Cocker Specific Discussion > Feeding

barf for puppies

(1/2) > >>

Lindaphills:
Does anyone on this forum feed barf, raw natural feeding to their cocker puppy?  Just curious to know as the more I read about barf, the more I like the sound of it for my pup Jess.  For her last meal today, I gave her 3 chicken wings and she absolutely loved them.  She sat there chewing them up and crunching away like a goodun :lol:  She had no problems eating them and started crying when she'd finished them :(

I have been reading lots of books including Billinghurst, Pitcairn, and Schultze and am most impressed with what I read.  I'm going to give it a go full time so if anybody else is feeding their cocker puppy barf or raw, natural, would like to hear from you.
Linda and Jess                    

PennyB:
I don't feed barf but here's a web address if you don't already know:

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk

I think barf takes a lot of organising as much as anything else. A friend who has Welsh terriers is just about to embark on it and has had to buy a separate freezer in order to go about it.

There's also an e-group that is all about canine health and there's a lot of barf in that one as well:

http://www.egroups.com/group/k9health                    

tracey:
Hi Linda, I have fed a couple of my dogs on a natural diet, I say natural as I used a mixture of methods and diets. I found it very easy once I had organised myself! I also found it very cheap as I have a butcher who gives me chicken carcasses for free :lol: I origanally fed it to 1 dog who had collitis, I saw an improvement immediately :shock:  The only thing I had a little trouble with was weight gain as I was feeding a greedy cocker who put too much weight on. But you soon learn to adjust accordingly.
If you fancy having a go try it out and see how you get on :) I have had really good results including shiny coats, clean teeth and one dog became less hyperactve!
Icidently a friend of mine reared a litter of puppies on BARF.
Tracey :D                    

Lindaphills:
Hi, Tracey,
The results coming out the other end are amazing :shock:  :shock:  Jess has had trouble with commercial diets as you might have read, I think it maybe the grain in them.  Thanks for your reply.  I have bought a juicer and all the supplements like brewers yeast, kelp, etc and always have stuff like cottage cheese, yoghurt, lots of veg and fruit in for the kids anyway :D   I have a good butcher so not worried about the supply especially as the chick wings from Asda and Tesco are really cheap.  The only thing I'm a bit vague on is the amounts to feed for puppies. :?   There is loads of literature on it and I've been reading about it like mad.
I do worry a bit about getting the balance right but I suppose you have to really learn to look at your pup and use your own judgement :D
Do you still feed raw/natural and if not, why did you change?
Thanks
Linda                    

tracey:

--- Quote ---Hi, Tracey,
The results coming out the other end are amazing :shock:  :shock:  Jess has had trouble with commercial diets as you might have read
--- End quote ---

I was surprised at how little waste my dogs produced when I first changed over too, compared to commercial diets. I have found over the years with some foods dogs can produce as much from that end as goes in their mouths :shock: I only have 1 dog on a natural diet now,  that`s down to time. Having several dogs I would find the preperation too time consuming.
I`m afraid I can`t advise on the amount to feed, I think it`s trial and error. A lot will depend on the age of the dog and the amount of excersise they get.
 One of the books you mentioned has the calorie requirements of different sized dogs. I remember thinking how the heck do you find out the calories in a chicken carcass :?
Let us know how you get on.
Tracey :D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version