area, but need to do more, i must admit it is starting to look better, must stop fingers hurting now.
as for the chest area i just use the thinners on her becuase she is white i have to be very carefull as i can expose her pink skin underneath,                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline Michele

• Site Member
help with head and ears
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 05:12:54 PM »
Here is the link to the photo of using the thinning scissors on the ears

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/Misc/Thinners_Ear

if you then click the previous button it shows using the thinners on the head (not suitable for this post I know but others who read it may want to have a look.)

I do as Gilly suggested and lift the hair forward and then between finger and thumb strip out the longer hairs.  :D