Author Topic: Why does his fur feel coarse???  (Read 1242 times)

Offline muckypups

• Lifes easy when your a Dog
Why does his fur feel coarse???
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
Buddy has lovely long soft hair on his head, legs and belly. Beautiful and soft and strokeable,  :luv: but his back is a mix of hair and fluff and doesnt feel as soft, it feels quite coarse. Its like he has two layers of fur iyswim. The fluffy stuff on the outside is very blonde and he has a deep red underneath.

I dont want to clip him as the rest of his hair is beautifull and soft, i would just like the fur on his back to be the same. Is this ouer layer of fluff his baby hair and does it come out naturally.

Im going to try and get him in groomers next week for a bath so will ask fivescompany too but just seeking some knowledge before hand.  ph34r

AKA Buddy

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Re: Why does his fur feel coarse???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »
Hello! I am in no way an expert but having a 7 month old puppy whose hair I am just beginning to get on top of I thought I'd reply to your post! Murphy's hair is a little like that atm but the more puppy coat that is coming out the softer he is getting. Also really regular brushing helps him. I use a mit with pimples which ruffles the coat and gets the grease and oils and any dandruff to the surface which you can then brush out. I use a slicker brush to pick up anything and finish with a brush with soft bristles and brush fairly firmly in the same direction as the hair, this brings up a lovely shine and will also help to get the coat soft.

Also as I have said on another post I have used a coat king to get a lot of the puppy fluff out. But I was recommended it by the breeder and she told me which one the buy. So I'd ask someone who can reccommend the right size teeth because I know some people on here have said they can cut the hair but so far with Murphy I've found it has only raked the loose puppy hair out.

Hope this helps a little...?!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:54:02 AM »
The lighter colour fluffy hair is his puppy coat, the coarser, richer colour you see underneath is his adult coat and that is the colour he will be when his puppy coat is out.  To aid in getting rid of the puppy coat, you can run a comb with an elastic band woven in and out of the teeth through his coat, this grabs the old hair and gently removes it, my red girl is 3 1/2 and her back is a lovely rich red colur but her head, legs, ears and underneath are still soft and golden, she still gets the softer lighter fluffy bits on her back as her coat grows out, but they strip out easily with the comb/rubber band.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
The lighter colour fluffy hair is his puppy coat, the coarser, richer colour you see underneath is his adult coat and that is the colour he will be when his puppy coat is out.  To aid in getting rid of the puppy coat, you can run a comb with an elastic band woven in and out of the teeth through his coat, this grabs the old hair and gently removes it, my red girl is 3 1/2 and her back is a lovely rich red colur but her head, legs, ears and underneath are still soft and golden, she still gets the softer lighter fluffy bits on her back as her coat grows out, but they strip out easily with the comb/rubber band.  ;)

I agree.  ;) The comb with elastic band is one of the techniques I use on Tally and it works really well. I think it's a spratts 76 comb that I use, but don't hold me to that.  :shades:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »
I hope it's alright to post these here, but thought I would post a few pics of Buddy that I took last time he was in the Salon as this thread has reminded me I had them.  ;)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »
Aaawww... gorgeous Buddy.  :luv:  I do love the goldens.  :luv: :luv:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline muckypups

• Lifes easy when your a Dog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
Ah bless him. I love the before and after pics.  :luv:

AKA Buddy

Offline Traceysjasper

• My fluffy bear!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 08:02:48 AM »
God buddy looks just like my Jasper, it's frightening!!! How old is Buddy now? Jaspers just 8 months and seems still a lot more fluffy x
Now I like his feet - what I mean is Jaspers looked like that but much bigger, when I took him to the goomers she has vut them so much back, looking at the front of them you can see that the fur is over an inch thick. Now he looks like he is walking with shoes on if you know what I mean as she has cut upwards, not like Buddy's that flatten out. Is there a particular way to cutting around there feet?

I will attach a pic of him when I find my phone cable!!!
Before!
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/traceysjasper/Image045.jpg

After!
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/traceysjasper/Image150.jpg

Offline Traceysjasper

• My fluffy bear!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 01:20:11 PM »
Do you see what I mean about his front feet lol!!!

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
Jasper is gorgeous,  :luv: his feet are cut correctly from what I can see in the photo, when they are done they should look like a bit catlike.  I really need another golden to balance my 3 up.  :005:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Traceysjasper

• My fluffy bear!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
I must be honest he is wonderful! He loves me so much I think my hubby gets jealous. He has such a brilliant temperament, friendly with everyone and loves all other dogs, maybe a bit too much sometimes! He is definitely in a teenage rebellion though!!!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
The feet look fine to me to.  ;) I might just add that I didn't trim Buddys feet as she wanted them left. I just did the pads. It was only a puppy Induction, So what you see with his feet is just left natural.  ;)