Author Topic: Won't sit still  (Read 1813 times)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
Won't sit still
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
Hey guys
I got diesels grooming tools and grooming table
I have managed to do 1 paw (took me half hour) because diesel wouldn't sit still
I have no idea how to make him comfortable or calm on it he just keeps pulling away from me and trying to hug me :-(
He now has 4 long hairy paws and 1 short lovely one :-(
How can I make this a nice calm experience for him?
When he went to groomers they said he was excellent  :huh:
I have fed him loads of training treats just to get the paw done - one after the snips and lots of praise
Any advice??
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline luckypenny

Re: Won't sit still
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
He now has 4 long hairy paws and 1 short lovely one :-(

Does he have five paws?? :005: :005:

Only kidding - Penny was w wriggler (it was like wrestling with bagpipes, her tucked under my arm, me just grooming which ever bit came near), but was a lot better when I started getting her to lie on her side. Now she quite often falls asleep and I can work my way up from her back leg forward......until 1/2 way down front leg when eyes spring open again!
However, I'm not as brave as you and haven't attempted any snipping, just brushing. Little and often, and lots of treats sounds like a good plan - good luck....at least you'll be able to start nice and early with Riley :luv: 

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »
Toby did just the same when he first went on the table.  Build the time up a little each day.  Start with a few minutes just brushing him then increase every day.  Make sure you give him loads of treats while he is up there and praise him like mad.  Toby gets all excited now when I say "brush brush" and although he doesn't love being on the table, he tolerates it and is standing still almost perfectly now.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
Have you tried using primula cheese, it seems easier than constantly stopping to get hold of treats, it's even easier if somebody holds the tube for you, Charlie would be a yeti if somebody hadn't given me this hint  :005:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »
Charlene, I'd take it slowly. Put him on the table and make a fuss of him, stroke his ears or whatever he likes and feed him treats. You could maybe just brush him gently as well but that's all. Do it a few times so it's all a good experience for him. Don't rush to do everything at once. When he's happy to go onto the table and sit to be brushed and combed and maybe have his ears cleaned, you could   try the scissors, just snipping them round his feet but not actually cutting anything, all the time making a fuss of him. Eventually, he'll realise he's onto a good thing!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Flickabella1

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:00:55 PM »
Ahhhh at least he gives you hugs! Beau just tries to bite me or the brush!  >:D

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »
Lol yeah he is a sook - just put him back on the table with some cheese - was touching his paws all I've - no issues - then snipped but didn't cut anything - no issues - I think the treats weren't up to standard haha
Will keep doing it a little at a time with rubs and snip sounds and cheese :-)
I will defo be getting the pup used to it from day one with brushing and drying and snip sounds :-) I'll give diesel a rinse and dry him on it later as he loves the hairdryer haha
My name is Diesel

Offline seaangler

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »
c19unn Would you sit still when you first whent to the hair dressers....NO.. and nither will your pup its another bit of training you will have to do with Diesel to make him sit still..(like jonney dog has said make a fuss ect)..Are peggy is as good as gold for keeping still while being clipped. it all takes time... :D

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
Ahhhh at least he gives you hugs! Beau just tries to bite me or the brush!  >:D

Ha ha sounds sooooo familiar  :005: :005:

18 months old and have tried every trick I've been advised but NOTHING gets any easier  ph34r ph34r

I've given in and have her brushed once a week at the groomers and get in the odd stroke or 2 in between  :embarrassed:

Grooming is definitely going to be a priority with the next pup  :005: :005: :005:

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
Have you tried using primula cheese, it seems easier than constantly stopping to get hold of treats, it's even easier if somebody holds the tube for you, Charlie would be a yeti if somebody hadn't given me this hint  :005:

I was going to say this................just one paw each day; when you first start.  Good luck, it will come.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
Did I see someone had smeared
cheese on a wall tile or something
similar so the doggie was stood
lick-licking at the tile while they
got their fur cut :huh:
(or have I imagined it?)
steffxxx

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 03:41:58 PM »
Ooooh thats a good idea  :005:

I put him back on the table last night after his walk and when he was starting to relax, Gave him his hairdryer time - he loves that and acts like he is in some kind on advert with his head in the air and flicking his ears about  :005:

I gave him a brush and he stared relaxing - He sat nicely the whole time so i think i have to make sure i do it when he is in a relaxed and chilled mood :)
My name is Diesel

Offline Nicky

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »
I'm sure he will get used to it. In the mean time you could get someone to feed him primular while you groom :)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 09:21:54 AM »
Invest in a H bar if it didn't come with the table.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline ksdwgroup

• Alfie Born 20th July 2011
    • Kent Spaniel Dog Walking Group
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
Hi everyone!

So glad I found this forum  :blink:  I think I will slowly start to get Alfie used to grooming him myself... all the advice has been so helpful... and funny :blink: especially smearing cheese! A brilliant idea but probably wouldn't last long enough. The worst part about grooming is that it takes so long. I was going to resort to taking him to a groomers but it's so expensive, shall definitely start to get him used to it is as he's getting very shaggy!  Having read all your replies I'm so glad everyone has the same problem as I've looked at a few videos on YouTube and all the dogs are so calm and relaxed while they are being groomed I'm sure they've been sedated!  Now that would be an absolutely terrible thing to do and I would not even consider it (okay it has crossed my mind  >:D >:D but obviously I would never resort to it!) :blink:

Debbie  :blink:
Debbie Carpenter
Kent Spaniel Dog Walking Group
http://www.meetup.com/dog-walking-groups-spaniels