Author Topic: Glucosamine  (Read 7647 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Glucosamine
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
Just come back from an emergency vets trip with my poor Ben  :'( he was in a lot of pain this morning with his back hunched and legs all splayed, he was dragging his back legs, I thought it was his spine and really panicked, but our lovely vet thinks more athritis in both hips and muscles spasms so he was in a lot of pain.

I have given him glucosamine in the past sporadically, when he has been stiff but not kept it up once he has been ok. The vet told me glucosamine hydrochloride is easier to metabolise for dogs and with chronditin if possible. I know some of you use this, can you tell me where to source it, a quick search has shown 100's of different tablets all with different doses and amounts of ingredients, its baffling so would like to know what you have used successfully.

Also she said he has a slight heart murmur, that's new, so do I need to worry about it, she didn't seem too concerned, I've not googled it as don't want to frighten myself, she said it can happen in older dogs does anyone have any experience of this. 

Thanks  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Glucosamine
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
Poor Ben, last place you want to be Christmas Day

Can't offer any advice - but just to say I hope he is as comfortable as possible as soon as possible and to send you a  :bigarmhug:

Don't know if this would be of any help?

http://www.fish4dogs.com/why-fish/joint-mobility.aspx
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
Hi, Riaflex Canine Joint plus is a superior product and has helped my dog a lot. It has glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, MSM, manganese, Vit C. Vit E. and Hyaluronic Acid.
We also use their Green Lipped Muscle.
They are also very helpful if you ring for advice.

Sorry no advice about heart murmurs though.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »
Poor Ben :'(. I hope he's more comfortable now and that your Christmas afternoon and evening are much more relaxed than this morning was :bigarmhug:

William is on Riaflex Joint Plus and so is his 13 year old Golden Retriever friend Ruby, who has severe arthritis in her back. Ruby also has acupuncture once every few weeks and hydrotherapy about three times a month and is raw fed. Her mum is sure that it's the combination of all those things, plus keeping Ruby very slim, that is keeping her pain free and mobile.

William has been on it for about three years. After he was diagnosed with lumbosacral disc damage five years ago I decided to do everything I could to try and help keep all of him supple and mobile, which he is. Of course I can't say for sure if the Riaflex helps, but there's no doubting that he's got good mobility for a dog of his age with damaged discs.

It's an expensive supplement, but I believe it has the highest concentration of glucosamine HCl, MSM and Chondroitin Sulphate of any of the supplements available.

My first Cocker, Josh, was diagnosed with a heart murmur and heart failure in later years. I can't remember which he was diagnosed with first (long time ago) but he was diagnosed with one when he was about 10 and the other a couple of years later. He was put on a low dose of medication and had no further heart problems and lived until almost 17.

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »
Our first two cockers had heart murmurs. Sometimes the vet could hear them and sometimes not. They never had medication for them and they were not the cause of their death at eight and thirteen.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »
Thanks all, its put my mind at rest about the heart murmur, it was a bit of a shock when she said it.

Will look at the Riaflex thanks Elaine, i have never consistently kept Ben on any supplements I tend to forget once he seems fine, but I think this time he needs long term help to keep athritis under control and as pain free as possible.

He is a lot better this evening standing and walking about ok but carefully. We got the stair gate out to stop him going upstairs and Harry had hysterics when he saw it and refuses to go anywhere near the stairs now  :D

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
Poor Ben  :'(

I give Harry Glycoflex III but he also has Cetyl-M for his hip dysplasia

Max is 9½ & still doing agility so also gets the Glycoflex

The Cetly-M definitely works for Harry

I think with these supplements it's finding what works, a lot of people swear by Riaflex & Yumove, but they weren't effective for Harry

Riaflex often have a discount code (let me know if you want it  ;) ) & were extremely helpful although suggested I may also need one of their other supplements as well as the Riaflex Joint Plus for Harry
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 06:00:44 PM »
Poor Ben . My beautiful girl Moss had arthritis and heart murmur , I had her until she was 15 and it was kidney failure that was the reason for us saying goodbye .

I used to feed moss on symply large breed dog food as it had joint supplements in and was a great help to moss .

We also took other practical measures -made a ramp for our back door so she didn't struggle with the big step , Equafleece suit with zip for winter as the cold effected her arthritis .

Vet bed in her dog bed as it seemed to keep her warm and comfy .

Moss didn't ever need medication for her heart murmur but like you we were shocked to find out about it , we used to have regular check ups at vets to keep an eye on it .

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
Only just seen this.
Poor Ben.  I hope you can make him more comfortable and try not to worry too much about the heart murmur.  I am pretty sure lots of older dogs have them and cause no problems. 
Big hugs to all of you.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
I missed this completely!  Firstly :bigarmhug:

I give Jarv Yumove Advance, I'm not sure if it makes a difference as he's not really got any noticeable joint problems.  One of my customers is an animal physio in Durham and I am going to seek out her recommendations down here in Wiltshire and book him in.   I figure that we could all do with a little gentle manipulation when we're more mature.  Could this be an idea for Ben?

helen & jarvis x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »
We give our Ruby (nearly 13) Yumove too and feel she is greatly improved on these tabs (better than on the Glucosamine supplement she took before). She has arthritis in her neck and spine but is pretty much ok most of the time (just occasionally she needs a few days of metacam if she has a flare up)
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »
Wilf age 11 (soon to be 12) was discovered to have a heart murmur last year but the vet didn't seem too concerned at the time and as he was at Langford anyway for other treatment he saw a cardiologist but they said he didn't need treatment for it. Plus its not something that has changed his life.

Am another to recommend an equafleece - he was often worse in winter (he has a random limp brought on by an incident/accident years ago) and vet suggested getting an equafleece - mind you I do wonder if I'll need to get one with a zip soon as am sure pullign him around doesn't help when I try to get the fleece on him
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
Am another to recommend an equafleece - he was often worse in winter (he has a random limp brought on by an incident/accident years ago) and vet suggested getting an equafleece - mind you I do wonder if I'll need to get one with a zip soon as am sure pullign him around doesn't help when I try to get the fleece on him

Yes we had to get a zip up equafleece for Ruby too as we can't manhandle her shoulders to get her in the normal "one piece" style.
Jane

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »

Yes we had to get a zip up equafleece for Ruby too as we can't manhandle her shoulders to get her in the normal "one piece" style.

Same with Tilly, there's no way she can get her front legs through the normal pull on style EF jumper, she doesn't have that forward range of motion in her shoulders any more. The zip one is still a bit faffy though, it doesn't open all the way down so you have to get their back legs through the hole at the back which she isn't super keen on either, I have to put it on the floor and step her back legs into it which isn't ideal if we're outside after a walk when it's wet and muddy. I've been considering giving up on the jumper style and ordering her one of the over the head coats :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »
William has a polo neck Equifleece coat and it's very easy to put on and take off and stays in place well without having to do the under the tummy buckle fastening tight. He wears it after wet walks and just snuggles up and settles down while he dries off.