Author Topic: Why no clip then strip?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Snoopy

Why no clip then strip?
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:44:15 AM »
I have seen many times that once you have clipped a cocker coat you can't then change your mind and go Back to the stripping option.

Anyone know why?  :huh:

Or am I just being dim and missing something obvious?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Why no clip then strip?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »

Clipping changes the texture of the fur, which means it can become impossible to strip them.  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Snoopy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
Do you mean it gets coarser or thicker something like that?

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »
I have seen many times that once you have clipped a cocker coat you can't then change your mind and go Back to the stripping option.

Not sure if this is strictly true? Didn't Bajoleth have to clip her cockers after a paint accident and is now back to hand stripping them  :huh:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
Hand stripping involves removing the 'dead' hair. Continual clipping leaves the dead and new hair the same length making stripping difficult. If that makes any sense?
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

Anyone know why?  :huh:

Or am I just being dim and missing something obvious?

nothings impossible but texture & density of coat my have some bearing, as well as dog being entire or not (neutering/spaying can alter coats greatly) & how long the coat has been clipped - one of ours, Purdey was clipped a couple of times when she was younger until we found a groomer who hand strips - she managed to successfully return Purdeys coat to it's pre clipped conditions but her coat is quite silky & soft. However after spaying it fluffed up far to much & we went back to the semi clipped look.

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:23:53 AM »

Not sure if this is strictly true? Didn't Bajoleth have to clip her cockers after a paint accident and is now back to hand stripping them  :huh:
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I only check in now and again. Jeff and Annie is right, as Belle was going to be shown, she had a few outings, she was handstripped, Monty was clipped about 3 or 4 times not a short clip but he was clipped before the accident. Since the accident, I have continued to strip and use a Mars on both of them, Monty has not been clipped since and his coat is lovely, Belles has shown no change and still has a lovely coat. I think as a rule if a dog has been clipped regulary for a long spoace of time then stripping would be nigh on impossible, but if its only been clipped once or just a few times then it doesn't rule handstipping out. Thats my experience anyway ;)
I know its different for every dog as they all have different textured coats, I can't believe the difference in coat in my 2
Jo, Belle and Monty