Author Topic: Wondering what to do with Flos coat  (Read 805 times)

Offline Clare B

Wondering what to do with Flos coat
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
Flo is due for a trim, I do alittle at home, but the groomers here I have access to only shave and trim.... No stripping which is what I have always wanted for her coat.  Anyhow considering were going from our winter here to move to your winter in the uk I don't want her shaved or she will freeze in the UK! I think I'll just get a tidy up of the coat and take her to a good groomer when in the uk, which will probably be late October. Do you let your cockers coat grow all through your winter?

Offline karen488

Re: Wondering what to do with Flos coat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Not an expert, but wouldn't worry about the cold. A cockers feathering isn't gong to keep it warm. I'd have it short if that's how you prefer it and buy an equafleece if I was worried  ;)

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »
I know that you have so much on your plate at the minute Clare  :bigarmhug: but have you thought about using the spaniel comb and/or groom king that others use to get a hand stripped look? Along with some thinning scissors you might be able to get the look you are after yourself.

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »
Holly is usually quite short over winter, stops her getting wet & mucky plus she dries off quicker than when she has a long coat  :blink:

Offline Clare B

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:08:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies, interesting that they are still warm enough  in winter with a short coat and fleese, I'm probably worrying too much  :005: much as I've seen many posts on here with peeps worrying about the hot weather and long coats for the doggies...... except the opposite.  I do like the longer coat and might give the coat king a go, I have thinning scissors, slickers, combs etc and have to give Flo a good comb every couple of days or she gets really bad matting.  Have also looked again through the grooming threads on here for some grooming tips.