Author Topic: What to do with Fluffy puppy legs!!!  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Ali101

• Isla
What to do with Fluffy puppy legs!!!
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
My 6 month old chocolate roan girl Isla, (working cocker) has some of the fluffiest back legs I have ever seen, in fact she looks part orangutan as it is nearly the same shade of  orange that you see on them... :005:
I adore her little "leg warmers"  :luv: but I just wondered if I should be doing something with them, such as using a coat king to thin them out? Having only had labradors before, I have never had to do too much on the grooming side, but am willing to learn. I have read a couple of threads about grooming, but hadn't found one where anyone mentioned that the texture of the coat varies with the colour of the hair.
Apart from her back legs the rest of her coat is fine, with feathering starting on backs of front legs, but this is a deep shade of chocolate and the texture is fine but not fluffy. Isla is such a good girl and will stand and let me groom her, so long as I give her a treat when we're done. Can anyone offer a bit of advice?
Thanks if you can,
Ali, Penny and Isla xxx

Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
Re: What to do with Fluffy puppy legs!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
Would welcome this advice too as Skye (working liver roan too!) has legs that  look like they belong to one of the mamouths out of Ice Age.......... Her back as a lovely smooth rich mahogny liver but the legs oh lordy ... :005:
Her sister Connie is lemon roan and has white wispy bits on her legs but they don't show up so much!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: welcome to my world!

sorry but I've had 7 years so far of ginger fluff on my liver dog.  He hates with a passion being stripped on his legs so I have resorted to using thinning scissor to thin it down the bulk of the feathering.   The Coat king can be quite rough on their legs and as there is sinew and tendons to avoid I would use other options.  I do use a stripping knife at the front of his legs and then the scissors on the feathering.

Just to thrill you further - if your dog comes from a fluffy line it starts at the legs and then over the years the back goes ginger and fluffy too  :lol2: :005: ph34r

Some livers retain a nice sleek coat but some become ginger fuzz balls   ph34r

helen & jarvis x

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
Charlie is a show cocker but he has fluffy legs too...his legs are white but half way down it changes to black so looks like he is wearing ugg boots  :005: I haven't managed to tame it yet.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
Oh well we'll just carry on loving those ginger legs then... :005:
I just feel for my little girl when we are out on walks and EVERYONE remarks on her fluffy legs, bless her. :luv:
I am glad I asked as I was about to order a coat king just for this, but will go down the thinning scissor route instead.
It doesn't help that she is such a gangly girl at the moment, my mum says she looks like a teenage girl walking in high heeled shoes with leg warmers on... :005: :005: And its true, she does!!!
Thank you for the advice.
Ali and the girls xxx
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »
my mum says she looks like a teenage girl walking in high heeled shoes with leg warmers on... :005: :005:

must. have. photos  :luv: :luv: :luv:

seriously though, some people have real success with coat kings.  Have you tried a steel comb with a rubber band wound through it?  That does get a lot of fluff out  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
The Cocker Spaniel Club site have a little leaflet that explains stripping and how to do it etc

Offline black taz

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
5 years on and i am still struggling with Taz's fluffy legs

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
Excellent......... :D............  at the moment we have a sleak shiney head, neck, back, tail all the way down to the elbows and then its like you've stuck some one else's legs on her ........... her dad Argyll Warrior wasn't that fluffy when we met him on Bliss' "blind date" ;) But looking at his picture on Will Clulee's website he has got rather hair elbows?! First liver I've ever had so will keep hoping that the daily brushing will eventually get rid of the baby fluff.    There is a smattering of Maesydderwen blood in the girls pedigree so think we are on a hiding to nothing re coats but it was the working potential that made us go down that pedigree route.  Having got a 100% Maesydderwen black bitch have got used to hairy hounds but this fluff could be the death of me.  At least Breeze is manageable with the clippers and doesn't look like she's had a perm once she gets wet! If Skye stands still enough at the weekend I'll get photographic evidence.   Could always use hair gel and give each leg abit of a parting...........  :shades: 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:27:16 AM »
I can't help myself - even though a lot of their coats are hell, I do love a liver fuzz butt  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
Am sure she will either grow out of it or into it............ our trainer has told us already at 6 months that if I don't trial he is going to shoot me, perhaps the fluff will be a distraction for the Judges  :shades:

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
I will post some photos when I am on my laptop as not sure how to do it on my phone.
 :huh:
Sounds like those gorgeous little fluffy-duffers might be here to stay!!
Need to read up as much as possible about grooming, I have the chance to be showm how to handstrip from a man who is a professional groomer so I will have to sort it out, haven't done it earlier as he lives quite a long way.from me, but I think it would be worth it.
Mind you, the fluff does seem to enhance her cuteness..... :luv:
Everyone who meets her wants to take her home, she is just so full of fun and so sweet. After having only had labs before (my mum and dad have had working cockers for years so I had an idea what I was getting but hers have been blue roan and never very fluffy    ;) ) it has been great to see Isla at "work" and has brought my lab round no end as they dive in and out together. Just the grooming to get sorted....and SO glad we are not the only fluffmeisters out there!! :005:
Thank you very much for replies,
Ali, Penny and Isla xxx
Ps Helen, my mum always used the comb and elastic band, will have a go with that, why do you never listen to mum's eh??
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
Not all Blue Roans have smooth legs, our darling Teddy who preceeded George had the most wonderful trousers that were part of his character.

I think our current little pest William is going to out do him tho'  he is like a little orange Yeti :005:

If he retains his 'trousers' all the better.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »
Jem has orang utan legs too  :005:.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »
another orang u tang owner here  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----